Windows Updates for 98?

Susan

I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I want
to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
install updates.

Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
updates and burn to CD and install for him.

Any suggestions please?
Susan

Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973

There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.

However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
download them on some other machine and transfer them.

Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
installed if it causes no problems.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
want
> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
have
> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004
> install updates.
>
> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to
install.
> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
It
> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious
because
> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95%
or
> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and
save
> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
>
> Any suggestions please?
> Susan

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I would download mozilla firefox and thunderbird and switch his email and
web sufing to that. This isn't a fix all or much more then a bandaid
either. What it will do is cut down on 90% or more of the spyware
infections as well as smoe of the other malware you can get from running IE
without all the patches.

I would also try to get the patches from another computer with a faster
conection if possible. Once the updates are installed you would be truly
safe. AOL 9 running on only 128meg ram is probably painfully slow anyways. I
would suggest either upgradeing the ram or downgrading AOL to version 8 wich
would give a performance boost as well as help the overal "feel". AOL 9
also has its own spyware scanner. It is reasonably good but i would suggest
running adaware and spybot search and destroy in addition. One spyscanner
usualy isn't going to catch everything.

As for the system load getting upto 95%, I am assuming that you are
refering to the system resources and no the memory being used. Contrary to
popular belief, this has nothign to do with the amount of memory installed.
It has to do with the resource heaps that programs use to validate
different functions of the program. It is a little dificult to explain in a
single post like this but basicaly back in the old days, instead of each
program making thier own windows, mouse pointers, adn interphace stuff,
microsoft came out with a design that allowed the programs to use a set
already in place. With dos and win95 these resourses were set at 64k and
would easily run out of room depending on what and howmany programs you are
running. In windows 98, they introduced a newer version that has virtualy
unlimited amoung of sapce to be alocated but to be backwards compatible, it
included support for the older system. The resources being reported are the
ones concerning the older version often called 16bit resources. These
resources can only be release and opened up once all aplications using them
exit and often requires a reboot.

Now the point of that little lesson is, you can control these resources by
what types of program you runn and if you run them uneccesarily. Often there
is little problem running them down to 95% or futher as long as you don't
run out. Use MSCONFIG at the runn menu to look at what loads at startup.
Uncheck anyhting that isn't absolutly needed. Unless it is some kind of
malware or driver support, it will load the stuff when the programs needing
it loads. IT might take them a couple of seconds long to load though. The
next thing is to see if any of the programs loading have updates to them.
New revision often break away from this resource problem and updateing from
version 5 to 6 can make a big impact on the percieved resources. (IE
shifting them from the 16bit to 32bit resource heaps wich are virtualy
limitless in practice). Hope this helps.

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
want
> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
> install updates.
>
> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
>
> Any suggestions please?
> Susan

Why is 12 updates a problem?
I have done similar with only 64 MB RAM on dial-up (and a very slow
one).
I installed any updates one or two at a time after the CD.
They didn't take forever.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com>
wrote:

>I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I want
>to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
>installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
>install updates.
>
>Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
>His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
>is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
>the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
>more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
>updates and burn to CD and install for him.
>
>Any suggestions please?
>Susan

Susan

But you don't have AOL 9.0 but thanks, I will let him figure it out.

Susan
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Why is 12 updates a problem?
> I have done similar with only 64 MB RAM on dial-up (and a very slow
> one).
> I installed any updates one or two at a time after the CD.
> They didn't take forever.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
>>want
>>to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I have
>>installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
>>install updates.
>>
>>Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
>>His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
>>is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
>>the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
>>more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
>>updates and burn to CD and install for him.
>>
>>Any suggestions please?
>>Susan

Susan

Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
to go without the download and install option.

Updates are:
KB867282

KB890175

KB837009

KB833989

KB888113

KB891711

KB891781

KB885492

KB873374

KB870669

KB840315

816093 - had no KB but is Security Update

Could you verify for me that this is correct?

Susan

Susan wrote:
> Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
> to go without the download and install option.

Yes there is places to go to get them and some of the links offer individual
download links for W9x, and others as you have been told you can get them
from WU and where you can use the Catalogue Basket where besides letting it
scan your computer for you - but rather than that you can also look up things
individually, and yes you can download them separately without installing
them online, and then do whatever you want with them afterwards.

