Photo too red, hair not brown using Canon i560

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
February 6, 2005 1:25:41 PM

The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.

--Ben
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 6, 2005 4:28:13 PM

Plan9 wrote:
> The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
> tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
> and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
> a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
> Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
> matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.
>
> --Ben

Don't use Easyprint. Best solution is Photoshop, but it costs muchas
dineros. Pretty good solution: PMView 2000 Pro (costs a lot less), but
can't do text-in-picture. Free: Irfanview, a little less capable than
PMview. There are other freeware/shareware solutions, eg ACDSee,
Polaroid's Photomax, etc. Most of these are available for download and
free trial. Each has quirks and limitations, so some extensive
experimentation will be necessary.

HTH&GL
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 6, 2005 4:57:42 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:25:41 -0500, Plan9 <benzplan9@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
> tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
>and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
>a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
>Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
>matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.
>
>--Ben

There's a bunch of colour adjustment options in the print properties,
you might try that.

I find the default colour to be pretty decent for photo printing, but
usually when one or more colours is out of whack, it means that you
might be running low on one or more colours or an off-brand ink is
being employd.

MCheu
February 6, 2005 8:14:35 PM

Where I live it was 2/6/2005 1:28 PM, when Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
> Plan9 wrote:
>
>> The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
>> tint.
>
> Don't use Easyprint.

Good advice. Easy Print appears to have a mind of its own and sets
the printer to what it wants. Too bad because Easy Print is such a
nice program letting you pick and choose paper size, cropping, etc. in
a nice friendly interface. If you do not need to make any changes to
color and like what it picks I recommend it. Just don't try to
override its printer settings.

Ben
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 6, 2005 8:26:06 PM

Plan9 wrote:
> The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
> tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
> and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
> a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
> Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
> matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.
>
> --Ben

Hm...
i think changing anything from that program is hard.
Try to open priner settins (start/Printers and faxes/Canon i560/print
properties) and set color adjustment to manual. Then click "set" and reduce
magenta a bit and see if there are any results. If none, you'll have to
print photos from another program, since it can happen that easy photo sets
these data regarding to selected paper and thus ignoring your settings...
February 6, 2005 8:26:07 PM

Where I live it was 2/6/2005 11:26 AM, when SleeperMan wrote:

>>The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
>>tint.

> i think changing anything from that program is hard.
> Try to open priner settins (start/Printers and faxes/Canon i560/print
> properties) and set color adjustment to manual. Then click "set" and reduce
> magenta a bit and see if there are any results. If none, you'll have to
> print photos from another program, since it can happen that easy photo sets
> these data regarding to selected paper and thus ignoring your settings...

You are correct. Easy Print seems to be ignoring the settings made
via "start/Printers and faxes/Canon i560/properties". I changed to
Photoshop Elements and it obeys the printer settings. Thanks.

Ben
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 7, 2005 3:40:49 AM

wrote:

>The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
> tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
>and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
>a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
>Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
>matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.

Use software that allows you to make changes. Apart from that it'll be
totally hit and miss unless you want to purchase software which lets
you do colour management.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

I am using Photoshop elements 2 and am in the process of upgrading to PE3.
Retail, the program is less than $100 and it is often on sale for less on
the internet. There is a learning curve, but it is well worth it. Color
management appears to be quite good. I am printing on a Canon I960 with
excellent results - both with Canon inks and MIS inks. If the I560 has a
manual setting in the driver software instead of Automatic, use the manual
setting and start with no adjustments. I found that the unadjusted manual
setting was far superior to the automatic setting. You can then experiment
with adjustments in color and intensity to suit your taste. In photos with
flesh tones I set the intensity to -4. I found that the automatic setting
on the I960 gave more intense and more reddish tones that I didn't like.
Best not to give up control to the printer software! On the manual setting
your results will be more uniform and predictable and you can then adjust as
YOU wish.

I would encourage you to devote a little time to learning how to use better,
more complex software. You will be rewarded with much better results in
most cases. Kodak paper was a problem for me and I advise everyone to avoid
it on Epson or Canon printers. Canon and Epson papers work well, and the
Costco Kirkland Glossy Photo paper is also excellent. I have read that it
is made by Ilford.

"Plan9" <benzplan9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a reddish
> tint. Not really, really reddish, but just enough to be noticeable
> and hair is not as brown as it should be. How do I get them to print
> a little tan/browner? I'm using the Canon EasyPhoto Print software.
> Matte HP paper seems to be the worse, but it happens on gloss or
> matte; Canon, Kodak, HP, and Ilford.
>
> --Ben
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 7, 2005 12:17:46 PM

Plan9 wrote:
> Where I live it was 2/6/2005 11:26 AM, when SleeperMan wrote:
>
>>> The people in the photos that I print on my Canon i560 have a
>>> reddish tint.
>
>> i think changing anything from that program is hard.
>> Try to open priner settins (start/Printers and faxes/Canon i560/print
>> properties) and set color adjustment to manual. Then click "set" and
>> reduce magenta a bit and see if there are any results. If none,
>> you'll have to print photos from another program, since it can
>> happen that easy photo sets these data regarding to selected paper
>> and thus ignoring your settings...
>
> You are correct. Easy Print seems to be ignoring the settings made
> via "start/Printers and faxes/Canon i560/properties". I changed to
> Photoshop Elements and it obeys the printer settings. Thanks.
>
> Ben

This is similar like if you use kodak paper you can use their original
software for photo printing and it already contains all needed settings for
certain printers, like for Canon you must set magenta some 5 in negative
etc...with original kodak software you don't have to, since it does itself,
however problem occurs if those default settings are not good...
April 29, 2011 7:56:29 PM

Samething happens with the videos, I am a proffesional model and a platinum blonde but for some reason my hair shows like a golden blonde because the video recorder from Canon. See it in the webpage featuring my picture. I am at the left with a black dress.
!