System Info tool with missing MSVCRT40.DLL file

I have a pc with W98 installed by Dell originally, and upgraded it to W98 SE
on
my own. Recently, I was unable to open System Information tool. The error
messages indicated:

1."A required DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT40.DLL WAS NOT FOUND."
(I checked - it was indeed missing.)

2. "Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\Common
Files\MicrosoftShared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE' (or one of its components)"
(I checked - it was there, last modfied 4/23/99, 140,360bytes, Version
4.10.2222.)

Also about 50% of the links in "Window Help" were non-functional.

Dell Support suggested I run a spyware scan by Ad-aware. It found 13
instances of Win32.Swen.A, removed them, but did not eliminated the symptoms
above. The Ad-Aware scan log indicated the registry tool might have been
affected. Following up with McAfee (which missed the Swen bugs by regular
local scans) on-line scan and the Stinger tool did nothing to correct the
problems. McAfee suggested that I reinstall W98 SE.

Meanwhile, I was able to open Regedit and MSconfig from the Start>>Run
window, and System File Checker by clicking in the link from W98 Help. Did
not attempt to run them for I am not familiar with these operations. All
other application I use frequently seemed to function normally.

I would like to get rid of these problem with the System Info tool, but
wonder
if reinstalling W98 SE is too drastic. Could you help by telling me:

1. Is my problem a serious one?

2. Is reinstalling W98 SE necessary?

3. I found the following zipped files on my W98 SE install disk:

F:\win98\WIN98_37.CAB\msvcrt40.dll (336KB, 4/23/99)
F:\win98\WIN98_46.CAB\msinfo32 (140 KB, 4/23/99)

Will extracting one of both of them cure the problem?

Two related questions:
3a. What is the purpose of msvcrt40.dll?
3b. Do both of these files change after installation to reflect new
applications added to the pc?

4. Will I need to reinstall all applications installed after the last
installation of W98SE if I do the W98 SE reinstall?

5. Any other solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

niwhsreg

--
Here to learn more

"niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a pc with W98 installed by Dell originally, and upgraded it to W98 SE
>on
>my own. Recently, I was unable to open System Information tool. The error
>messages indicated:
>
>1."A required DLL file, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT40.DLL WAS NOT FOUND."
>(I checked - it was indeed missing.)
>
>2. "Cannot find the file 'C:\Program Files\Common
>Files\MicrosoftShared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE' (or one of its components)"
>(I checked - it was there, last modfied 4/23/99, 140,360bytes, Version
>4.10.2222.)
>
>Also about 50% of the links in "Window Help" were non-functional.
>
>Dell Support suggested I run a spyware scan by Ad-aware. It found 13
>instances of Win32.Swen.A, removed them, but did not eliminated the symptoms
>above. The Ad-Aware scan log indicated the registry tool might have been
>affected. Following up with McAfee (which missed the Swen bugs by regular
>local scans) on-line scan and the Stinger tool did nothing to correct the
>problems. McAfee suggested that I reinstall W98 SE.
>
>Meanwhile, I was able to open Regedit and MSconfig from the Start>>Run
>window, and System File Checker by clicking in the link from W98 Help. Did
>not attempt to run them for I am not familiar with these operations. All
>other application I use frequently seemed to function normally.
>
>I would like to get rid of these problem with the System Info tool, but
>wonder
>if reinstalling W98 SE is too drastic. Could you help by telling me:
>
>1. Is my problem a serious one?
>
>2. Is reinstalling W98 SE necessary?
>
>3. I found the following zipped files on my W98 SE install disk:
>
>F:\win98\WIN98_37.CAB\msvcrt40.dll (336KB, 4/23/99)
>F:\win98\WIN98_46.CAB\msinfo32 (140 KB, 4/23/99)
>
>Will extracting one of both of them cure the problem?
>
>Two related questions:
>3a. What is the purpose of msvcrt40.dll?
>3b. Do both of these files change after installation to reflect new
>applications added to the pc?
>
>4. Will I need to reinstall all applications installed after the last
>installation of W98SE if I do the W98 SE reinstall?
>
>5. Any other solutions?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>

>niwhsreg

MSVCRT40.DLL is a runtime library for the Microsoft Visual C
programming language and is used by many programs and utilities.

