Windows Updates for 98?

I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I want
to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
install updates.

Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
updates and burn to CD and install for him.

Any suggestions please?
Susan
19 answers Last reply
More about windows updates

    Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
    download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
    Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973

    There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
    Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.

    However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
    ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
    patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
    download them on some other machine and transfer them.

    Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
    MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
    that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
    least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
    installed if it causes no problems.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    want
    > to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
    have
    > installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004
    > install updates.
    >
    > Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to
    install.
    > His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
    It
    > is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious
    because
    > the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95%
    or
    > more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and
    save
    > updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?
    > Susan

    I would download mozilla firefox and thunderbird and switch his email and
    web sufing to that. This isn't a fix all or much more then a bandaid
    either. What it will do is cut down on 90% or more of the spyware
    infections as well as smoe of the other malware you can get from running IE
    without all the patches.

    I would also try to get the patches from another computer with a faster
    conection if possible. Once the updates are installed you would be truly
    safe. AOL 9 running on only 128meg ram is probably painfully slow anyways. I
    would suggest either upgradeing the ram or downgrading AOL to version 8 wich
    would give a performance boost as well as help the overal "feel". AOL 9
    also has its own spyware scanner. It is reasonably good but i would suggest
    running adaware and spybot search and destroy in addition. One spyscanner
    usualy isn't going to catch everything.

    As for the system load getting upto 95%, I am assuming that you are
    refering to the system resources and no the memory being used. Contrary to
    popular belief, this has nothign to do with the amount of memory installed.
    It has to do with the resource heaps that programs use to validate
    different functions of the program. It is a little dificult to explain in a
    single post like this but basicaly back in the old days, instead of each
    program making thier own windows, mouse pointers, adn interphace stuff,
    microsoft came out with a design that allowed the programs to use a set
    already in place. With dos and win95 these resourses were set at 64k and
    would easily run out of room depending on what and howmany programs you are
    running. In windows 98, they introduced a newer version that has virtualy
    unlimited amoung of sapce to be alocated but to be backwards compatible, it
    included support for the older system. The resources being reported are the
    ones concerning the older version often called 16bit resources. These
    resources can only be release and opened up once all aplications using them
    exit and often requires a reboot.

    Now the point of that little lesson is, you can control these resources by
    what types of program you runn and if you run them uneccesarily. Often there
    is little problem running them down to 95% or futher as long as you don't
    run out. Use MSCONFIG at the runn menu to look at what loads at startup.
    Uncheck anyhting that isn't absolutly needed. Unless it is some kind of
    malware or driver support, it will load the stuff when the programs needing
    it loads. IT might take them a couple of seconds long to load though. The
    next thing is to see if any of the programs loading have updates to them.
    New revision often break away from this resource problem and updateing from
    version 5 to 6 can make a big impact on the percieved resources. (IE
    shifting them from the 16bit to 32bit resource heaps wich are virtualy
    limitless in practice). Hope this helps.

    "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    want
    > to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
    > installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
    > install updates.
    >
    > Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
    > His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
    > is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
    > the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
    > more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
    > updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    >
    > Any suggestions please?
    > Susan

    Why is 12 updates a problem?
    I have done similar with only 64 MB RAM on dial-up (and a very slow
    one).
    I installed any updates one or two at a time after the CD.
    They didn't take forever.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I want
    >to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
    >installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
    >install updates.
    >
    >Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
    >His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
    >is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
    >the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
    >more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
    >updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    >
    >Any suggestions please?
    >Susan

    But you don't have AOL 9.0 but thanks, I will let him figure it out.

    Susan
    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Why is 12 updates a problem?
    > I have done similar with only 64 MB RAM on dial-up (and a very slow
    > one).
    > I installed any updates one or two at a time after the CD.
    > They didn't take forever.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    >>want
    >>to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
    >>installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
    >>install updates.
    >>
    >>Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
    >>His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
    >>is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
    >>the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
    >>more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
    >>updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions please?
    >>Susan

    Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
    to go without the download and install option.

    Updates are:
    KB867282

    KB890175

    KB837009

    KB833989

    KB888113

    KB891711

    KB891781

    KB885492

    KB873374

    KB870669

    KB840315

    816093 - had no KB but is Security Update

    Could you verify for me that this is correct?

    Susan

    Susan wrote:
    > Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
    > to go without the download and install option.

