install xp

Hi all,
I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I have win 98
installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and install XP, In
doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I have been told that if
you format a partitoned drive the whole drive will be formatted]. I like 98
but it's now harder to get support so I want to try XP.
-- Thanks in advance.
ron

3 GB is almost impossibly small for an XP system. Hell, it's barely
enough for a decent 98 system. If you do install XP to that 3 GB, you
won't have room for many applications, and it will be so cramped,
anyway, that you certainly won't get any decent idea of how well XP can
perform. Of course, there are other considerations involved--how much
RAM do you have, what speed CPU, what other hardware might not play well
with XP, etc.

17 GB is not the best size for Win98. You are wasting a ton of space by
forcing large clusters. How much of that partition is free space? Now
much of it is personal files?

Suggest you take careful stock of what you have on the disk already and
consider rearranging the whole thing with an eye toward reducing the
Win98 partition to 8GB, used only for OS and applications, and moving
personal files to a separate partition. It also sounds to me as if you
really don't have enough disk space, total, to decently install an
additional Windows XP. Strongly suggest you buy a new drive to use for
XP.

You were told wrong: Formatting only affects the partition you format.
In any case, XP Setup will take care of formatting if you go that way.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"ron.hosler" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I have
win 98
> installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and install
XP, In
> doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I have been told
that if
> you format a partitoned drive the whole drive will be formatted]. I
like 98
> but it's now harder to get support so I want to try XP.
> -- Thanks in advance.
> ron

Hi ron,

Installing XP on D drive will not affect your C drive in the manner in which
you've been told. The only time that I have ever seen formatting a
partitioned drive ending up formatting the entire drive as one partition was
in using a computer manufacturer's (I think it was a Compaq) Recovery or
Restore CD.........one which activated restoring an image file that was
stored on a hidden partition. What the XP install WILL do to the C drive is
create a copy of the WIN98 boot sector to a file named bootsect.dos, copy
NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, and create a BOOT.INI file on this drive.

What you might want to consider, however, is the fact that the install of XP
alone will take up 1/2 of the space allocated to Drive D. That won't allow
for too much else to be installed.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"ron.hosler" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I have win
98
> installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and install XP,
In
> doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I have been told that
if
> you format a partitoned drive the whole drive will be formatted]. I like
98
> but it's now harder to get support so I want to try XP.
> -- Thanks in advance.
> ron

Just to add to what already has been said.

Be aware that there two types of formatting, so to speak. The
first and most common is the one mentioned by the others. This
is the format option that initializes your drive letter, so if you
format drive e:, only that will be formatted. Any other drives
defined with FDISK (our other partitioning software) will be
left intact.

The second type of formatting, which is seldom used (and
almost never by the user) is the low level format of the hard drive.
This kind of formatting does affect the entire drive, but chances
are that you will never need to perform it. In any case, this type of
format operation is NOT available in Windows. This, if readily
available, is most likely present as an option within the BIOS
setup application. In some cases, you have to go to the drive's
manufacturer and download it from their web site.

Good luck!
Saga

"=?Utf-8?B?cm9uLmhvc2xlcg==?=" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:3408A376-C69F-4BE3-A0E9-AEEC5BD8414E@microsoft.com:

> Hi all,
> I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I have
> win 98 installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and
> install XP, In doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I
> have been told that if you format a partitoned drive the whole drive
> will be formatted]. I like 98 but it's now harder to get support so I
> want to try XP. -- Thanks in advance.

Gary's suggestion of getting another drive is the best. eBay has some
pretty good deals on smaller hard drives. Of course you could always use an
app like Partition Magic to resize your partitions, say like 10 and 10. I
guess that depends on how much you've already got on your C drive. I dual
boot 98 and XP. I have 15 gigs alloted to C drive and 20 to D. C is 2/3
full and D is half.
But 3 gigs is definitely not enough!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Hmmm... Too many "how do I partition?" threads going on. I could have
sworn it was John who said he had only 3 GB available for XP (turned out
he has 13.5.) John must be thinking I'm loony, <g>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> "=?Utf-8?B?cm9uLmhvc2xlcg==?=" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:3408A376-C69F-4BE3-A0E9-AEEC5BD8414E@microsoft.com:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I
have
> > win 98 installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and
> > install XP, In doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I
> > have been told that if you format a partitoned drive the whole drive
> > will be formatted]. I like 98 but it's now harder to get support so
> > want to try XP. -- Thanks in advance.
>
> Gary's suggestion of getting another drive is the best. eBay has some
> pretty good deals on smaller hard drives. Of course you could always
use an
> app like Partition Magic to resize your partitions, say like 10 and
10. I
> guess that depends on how much you've already got on your C drive. I
dual
> boot 98 and XP. I have 15 gigs alloted to C drive and 20 to D. C is
2/3
> full and D is half.
> But 3 gigs is definitely not enough!
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
mother. ---

Hi, again
Many thanks to all who posted information and advice. I think I'm going to
sit on this for a while and think it through. Looks very mutch like a new
hard drive is the order of the day!

Ron

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Hmmm... Too many "how do I partition?" threads going on. I could have
> sworn it was John who said he had only 3 GB available for XP (turned out
> he has 13.5.) John must be thinking I'm loony, <g>.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> > "=?Utf-8?B?cm9uLmhvc2xlcg==?=" <ronhosler@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote in news:3408A376-C69F-4BE3-A0E9-AEEC5BD8414E@microsoft.com:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > I have my 20gb. hard drive partitioned into C: 17gb and D:3gb. I
> have
> > > win 98 installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D: drive and
> > > install XP, In doing this will it affect my C: drive in any way? [I
> > > have been told that if you format a partitoned drive the whole drive
> > > will be formatted]. I like 98 but it's now harder to get support so
> > > want to try XP. -- Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Gary's suggestion of getting another drive is the best. eBay has some
> > pretty good deals on smaller hard drives. Of course you could always
> use an
> > app like Partition Magic to resize your partitions, say like 10 and
> 10. I
> > guess that depends on how much you've already got on your C drive. I
> dual
> > boot 98 and XP. I have 15 gigs alloted to C drive and 20 to D. C is
> 2/3
> > full and D is half.
> > But 3 gigs is definitely not enough!
> >
> > --
> > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your
> mother. ---

You're welcome :)

Regards,