Extract a new copy of the file and put it into the c:\windows\system
folder. Then reboot the computer and see if this also resolves the
problem with the System Information utility has been resolved.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion. This is the closest I have gotten to a solution
so far. Can I assume this procedure is risk-free if properly executed?

To help me further understand the implication, could you answer question 3b
in my original post?

With much appreciation,

Niwhsreg

niwhsreg wrote:

> (SNIP)
>>>Two related questions:
>>>3a. What is the purpose of msvcrt40.dll?
>>>3b. Do both of these files change after installation to reflect new
>>>applications added to the pc?
>>>
>>>4. Will I need to reinstall all applications installed after the last
>>>installation of W98SE if I do the W98 SE reinstall?
>>>
>>>5. Any other solutions?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for your help,
>>>

>>>niwhsreg
>>
>>MSVCRT40.DLL is a runtime library for the Microsoft Visual C
>>programming language and is used by many programs and utilities.
>>
>>Extract a new copy of the file and put it into the c:\windows\system
>>folder. Then reboot the computer and see if this also resolves the
>>problem with the System Information utility has been resolved.
>>
>>Good luck
>>

>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>--
>>Microsoft MVP
>>On-Line Help Computer Service
>>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I'm not familiar with msinfo32, but the msvcrt40.dll should remain
unchanged. The DLL file type is a Dynamic Link Library that normally
contains program code and the data structure definitions.

"RobertVA" wrote:

> niwhsreg wrote:
>
> > (SNIP)

> >>MSVCRT40.DLL is a runtime library for the Microsoft Visual C
> >>programming language and is used by many programs and utilities.
> >>
> >>Extract a new copy of the file and put it into the c:\windows\system
> >>folder. Then reboot the computer and see if this also resolves the
> >>problem with the System Information utility has been resolved.
> >>
> >>Good luck
> >>

> >>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> >>--
> >>Microsoft MVP
> >>On-Line Help Computer Service
> >>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >>
> >>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> >>http://aumha.org/alex.htm
> >>
> I'm not familiar with msinfo32, but the msvcrt40.dll should remain
> unchanged. The DLL file type is a Dynamic Link Library that normally
> contains program code and the data structure definitions.

Robert,

OK. If the msvcrt40.dll file does not change afterinstallation, then it
should be safe to extract it. I will give the extraction a try. Should I
back up something before the extraction?

Thanks,

niwhsreg

If you use SFC.EXE to Extract a single file, IIRC, it should save a
backup automatically.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
> > niwhsreg wrote:
> >
> > > (SNIP)

c:\windows\system

> > I'm not familiar with msinfo32, but the msvcrt40.dll should remain
> > unchanged. The DLL file type is a Dynamic Link Library that normally
> > contains program code and the data structure definitions.
> >

> Robert,
>
> OK. If the msvcrt40.dll file does not change afterinstallation, then
it
> should be safe to extract it. I will give the extraction a try.
Should I
> back up something before the extraction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> niwhsreg

Hi Gary,

I am not familiar with "IIRC". Would you tell me what it is, where to find
Help info about it, and where to find it on my W98 SE install disk?

Thanks,
niwhsreg

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> If you use SFC.EXE to Extract a single file, IIRC, it should save a
> backup automatically.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> new

> last

> c:\windows\system
> the

> > > I'm not familiar with msinfo32, but the msvcrt40.dll should remain
> > > unchanged. The DLL file type is a Dynamic Link Library that normally
> > > contains program code and the data structure definitions.
> > >

> > Robert,
> >
> > OK. If the msvcrt40.dll file does not change afterinstallation, then
> it
> > should be safe to extract it. I will give the extraction a try.
> Should I
> > back up something before the extraction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > niwhsreg

Sorry, my choice of sentence structure lead to a serious
misunderstanding. IIRC is simply an acronym for "If I Recall Correctly."

All I'm saying is that I *think* that when you use SFC to "Extract a
single file..." that SFC saves a backup in a folder called
C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc (assuming C:\Windows is your Windows directory.)

