USB Driver Installation on 98+

Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it requiring
Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help with
software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works. Will
nell install of 98 install USB.
Mike

I have no idea what you are asking. USB drivers for what? Please provide some
details of what you are doing, what you are trying to do, and include any error
messages in their entirety.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it requiring
> Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help with
> software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works. Will
> nell install of 98 install USB.
> Mike

SWAT

LOL, adding on glen advise, pls be specific on what you trying to ask. Best
would be to give us the model of your motherboard and what OS you're
currently using so that we can direct you to the right location to the
donwload the usb drivers if you're indeed looking for one.

"glee" wrote:

> I have no idea what you are asking. USB drivers for what? Please provide some
> details of what you are doing, what you are trying to do, and include any error
> messages in their entirety.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it requiring
> > Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help with
> > software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works. Will
> > nell install of 98 install USB.
> > Mike

Am having trouble understanding the post. However, I did get that the USB
controllers have no drivers installed. And you must have added USB hardware
that requires 98SE.
You never indicated:
What hardware you installed.
If you installed any software to address that hardware.
If you ever installed 98SE after acquiring it.
Whether the USB controller is the enhanced version (2.0), or not.
"Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it
requiring
> Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help
with
> software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works.
Will
> nell install of 98 install USB.
> Mike

I have a computer that has lost its Motherboard USB controller
Drivers via virus that have been removed. Any attempt to reinstall USB
function is rejected by Microsoft. Following normal procedure to reinstall
Driver has failed, stating the need for a Windows 98 2nd edition Disk. After
obtaining this disk, it stating that files needed is not on this disk. All
attempts to reinstall USB Controller, Communications, & 1394 ODI Driver have
failed.
Mike

"glee" wrote:

> I have no idea what you are asking. USB drivers for what? Please provide some
> details of what you are doing, what you are trying to do, and include any error
> messages in their entirety.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>
> "Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it requiring
> > Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help with
> > software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works. Will
> > nell install of 98 install USB.
> > Mike

We still need to know what motherboard you have.....either motherboard brand and
model, or the brand and model of the computer if it is a major company (Dell, H-P,
Compaq).

Please provide specific details. Writing "any attempt to reinstall USB function is
rejected by Microsoft" really does not tell us much. What exactly happens, what
error messages do you receive, after what exact procedure?

> attempts to reinstall USB Controller, Communications, & 1394 ODI Driver have
failed.

"Communications is likely a network card or modem. Windows 98 likely does not have
a driver for those, and you either need to install them from whatever driver disk
came with them, or identify and download the drivers from the web site of the
component's manufacturer. Likewise most of the other drivers.

What virus exactly did you have, and what procedure did you use to remove it
--

> I have a computer that has lost its Motherboard USB controller
> Drivers via virus that have been removed. Any attempt to reinstall USB
> function is rejected by Microsoft. Following normal procedure to reinstall
> Driver has failed, stating the need for a Windows 98 2nd edition Disk. After
> obtaining this disk, it stating that files needed is not on this disk. All
> attempts to reinstall USB Controller, Communications, & 1394 ODI Driver have
> failed.
> Mike
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what you are asking. USB drivers for what? Please provide some
> > details of what you are doing, what you are trying to do, and include any error
> > messages in their entirety.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >
> > "Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Lost USB drivers on Windows 98, can not reinstall drivers w/out it requiring
> > > Windows 98 2nd edition. Got that and USB will not install. Please help with
> > > software for installation of USB Controller, drivers. Nothing works. Will
> > > nell install of 98 install USB.
> > > Mike

98SE does have drivers for most USB 1.1 and VIA IEEE 1394 controllers. The
drivers, if provided by the PC or motherboard maker, would probably be best
suited as you imply. A modem or NIC driver may be onboard the motherboard,
or a separate card. So, it can be a PC or mobo related, or the card or chip
maker to source the driver. You're right need lots more info. In some
cases, the drivers may still be in their proper locations, just need to
point at the right "inf" file location when attempting to reinstall.

Its very unusual, to have both IEEE 1394 (Firewire) and USB onboard a PC as
part of the motherboard. I would suspect the individual has a dual
firewire/USB 2.0 card.

