Windows 98 Problems/Drivers

March 30, 2005

Dear Sir/Madame

I am on low income social security of $6000 yearly for medical problems and
have Windows 98 1st Edition for a Dell Latitude P166 notebook computer at
home but I have problems. I have no facilities to back up my files.

For some reason, some of my drivers in the computer are damaged. Though the
CD-ROM doesn't seem to work no more would I need to only uninstall the 98
upgrade to correct this or uninstall the Windows 95 also in order to renew
the drivers?

As I have no backup system, will I lose all files in My Documents folder in
either or both cases which are important?

Whenever the 98 or/and 95 are uninstalled, do the file names in My Documents
folder change to 8 characters? Upon reinstallation, will they go back to the
original filenames automatically.

I tried to connect to the Internet using Juno 4.0 to access Hotmail but it
would go no further than the sign-in page. Can you tell me why.

As I have library internet access once a week at a library, please send all
anwsers to my email address or call me as it will be hard for me to get the
answers.

Thank You Very Much,

Larry L. Johns
10 Nona Street, Room 401
Buckhannon, WV 26201-2773
U.S.A.

Tel. 304-472-8775
Email: wv304@hotmail.com
3 answers Last reply
More about windows problems drivers

    "wv304@hotmail.com" <wv304hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BE33DC26-4CB1-437E-AE41-55141DD888DE@microsoft.com...

    > have Windows 98 1st Edition for a Dell Latitude P166 notebook computer at
    > home but I have problems. I have no facilities to back up my files.
    >
    > For some reason, some of my drivers in the computer are damaged. Though
    the
    > CD-ROM doesn't seem to work no more would I need to only uninstall the 98
    > upgrade to correct this or uninstall the Windows 95 also in order to renew
    > the drivers?

    Drivers for what? Special Dell hardware drivers (e.g. if the
    CD drive needs them) may be available on the Dell web site.
    If you post again, say which drivers you need in case they
    can be conveniently provided. You probably need a working
    CD drive.

    > As I have no backup system, will I lose all files in My Documents folder
    in
    > either or both cases which are important?

    Reinstalling drivers or backing up will not alter these files.

    > Whenever the 98 or/and 95 are uninstalled, do the file names in My
    Documents
    > folder change to 8 characters? Upon reinstallation, will they go back to
    the
    > original filenames automatically.

    Win98 SULFNBK.EXE is supposed to maintain the
    long filenames for you.

    > I tried to connect to the Internet using Juno 4.0 to access Hotmail but it
    > would go no further than the sign-in page. Can you tell me why.

    Insufficient information here.
    See whether your local community has a seniors'
    computer support unit.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    [Probably] doesn't need a CD drive. If original OEM windows files are
    stored in c:\windows\options as is often the case. Then he could recover
    whatever files he needs using SFC, if he knows which specific files he
    needs.

    Of course this assumes that the original OEM files ARE in c:\windows\options

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "wv304@hotmail.com" <wv304hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:BE33DC26-4CB1-437E-AE41-55141DD888DE@microsoft.com...
    >
    > > have Windows 98 1st Edition for a Dell Latitude P166 notebook computer
    at
    > > home but I have problems. I have no facilities to back up my files.
    > >
    > > For some reason, some of my drivers in the computer are damaged. Though
    > the
    > > CD-ROM doesn't seem to work no more would I need to only uninstall the
    98
    > > upgrade to correct this or uninstall the Windows 95 also in order to
    renew
    > > the drivers?
    >
    > Drivers for what? Special Dell hardware drivers (e.g. if the
    > CD drive needs them) may be available on the Dell web site.
    > If you post again, say which drivers you need in case they
    > can be conveniently provided. You probably need a working
    > CD drive.
    >
    > > As I have no backup system, will I lose all files in My Documents folder
    > in
    > > either or both cases which are important?
    >
    > Reinstalling drivers or backing up will not alter these files.
    >
    > > Whenever the 98 or/and 95 are uninstalled, do the file names in My
    > Documents
    > > folder change to 8 characters? Upon reinstallation, will they go back
    > the
    > > original filenames automatically.
    >
    > Win98 SULFNBK.EXE is supposed to maintain the
    > long filenames for you.
    >
    > > I tried to connect to the Internet using Juno 4.0 to access Hotmail but
    it
    > > would go no further than the sign-in page. Can you tell me why.
    >
    > Insufficient information here.
    > See whether your local community has a seniors'
    > computer support unit.
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    What type of disk/s came with the computer, Restore and/or Recovery? You must be
    careful with disks supplied from the manufacturer as most will format (wipe the
    drive clean of all data) while others allow you to reinstall software/hardware
    aside from the OS. If you uninstall an OS you will lose all data which will then
    involve reinstalling the OS, software and hardware drivers. All of your
    important files will be gone and the only possible chance for recovery is with
    special software which will not guarantee recovery 100%, especially if the
    machine is used and the space where the files were overwritten.

    Check here for info:
    http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/software/oswin98/win98/9741e/drivers.htm

    or here:
    http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/software/oswin98/win98/9741e/Index.htm

    or here selecting Support:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg_special49?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "wv304@hotmail.com" <wv304hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > March 30, 2005
    >
    > Dear Sir/Madame
    >
    > I am on low income social security of $6000 yearly for medical problems and
    > have Windows 98 1st Edition for a Dell Latitude P166 notebook computer at
    > home but I have problems. I have no facilities to back up my files.
    >
    > For some reason, some of my drivers in the computer are damaged. Though the
    > CD-ROM doesn't seem to work no more would I need to only uninstall the 98
    > upgrade to correct this or uninstall the Windows 95 also in order to renew
    > the drivers?
    >
    > As I have no backup system, will I lose all files in My Documents folder in
    > either or both cases which are important?
    >
    > Whenever the 98 or/and 95 are uninstalled, do the file names in My Documents
    > folder change to 8 characters? Upon reinstallation, will they go back to the
    > original filenames automatically.
    >
    > I tried to connect to the Internet using Juno 4.0 to access Hotmail but it
    > would go no further than the sign-in page. Can you tell me why.
    >
    > As I have library internet access once a week at a library, please send all
    > anwsers to my email address or call me as it will be hard for me to get the
    > answers.
    >
    > Thank You Very Much,
    >
    > Larry L. Johns
    > 10 Nona Street, Room 401