--

> Hi Gary,
>
> I am not familiar with "IIRC". Would you tell me what it is, where to
find
> Help info about it, and where to find it on my W98 SE install disk?
>
> Thanks,
> niwhsreg
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > If you use SFC.EXE to Extract a single file, IIRC, it should save a
> > backup automatically.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > new

> > last

> > c:\windows\system
> > the

> > > Robert,
> > >
> > > OK. If the msvcrt40.dll file does not change afterinstallation,
then
> > it
> > > should be safe to extract it. I will give the extraction a try.
> > Should I
> > > back up something before the extraction?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > niwhsreg

"niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ron,
>
>Thanks for the suggestion. This is the closest I have gotten to a solution
>so far. Can I assume this procedure is risk-free if properly executed?
>
>To help me further understand the implication, could you answer question 3b
>in my original post?
>
>With much appreciation,
>
>Niwhsreg

Installing applications that use this file will not change the file
itself. However from time to time it is possible that new versions of
the file will be released by Microsoft and it is then possible that a
new application will install the updated version of the file,
replacing the original. The updated version, except in extremely
rare circumstances, will be backwards compatible with the older
versions.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks, Ron. This is almost 100% assuring. I will proceed to extract a new
copy of the MSVCRT40.dll.

niwhsreg

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ron,
> >
> >Thanks for the suggestion. This is the closest I have gotten to a solution
> >so far. Can I assume this procedure is risk-free if properly executed?
> >
> >To help me further understand the implication, could you answer question 3b
> >in my original post?
> >
> >With much appreciation,
> >
> >Niwhsreg
> >

> Installing applications that use this file will not change the file
> itself. However from time to time it is possible that new versions of
> the file will be released by Microsoft and it is then possible that a
> new application will install the updated version of the file,
> replacing the original. The updated version, except in extremely
> rare circumstances, will be backwards compatible with the older
> versions.
>
> Hope this explains the situation.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

HAGGIS

> Thanks, Ron. This is almost 100% assuring. I will proceed to extract a
> new
> copy of the MSVCRT40.dll.
>
> niwhsreg
>
> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> "niwhsreg" <niwhsreg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Ron,
>> >
>> >Thanks for the suggestion. This is the closest I have gotten to a
>> >solution
>> >so far. Can I assume this procedure is risk-free if properly executed?
>> >
>> >To help me further understand the implication, could you answer question
>> >3b
>> >in my original post?
>> >
>> >With much appreciation,
>> >
>> >Niwhsreg
>> >

>> Installing applications that use this file will not change the file
>> itself. However from time to time it is possible that new versions of
>> the file will be released by Microsoft and it is then possible that a
>> new application will install the updated version of the file,
>> replacing the original. The updated version, except in extremely
>> rare circumstances, will be backwards compatible with the older
>> versions.
>>
>> Hope this explains the situation.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

the libraries can be downloaded here if you need them

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/vb_runtime_files.html

> Sorry, my choice of sentence structure lead to a serious
> misunderstanding. IIRC is simply an acronym for "If I Recall Correctly."
>
> All I'm saying is that I *think* that when you use SFC to "Extract a
> single file..." that SFC saves a backup in a folder called
> C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc (assuming C:\Windows is your Windows directory.)

There are 3 options under Settings

1 Always Backup
2 Prompt for Backup
3 Never Backup

I suspect that I changed the default at some time,
so I hesitate to state categorically that "Always"
is the default.

I was thinking of that option, also. But not only am I not certain of
the default setting, I'm also not certain that it applies to the
"Extract a single file" function. But in this case, I'd want to be sure
and save a copy of the current version of MSVCRT40.DLL in case restoring
the original broke some more recent app.

Of course, before the fools at MS destroyed the DLL Help Database, my
SOP was to find out where the installed version of the DLL came from in
order to replace it with the same version, or to otherwise figure out
just what should be done. I currently have one special mission to
complete when I visit Redmond this fall, and that's to find the idiot
and give him (or her) a serious dressing down.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I was thinking of that option, also. But not only am I not certain of
> the default setting, I'm also not certain that it applies to the
> "Extract a single file" function.

It does. I know that for a fact. I have synchronized a machine,
and then later restored a file or three, separately,
and it has saved the old file for me in C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc

> But in this case, I'd want to be sure
> and save a copy of the current version of MSVCRT40.DLL in case restoring
> the original broke some more recent app.

No harm in more than one backup, I always say,
as long as you remember "what's what, where".

> Of course, before the fools at MS destroyed the DLL Help Database,

I can feel the love flowing.............