A virus removal should not affect hardware drivers unless, by nonintention,
unrelated material in the registry was removed as well. I would suspect the
individual posting is lacking knowledge in what's under the PC hood. And,
critical to giving the proper information to implement operation of this
hardware.
> We still need to know what motherboard you have.....either motherboard
brand and
> model, or the brand and model of the computer if it is a major company
(Dell, H-P,
> Compaq).
>
> Please provide specific details. Writing "any attempt to reinstall USB
function is
> rejected by Microsoft" really does not tell us much. What exactly
happens, what
> error messages do you receive, after what exact procedure?
>
> > attempts to reinstall USB Controller, Communications, & 1394 ODI Driver
have
> failed.
>
> "Communications is likely a network card or modem. Windows 98 likely does
not have
> a driver for those, and you either need to install them from whatever
driver disk
> came with them, or identify and download the drivers from the web site of
the
> component's manufacturer. Likewise most of the other drivers.
>
> What virus exactly did you have, and what procedure did you use to remove
it
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a computer that has lost its Motherboard USB controller
> > Drivers via virus that have been removed. Any attempt to reinstall USB
> > function is rejected by Microsoft. Following normal procedure to
reinstall
> > Driver has failed, stating the need for a Windows 98 2nd edition Disk.
After
> > obtaining this disk, it stating that files needed is not on this disk.
All
> > attempts to reinstall USB Controller, Communications, & 1394 ODI Driver
have
> > failed.
> > Mike
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > I have no idea what you are asking. USB drivers for what? Please
provide some
> > > details of what you are doing, what you are trying to do, and include
any error
> > > messages in their entirety.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >
> > > "Mike Rawls" <MikeRawls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

My Asus AT7 mobo has USB 1.1 (3 headers for 6 channels), USB 2.0 (2
headers for 4 channels) and IEEE 1394 (Firewire, 2 connectors) onboard.

And I'm using most of them...Sweet...

Just wish there was enough room in this case for all the drives that the
RAID array supports. I'd use them, too!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Its very unusual, to have both IEEE 1394 (Firewire) and USB onboard a
PC as
> part of the motherboard. I would suspect the individual has a dual
> firewire/USB 2.0 card.

Can't find my Antec case online anymore.
It looks like this:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81003
Except it has six 5.25" open external bays. No built-in Firewire/USB ports
up front. Added an Asus system monitor display w/ two USB ports up front.
modified a 5.25" blank panel to hold activity LEDs for both the Promise and
SCSI controller cards. The remaining external bays are populated by two
different removable hard drive trays, one scsi cdrom, and a DVD burner. One
external 3.5" bay has a scsi tape drive, the other is an LS-120 floppy drive
that still works well.
All the fan internal holders are populated. There's no quieting this many
fans, so I didn't even try. Gutted a two drive 3.5" metal frame from
another PC
and mounted it to the floor of the case. Case now holds 6 HDs internally
without using the external 5.25" area. One scsi died, so only 5 occupy it
now.
Moved recently. Gave one recently built PC to my grandkids. The other, a
Pentium, is sitting in the closet. All were networked in the old house.
Had to do away with that. Added a Firewire card, but had to disable the
built-in LAN port to effect operability. Run one 60GB hard drive off the
firewire port for exchange of data with my laptop.

For more internal 3.5" bays, you may try this:
http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=22
or
http://store.jinco4me.com/17bayfisecam.html
> My Asus AT7 mobo has USB 1.1 (3 headers for 6 channels), USB 2.0 (2
> headers for 4 channels) and IEEE 1394 (Firewire, 2 connectors) onboard.
>
> And I'm using most of them...Sweet...
>
> Just wish there was enough room in this case for all the drives that the
> RAID array supports. I'd use them, too!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > Its very unusual, to have both IEEE 1394 (Firewire) and USB onboard a
> PC as
> > part of the motherboard. I would suspect the individual has a dual
> > firewire/USB 2.0 card.

I have five drives in there now, all 80GB Maxtors. But the mobo could
handle 10, with 8 on the RAID. I'd have loved to have it set up as
Striped+Mirrored using 80 GB disks, for 320 GB capacity.

Anyway, I'm guessing the PWS and some other things would prohibit
running that many disks, even if I could fit them all in there. That's
OK. I'll be switching to a server/domain networking setup at the new
house and storing files and daily backups, etc., on the server instead
of making this machine do it all. Ought to speed things up considerably.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User