> Updates are:
> KB867282
MS05-014, 867282, Cumulative for IE Feb 8, 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-014.mspx

> KB890175
MS05-001, 890175 - Vulnerability in HTML Help Could Allow Code Execution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-001.mspx?pf=true

> KB837009
MS04-013, 837009, Cumulative for OE, April13, 2004
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-013.mspx

> KB833989
MS04-028 833989 Security Update for IE 6 SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-014.mspx

> KB888113
MS05-015, 888113, Vulnerability in Hyperlink Object Library
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-015.mspx

> KB891711
MS05-002, 891711 Vulnerability in Cursor & Icon Format
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-002.mspx?pf=true

> KB891781
MS05-013, 891781, Vulnerability in the DHTML
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-013.mspx

> KB885492
MS05-009, 890261, Vulnerability in PNG
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

> KB873374
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

> KB870669
KB870669, 870669 - MDAC update - Disable ADODB.Stream object from IE - W9x
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=fe2a5b1c-ff30-40a0-8e70-c9f1f4dcd8c2&displaylang=en

> KB840315
840315, MS04-023 Vulnerability in HTML Help
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-023.mspx?pf=true

> 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
816093, MS03-011 Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine VM v3810
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx?pf=true
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/msjavwu_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe

> Could you verify for me that this is correct?

Yes, all these you have listed are current valid updated for W98SE
corresponding to what they relate to.

Rick

> Susan

>> Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
>> download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
>> Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973
>>
>> There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
>> Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.
>>
>> However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
>> ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
>> patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
>> download them on some other machine and transfer them.
>>
>> Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
>> MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
>> that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
>> least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
>> installed if it causes no problems.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
>>> want to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again.
>>> I have installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb
>>> 2004 to install updates.
>>>
>>> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
>>> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection. It
>>> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
>>> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
>>> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
>>> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please?
>>> Susan

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Try going into the personalize windoes update settings and selecting the
show link to download catalog. save and then rescan for updates. unless
somethign has changed, you should now be presented a lnk were you could
download the update. You may have to pretend to be an IT profesional and act
like you are going to install it on several computers.

> Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
> to go without the download and install option.
>
> Updates are:
> KB867282
>

> KB890175
>

> KB837009
>

> KB833989
>

> KB888113
>

> KB891711
>

> KB891781
>

> KB885492
>

> KB873374
>

> KB870669
>

> KB840315
>

> 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
>

> Could you verify for me that this is correct?
>

> Susan

> > Usually, the only other answer is to use someone else's computer to
> > download the patches and burn them to CD, using the Windows Updates
> > Catalog. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=8973
> >
> > There are not, nor will there ever be again, another CD issued by
> > Microsoft with the latest Security patches for Windows 98, 98SE or ME.
> >
> > However, for the most recent Critical patches for Windows 98, 98SE and
> > ME, there aren't any stand-alone installers for some of the latest
> > patches--you *must* install them directly from Windows Updates. Can't
> > download them on some other machine and transfer them.
> >
> > Note that there have been many reported problems with the update for
> > MS05-002, aka KB891711. If your brother has trouble after installing
> > that update, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall it. But he *should* at
> > least try it. It remedies a serious vulnerability and should be
> > installed if it causes no problems.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
> > want
> >> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
> > have
> >> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004
> >> install updates.
> >>
> >> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to
> > install.
> >> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
> > It
> >> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious
> > because
> >> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95%
> > or
> >> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and
> > save
> >> updates and burn to CD and install for him.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions please?
> >> Susan

PS

>> KB891711
> MS05-002, 891711 Vulnerability in Cursor & Icon Format
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-002.mspx?pf=true
I wanted to add and like has been mentioned consider not to install the
above update since for some people it has had lots of problems as outlined in
this groups posts.

Also, I see I made a mistake saying this:
>> KB873374
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx
sorry obviously the above link is not right for KB873374 and it's actually
this link below that it represents - which is just an optional gadget that's
not necessary unless you choose that you want it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873374

Also where I have said:
>> KB885492
> MS05-009, 890261, Vulnerability in PNG
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx

They do go together for 9x with wmp9 but this is a link you need to
investigate what is installed on your setup and decide what you need - and so
that's why it's always best for most people just to go to WU and let it scan
and decide what you need automatically; although that is not always fallible
either but it's the right thing to do for those who have any doubts or less
knowhow to figure it out manually.