> my SOP was to find out where the installed version of the DLL came from in
> order to replace it with the same version, or to otherwise figure out
> just what should be done. I currently have one special mission to
> complete when I visit Redmond this fall, and that's to find the idiot
> and give him (or her) a serious dressing down.

Don't forget the fava beans! Maybe a nice Chianti?

We'll do lunch...........

You may find the link below to be of some use,
particularly the reference to the DEFAULT.SFC file hierarchy problem

http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/64/876.html?975773705

Nothing like having two different mode versions of the same file
- with the same name - in the CAB files - and then restoring
using the wrong version - to liven up your day.

Or pointing an unsophisticated user or ten to SFC,
have this happen to them, and then get called
- with some justification - every name under the sun
for steering them wrong.

> > I was thinking of that option, also. But not only am I not certain
of
> > the default setting, I'm also not certain that it applies to the
> > "Extract a single file" function.
>
> It does. I know that for a fact. I have synchronized a machine,
> and then later restored a file or three, separately,
> and it has saved the old file for me in C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc

Good to have confirmation, Thanks!

> > But in this case, I'd want to be sure
> > and save a copy of the current version of MSVCRT40.DLL in case
restoring
> > the original broke some more recent app.
>
> No harm in more than one backup, I always say,
> as long as you remember "what's what, where".
> >
> > Of course, before the fools at MS destroyed the DLL Help Database,
>
> I can feel the love flowing.............

heh, heh...

> > my SOP was to find out where the installed version of the DLL came
from in
> > order to replace it with the same version, or to otherwise figure
out
> > just what should be done. I currently have one special mission to
> > complete when I visit Redmond this fall, and that's to find the
idiot
> > and give him (or her) a serious dressing down.
>
> Don't forget the fava beans! Maybe a nice Chianti?
>
> We'll do lunch...........

Excellent idea!

> You may find the link below to be of some use,
> particularly the reference to the DEFAULT.SFC file hierarchy problem
>
> http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/64/876.html?975773705

Again, I thank you. But are you sure that's the article you wanted to
cite, and not this one?
http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/64/1065.html?975884525

> Nothing like having two different mode versions of the same file
> - with the same name - in the CAB files - and then restoring
> using the wrong version - to liven up your day.
>
> Or pointing an unsophisticated user or ten to SFC,
> have this happen to them, and then get called
> - with some justification - every name under the sun
> for steering them wrong.

SFC is one of the most treacherous tools in Windows 98. And that's
saying a lot.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>
> > You may find the link below to be of some use,
> > particularly the reference to the DEFAULT.SFC file hierarchy problem
> >
> > http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/64/876.html?975773705
>
> Again, I thank you. But are you sure that's the article you wanted to
> cite, and not this one?
> http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/64/1065.html?975884525

Shoot. I actually noticed that before I posted,
and went back to the site and got the correct SFC link,
rather than the MSCONFIG link that I posted.

I know I copied it, but obviously I forgot to paste it.

Sorry. Glad you caught it. Thanks.

| and give him (or her) a serious dressing down.

Make it a double-serious dressing down, if it's a her! With pictures!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| I was thinking of that option, also. But not only am I not certain of
| the default setting, I'm also not certain that it applies to the
| "Extract a single file" function. But in this case, I'd want to be
sure
| and save a copy of the current version of MSVCRT40.DLL in case
restoring
| the original broke some more recent app.
|
| Of course, before the fools at MS destroyed the DLL Help Database, my
| SOP was to find out where the installed version of the DLL came from
in
| order to replace it with the same version, or to otherwise figure out
| just what should be done. I currently have one special mission to
| complete when I visit Redmond this fall, and that's to find the idiot
| and give him (or her) a serious dressing down.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
| >
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > > Sorry, my choice of sentence structure lead to a serious
| > > misunderstanding. IIRC is simply an acronym for "If I Recall
| Correctly."
| > >
| > > All I'm saying is that I *think* that when you use SFC to "Extract
| > > single file..." that SFC saves a backup in a folder called
| > > C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc (assuming C:\Windows is your Windows
| directory.)
| >
| > There are 3 options under Settings
| >
| > 1 Always Backup
| > 2 Prompt for Backup
| > 3 Never Backup
| >
| > I suspect that I changed the default at some time,
| > so I hesitate to state categorically that "Always"
| > is the default.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts