Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trouble installing new video card on emachine.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2006 3:51:33 PM

Hi all. I just bought an emachines T6528 with onboard video. It has a pcie slot for great upgradability. However i cannont get the onboard vide to disable so i can install the new x1300 pro from Ati that i got. I have disabled it in device manager, uninstalled the nvidia drivers, and gone into the bios. There is not a disable feature in the bios, but a place to switch the onboard or the pci express to the primary video. Below that is a place to select the amount of ram being used by onboard, and i switched that from 128 to disabled. After all that i shut down and switch to the new card but the monitor stays black and onboard still works. If i look at system ram it still shows 896 megs instead of the full gig it should if the ram has been taken away from onboard. So i think maybe i need a bios upgrade to add the disable onboard video. Need help getting the proper bios version to upgrade to etc. If you have any other ideas i would be grateful. The Ati card does come on, the fan is running etc but the monitor does not come on. Anyone with any ideas or who has done this help please lol. Thanks

More about : trouble installing video card emachine

May 6, 2006 3:05:42 AM

First of all,make sure your monitor cable is plugged into your video card, and not the onboard video, that might be why your screen stayed black. You shouldnt need to go into the BIOS for any of this. Disable your onboard video, have the drivers for your x1300 on your pc, install the card, turn on and it say "Found new hardware!" YAY! :D  install it and thats it. thats what i did with mine, there shouldnt be any problems. answer me back if you get this, cause no one has answered my posts yet either :lol: 
May 7, 2006 4:29:51 PM

Thanx for the reply. No i plugged it into the video card lol. Anyway i gave up and returned my video cards for now. My 2nd monitor is gone to my sister now with my old pc. One day i will get the nerve to try again. Do you have the same emachine T6528? I have read about others having problems with emachines onboard video. It just doesnt want to cut out and let the video card take over for some reason. Be happy to hear back from ya if you read this , Thanx. Or anyone else lol in case i decide to try again later
Related resources
May 11, 2006 12:51:07 AM

I have an HP, its using an Asus motherboard. If your motherboard is junk(Asus isn't) you might have a problem, i had none. Check for BIOS updates. thats about all i can think of. if the motherboard on some of the e-machines is f*cked, and wont disable onboard video, ur kinda f*cked also.

good luck
PS. might be ur OS
May 11, 2006 2:04:01 AM

emmm

u try just plugging in the card ??

u know the card can override the onboard video .....

:/ 

u dont need to disable the onboard video

:D 
May 20, 2006 7:33:40 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know I got an nvidia pci express card working with no problems. Seems that was all i neeed, the ati just didnt get along with my onboard nvidia setup, and pci regular was not detected. But anyway i got two monitors going now and a better graphics engine so i am happy. thanx
July 31, 2009 2:25:11 AM

slick7218 said:
Just wanted to let you guys know I got an nvidia pci express card working with no problems. Seems that was all i neeed, the ati just didnt get along with my onboard nvidia setup, and pci regular was not detected. But anyway i got two monitors going now and a better graphics engine so i am happy. thanx

Hello Slick, can you be more specific on this? I am having the same problem, what did you do to get the monitor to recognize the new video card? I cannot attach the video card to the monitor because of the different plug.
November 26, 2009 2:05:12 AM

I have a T6412 Emachine and all I had to do to add a PCI Express graphics card is ...
using the onboard card, I went into Control Panel/System/Hardward/Device Manager...
right clicked on the onboard video and selected disable. The system asked if I was sure, I clicked yes, and then selected to reboot. After shut down but before it could restart I turned the computer off, installed the new card, plugged the monitor into it and it was finally detected.

Next I installed the new PCI cards software, and set up the display settings to my liking, and all is good now.

John
Anonymous
April 3, 2010 7:41:38 PM

Hello - I have a similar problem with a emachine T6216. I must add a video card as the on-board video is not working. So I have a new PCI-express GeoForce card. I have inserted it just fine, but I still have no video. I'm guessing I need to either edit the BIOS setting or disable on-board. The problem is... how am I going to do that when the machine won't boot (and me see it) because the on-board video doesn't work? See how I'm stuck here? Any help on how to disable on-board video or change BIOS setting with a jumper setting or other way is appreciated! ThankS
October 2, 2010 6:28:32 PM

Hello:

This is the Computer Hospital Toronto, Canada and I am just diagnosing a similar problem with an Emachines T6216 that had no video from the onboard video but I was able to insert an old style PCI Vieo Card into the PCI slot and get video. ( I still have some these around ). Now I can get video and enter the bios. The system also boots OK from this card and it does recognize the onboard video which is Nvidia but I suspect the onboard video may be damaged because the power supply was giving out faulty voltage and I replaced it. I have not tried the PCI-E card yet so I am hoping THAT will solve the issue.
many times in the past we have been able to get into systems by inserting PCI cards in for the video. The PCI Video is a very BASIC input system and seems to be more easily supported by the Bios on most machines.

Hope this will help you and others working on these kinds of issues.
Regards, SF
October 2, 2010 10:54:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!