    Yes there is places to go to get them and some of the links offer individual
    download links for W9x, and others as you have been told you can get them
    from WU and where you can use the Catalogue Basket where besides letting it
    scan your computer for you - but rather than that you can also look up things
    individually, and yes you can download them separately without installing
    them online, and then do whatever you want with them afterwards.

    > Updates are:
    > KB867282
    MS05-014, 867282, Cumulative for IE Feb 8, 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-014.mspx

    > KB890175
    MS05-001, 890175 - Vulnerability in HTML Help Could Allow Code Execution
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-001.mspx?pf=true

    > KB837009
    MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-013.mspx

    > KB833989
    MS04-028 833989 Security Update for IE 6 SP1
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-014.mspx

    > KB888113
    MS05-015, 888113, Vulnerability in Hyperlink Object Library
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-015.mspx

    > KB891711
    MS05-002, 891711 Vulnerability in Cursor & Icon Format
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-002.mspx?pf=true

    > KB891781
    MS05-013, 891781, Vulnerability in the DHTML
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-013.mspx

    > KB885492
    MS05-009, 890261, Vulnerability in PNG
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

    > KB873374
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

    > KB870669
    KB870669, 870669 - MDAC update - Disable ADODB.Stream object from IE - W9x
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

    > KB840315
    840315, MS04-023 Vulnerability in HTML Help
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-023.mspx?pf=true

    > 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
    816093, MS03-011 Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine VM v3810
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx?pf=true
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/msjavwu_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

    > Could you verify for me that this is correct?

    Yes, all these you have listed are current valid updated for W98SE
    corresponding to what they relate to.

    Rick

    > Susan

    >> Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
    >> download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
    >> Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973
    >>
    >> There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
    >> Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.
    >>
    >> However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
    >> ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
    >> patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
    >> download them on some other machine and transfer them.
    >>
    >> Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
    >> MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
    >> that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
    >> least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
    >> installed if it causes no problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    >>> want to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again.
    >>> I have installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb
    >>> 2004 to install updates.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
    >>> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
    >>> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
    >>> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
    >>> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
    >>> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions please?
    >>> Susan

    Try going into the personalize windoes update settings and selecting the
    show link to download catalog. save and then rescan for updates. unless
    somethign has changed, you should now be presented a lnk were you could
    download the update. You may have to pretend to be an IT profesional and act
    like you are going to install it on several computers.

    > Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
    > to go without the download and install option.
    >
    > Updates are:
    > KB867282
    >

    > KB890175
    >

    > KB837009
    >

    > KB833989
    >

    > KB888113
    >

    > KB891711
    >

    > KB891781
    >

    > KB885492
    >

    > KB873374
    >

    > KB870669
    >

    > KB840315
    >

    > 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
    >

    > Could you verify for me that this is correct?
    >

    > Susan

    > > Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
    > > download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
    > > Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973
    > >
    > > There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
    > > Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.
    > >
    > > However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
    > > ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
    > > patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
    > > download them on some other machine and transfer them.
    > >
    > > Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
    > > MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
    > > that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
    > > least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
    > > installed if it causes no problems.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    > > want
    > >> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
    > > have
    > >> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004
    > >> install updates.
    > >>
    > >> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to
    > > install.
    > >> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
    > > It
    > >> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious
    > > because
    > >> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95%
    > > or
    > >> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and
    > > save
    > >> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions please?
    > >> Susan

    PS

    >> KB891711
    > MS05-002, 891711 Vulnerability in Cursor & Icon Format
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-002.mspx?pf=true
    I wanted to add and like has been mentioned consider not to install the
    above update since for some people it has had lots of problems as outlined in
    this groups posts.

    Also, I see I made a mistake saying this:
    >> KB873374
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx
    sorry obviously the above link is not right for KB873374 and it's actually
    this link below that it represents - which is just an optional gadget that's
    not necessary unless you choose that you want it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873374

    Also where I have said:
    >> KB885492
    > MS05-009, 890261, Vulnerability in PNG
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

    They do go together for 9x with wmp9 but this is a link you need to
    investigate what is installed on your setup and decide what you need - and so
    that's why it's always best for most people just to go to WU and let it scan
    and decide what you need automatically; although that is not always fallible
    either but it's the right thing to do for those who have any doubts or less
    knowhow to figure it out manually.

    Rick

    Tell him after he connects with AOL to open Internet Explorer to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    He can install a couple at a time- like over 7.

    If you use the catalog - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    For a guide - Windows Update installed them in this order for me.

    Do this one first -I think only at WU:
    816093 "MS03-011 Flaw in Microsoft VM Upgrades to VM3810" 04/09/03

    KB837009 "MS04-013 Cumulative SU for Outlook Express" 04/13/04

    KB870669 "Critical Update for MDAC-ADODB.Stream object" 07/02/04
    KB840315 "MS04-023 HTML Help Code Execution" 07/13/04

    KB873374 "(GDI+)JPEG Vulnerability Detection Tool" 09/14/04
    KB833989 "Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP 1" 09/14/04
    (updated vgx.dll) related to:
    MS04-028 - Buffer Overrun in JPEG Processing (GDI+)(833987)

    KB890175 "MS05-001 Vulnerability in HTML Help" 01/11/05
    KB867282 "MS05-014 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer" 01/11/05
    KB891781 "MS05-013 DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control" 01/11/05

    KB885492 "Security Update WMP 9 Series" 01/11/05
    related to:
    "MS05-009 Vulnerability in PNG Processing Could Allow Remote Code Execution (890261)"

    KB888113 "MS05-015 Hyperlink Object Library" 03/08/05
    Do this last after everything working ok as some have reported problems:
    KB891711 "MS05-002 Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling" 03/08/05

    I did not see the other posts when I compiled this so sorry for dupes.
    --
    mae

    "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message news:e7YHYOuNFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
    | to go without the download and install option.
    |
    | Updates are:
    | KB867282
    |
    | KB890175
    |
    | KB837009
    |
    | KB833989
    |
    | KB888113
    |
    | KB891711
    |
    | KB891781
    |
    | KB885492
    |
    | KB873374
    |
    | KB870669
    |
    | KB840315
    |
    | 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
    |
    | Could you verify for me that this is correct?
    |

    | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message

    Thank you everyone for your advice. Updates are installed.

    Susan

    "jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
    > limitless in practice). Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
    > want
    >> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
    >> have
    >> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
    >> install updates.
    >>
    >> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
    >> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
    >> It
    >> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
    >> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
    >> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
    >> updates and burn to CD and install for him.

    The option that Microsoft seems to have removed is the ability to download
    Win 98 patches directly from a KB article. Most of these contain verbage
    effectively telling you to go to "Windows Update" to get your needed fixes.

    Expanding on an earlier post regarding how to tailor Windows Update to
    provide a download option:
    Start...Windows Update
    Click "Personalize Windows Update" under "Other Options"
    Two Options show on the "Personalize your Windows Update Experience" screen
    which appears next:
    1. Set Options for Windows Update
    CHECK the box marked "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalogue
    under See Also."
    2. Choose which Categories and Updates to Display on Windows Update
    Ignore the "Scan for Updates" Link and just click the "Save Settings" box
    near the top. Now, you should see an option titled "Windows Update Catalogue"
    on the left. When you click this link it takes you to another screen on the
    right side with 3 choices:
    1. Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems
    2. Find driver updates for hardware devices
    3. View download history

    Presumably we will check #1. In the "Operating System" box that appears,
    scroll to and click once on "Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition" so
    that it is highlighted. Make sure the language you want is displayed in the
    next box. Click the "Advanced Search Options" button. I always UNCHECK the
    "Multi-Language Features" box. Notice that you can qualify the posting date
    and use a "Contains these words" box where you can key in verbage to further
    qualify your search. Now, click "Search" at the bottom. Today (4/3/05) by
    taking "all dates" leaving the "Contains..." box empty, I got 94 results and
    75 were "Critical Updates and Service Packs".

    Presumably this download technique could be used from a different computer.
    I like to use my work system for downloads because its high speed internet
    connection beats my home dialup connection. You still need to know
    specifically which updates you need. I use "Windows Update" on the actual
    PC I want to update to get a list of the critical updates I want. I usually
    track the title, KB##### number, MS05-*** number, date, and size to make
    identification easier.
    Another technique that I have used successfully is to go ahead and do a
    normal Windows Update on the Win98 computer. When it downloads the patch it
    will usually appear in a sub-directory here:
    C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    The sub-directory will have a goofball name like "88yr2it9". You can also
    use "Find" to locate the update files. These files tend to stick around
    until a disk cleanup (manual or automatic) takes place. I copy them to a
    different directory after the download has completed, and rename them to get
    rid of some of the meaningless characters in the file name. For example:
    840315USA8_4e0a9040c416d8748584fadbbc12c17[1].EXE became 840315USA8.EXE when
    I copied and saved it.
    All of this is a lot of work, but it does save time and insure accuracy when
    you have to redo a system from scratch or want to update multiple systems.

    Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via Windows
    Update, Bruce.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    Bruce B wrote:
> [...]
    > Another technique that I have used successfully is to go ahead and do a
    > normal Windows Update on the Win98 computer. When it downloads the patch
    > it will usually appear in a sub-directory here:
    > C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    > The sub-directory will have a goofball name like "88yr2it9". You can also
    > use "Find" to locate the update files. These files tend to stick around
    > until a disk cleanup (manual or automatic) takes place. I copy them to a
    > different directory after the download has completed, and rename them to
    > get rid of some of the meaningless characters in the file name. For
    > example: 840315USA8_4e0a9040c416d8748584fadbbc12c17[1].EXE became
    > 840315USA8.EXE when I copied and saved it.
    > All of this is a lot of work, but it does save time and insure accuracy
    > when you have to redo a system from scratch or want to update multiple

    Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
    latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well, they
    are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a single
    Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and direct
    install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for all
    of them.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    How about http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
    > latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well, they
    > are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a single
    > Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and direct
    > install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for all
    > of them.
    >
    > > Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via Windows
    > > Update, Bruce.
    > > --
    > > > The option that Microsoft seems to have removed is the ability to
    > > > download Win 98 patches directly from a KB article. Most of these
    > > > contain verbage effectively telling you to go to "Windows Update" to
    > > > get your needed fixes.
    <snip>

    You mean this one?

    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    (KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
    Download size: 3.5 MB
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
    compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    restart your computer. Read More...

    I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to MS05-014.

    I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?

    Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
    Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
    isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
    both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the SecBull
    but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components" list.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > How about
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about
    the
    > > latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well,
    they
    > > are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a
    single
    > > Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and
    direct
    > > install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for
    all
    > > of them.
    > >
    > > > Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via
    Windows
    > > > Update, Bruce.
    > > > --
    > <snip>

    Amazing! That's supposed to be available only via Windows Update. (Took me
    a while to get from V5 to V4 to search the friggin' catalog. <eg>) <ahem> I
    shall have to discuss this with some Higher Ups.

    Wonder if it's the same executable as the d/l for WinXP SP1?
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > You mean this one?
    >
    > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    > (KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
    > Download size: 3.5 MB
    > A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
    > compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    > control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    > update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    > restart your computer. Read More...
    >
    > I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to MS05-014.
    >
    > I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?
    >
    > Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
    > Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
    > isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
    > both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the SecBull
    > but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components" list.

    > > How about
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?
    > >

    > > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > > Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
    > > > latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well,
    > > > they are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a
    > > > single Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download
    > > > and direct install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone"
    > > > downloads for all of them.

    > > <snip>

    Dunno what, if any of the other versions, it compares to.

    Easy way to get to Windows Updates Catalog from v5 (or v6): Use
    Administrator Options.

    Or just put this in your Favorites:

    or

    > Amazing! That's supposed to be available only via Windows Update.
    (Took me
    > a while to get from V5 to V4 to search the friggin' catalog. <eg>)
    <ahem> I
    > shall have to discuss this with some Higher Ups.
    >
    > Wonder if it's the same executable as the d/l for WinXP SP1?
    > --
    > ~PA Bear
    >

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > You mean this one?
    > >
    > > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
    > > (KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
    > > Download size: 3.5 MB
    > > A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
    > > compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    > > control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
    this
    > > update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
    > > restart your computer. Read More...
    > >
    > > I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to
    MS05-014.

    > > I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?
    > >
    > > Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
    > > Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
    > > isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
    > > both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the
    SecBull
    > > but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components"
    list.

    > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > How about
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?

    Well,

    Update
    > > > <snip>

    Doh! And what do you think I find in C:\Documents and
    Settings\Robear\Favorites\KB\WinUp??
    --
    ~PAB
    www.ihatewhenthat.happens

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Or just put this in your Favorites:
    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    LOL!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Doh! And what do you think I find in C:\Documents and
    > Settings\Robear\Favorites\KB\WinUp??
    > --
    > ~PAB
    > www.ihatewhenthat.happens