Rick

Tell him after he connects with AOL to open Internet Explorer to:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
He can install a couple at a time- like over 7.

If you use the catalog - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
For a guide - Windows Update installed them in this order for me.

Do this one first -I think only at WU:
816093 "MS03-011 Flaw in Microsoft VM Upgrades to VM3810" 04/09/03

KB837009 "MS04-013 Cumulative SU for Outlook Express" 04/13/04

KB870669 "Critical Update for MDAC-ADODB.Stream object" 07/02/04
KB840315 "MS04-023 HTML Help Code Execution" 07/13/04

KB873374 "(GDI+)JPEG Vulnerability Detection Tool" 09/14/04
KB833989 "Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP 1" 09/14/04
(updated vgx.dll) related to:
MS04-028 - Buffer Overrun in JPEG Processing (GDI+)(833987)

KB890175 "MS05-001 Vulnerability in HTML Help" 01/11/05
KB867282 "MS05-014 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer" 01/11/05
KB891781 "MS05-013 DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control" 01/11/05

KB885492 "Security Update WMP 9 Series" 01/11/05
related to:
"MS05-009 Vulnerability in PNG Processing Could Allow Remote Code Execution (890261)"

KB888113 "MS05-015 Hyperlink Object Library" 03/08/05
Do this last after everything working ok as some have reported problems:
KB891711 "MS05-002 Vulnerability in Cursor and Icon Format Handling" 03/08/05

I did not see the other posts when I compiled this so sorry for dupes.
--
mae

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message news:e7YHYOuNFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Thanks, I think that we cannot burn the patches to CD. I cannot find place
| to go without the download and install option.
|
| Updates are:
| KB867282
|
| KB890175
|
| KB837009
|
| KB833989
|
| KB888113
|
| KB891711
|
| KB891781
|
| KB885492
|
| KB873374
|
| KB870669
|
| KB840315
|
| 816093 - had no KB but is Security Update
|
| Could you verify for me that this is correct?
|

| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message

Susan

Thank you everyone for your advice. Updates are installed.

Susan

"jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
> limitless in practice). Hope this helps.
>
> "Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
>> I have been cleaning up brother's laptop from Look2me infection. Now I
> want
>> to try to take measures to prevent him from getting infected again. I
>> have
>> installed free firewall. I used MS Security CD dating back to Feb 2004 to
>> install updates.
>>
>> Problem is that Windows Updates have 12 more critical updates to install.
>> His laptop only has 128 MB ram and is dial-up for internet connection.
>> It
>> is going to take forever to try to update and this may be dubious because
>> the of problems with not enough memory and system load gets up to 95% or
>> more. I am dial-up person as well otherwise I could download and save
>> updates and burn to CD and install for him.

The option that Microsoft seems to have removed is the ability to download
Win 98 patches directly from a KB article. Most of these contain verbage
effectively telling you to go to "Windows Update" to get your needed fixes.

Expanding on an earlier post regarding how to tailor Windows Update to
provide a download option:
Start...Windows Update
Click "Personalize Windows Update" under "Other Options"
Two Options show on the "Personalize your Windows Update Experience" screen
which appears next:
1. Set Options for Windows Update
CHECK the box marked "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalogue
under See Also."
2. Choose which Categories and Updates to Display on Windows Update
Ignore the "Scan for Updates" Link and just click the "Save Settings" box
near the top. Now, you should see an option titled "Windows Update Catalogue"
on the left. When you click this link it takes you to another screen on the
right side with 3 choices:
1. Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems
2. Find driver updates for hardware devices
3. View download history

Presumably we will check #1. In the "Operating System" box that appears,
scroll to and click once on "Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition" so
that it is highlighted. Make sure the language you want is displayed in the
next box. Click the "Advanced Search Options" button. I always UNCHECK the
"Multi-Language Features" box. Notice that you can qualify the posting date
and use a "Contains these words" box where you can key in verbage to further
qualify your search. Now, click "Search" at the bottom. Today (4/3/05) by
taking "all dates" leaving the "Contains..." box empty, I got 94 results and
75 were "Critical Updates and Service Packs".

Presumably this download technique could be used from a different computer.
I like to use my work system for downloads because its high speed internet
connection beats my home dialup connection. You still need to know
specifically which updates you need. I use "Windows Update" on the actual
PC I want to update to get a list of the critical updates I want. I usually
track the title, KB##### number, MS05-*** number, date, and size to make
identification easier.
Another technique that I have used successfully is to go ahead and do a
normal Windows Update on the Win98 computer. When it downloads the patch it
will usually appear in a sub-directory here:
C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
The sub-directory will have a goofball name like "88yr2it9". You can also
use "Find" to locate the update files. These files tend to stick around
until a disk cleanup (manual or automatic) takes place. I copy them to a
different directory after the download has completed, and rename them to get
rid of some of the meaningless characters in the file name. For example:
840315USA8_4e0a9040c416d8748584fadbbc12c17[1].EXE became 840315USA8.EXE when
I copied and saved it.
All of this is a lot of work, but it does save time and insure accuracy when
you have to redo a system from scratch or want to update multiple systems.

Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via Windows
Update, Bruce.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Bruce B wrote:
> [...]
> Another technique that I have used successfully is to go ahead and do a
> normal Windows Update on the Win98 computer. When it downloads the patch
> it will usually appear in a sub-directory here:
> C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
> The sub-directory will have a goofball name like "88yr2it9". You can also
> use "Find" to locate the update files. These files tend to stick around
> until a disk cleanup (manual or automatic) takes place. I copy them to a
> different directory after the download has completed, and rename them to
> get rid of some of the meaningless characters in the file name. For
> example: 840315USA8_4e0a9040c416d8748584fadbbc12c17[1].EXE became
> 840315USA8.EXE when I copied and saved it.
> All of this is a lot of work, but it does save time and insure accuracy
> when you have to redo a system from scratch or want to update multiple

Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well, they
are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a single
Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and direct
install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for all
of them.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

How about http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
> latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well, they
> are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a single
> Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and direct
> install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for all
> of them.
>
> > Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via Windows
> > Update, Bruce.
> > --
> > > The option that Microsoft seems to have removed is the ability to
> > > download Win 98 patches directly from a KB article. Most of these
> > > contain verbage effectively telling you to go to "Windows Update" to
> > > get your needed fixes.
<snip>

You mean this one?

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
(KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
Download size: 3.5 MB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
restart your computer. Read More...

I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to MS05-014.

I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?

Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the SecBull
but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components" list.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> How about
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about
the
> > latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well,
they
> > are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a
single
> > Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download and
direct
> > install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone" downloads for
all
> > of them.
> >
> > > Many recent Critical Updates for Win9x are only available via
Windows
> > > Update, Bruce.
> > > --
> <snip>

Amazing! That's supposed to be available only via Windows Update. (Took me
a while to get from V5 to V4 to search the friggin' catalog. <eg>) <ahem> I
shall have to discuss this with some Higher Ups.

Wonder if it's the same executable as the d/l for WinXP SP1?
--
~PA Bear

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> You mean this one?
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
> (KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
> Download size: 3.5 MB
> A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
> update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
> restart your computer. Read More...
>
> I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to MS05-014.
>
> I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?
>
> Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
> Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
> isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
> both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the SecBull
> but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components" list.

> > How about
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?
> >

> > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > > Yes, but remember the wild complaining a couple of weeks ago about the
> > > latest updates not being included in Windows Updates Catalog? Well,
> > > they are now there. Just took a few more days, is all. I can't find a
> > > single Update for Windows 98 that is *only* available for download
> > > and direct install from Windows Updates. I can find "stand-alone"
> > > downloads for all of them.

> > <snip>

Dunno what, if any of the other versions, it compares to.

Easy way to get to Windows Updates Catalog from v5 (or v6): Use
Administrator Options.

Or just put this in your Favorites:

or

> Amazing! That's supposed to be available only via Windows Update.
(Took me
> a while to get from V5 to V4 to search the friggin' catalog. <eg>)
<ahem> I
> shall have to discuss this with some Higher Ups.
>
> Wonder if it's the same executable as the d/l for WinXP SP1?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > You mean this one?
> >
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1
> > (KB867282) - (Posted Date: February 04, 2005)
> > Download size: 3.5 MB
> > A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
> > compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
> > control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing
this
> > update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to
> > restart your computer. Read More...
> >
> > I found it at Windows Updates Catalog. "Read More..." leads to
MS05-014.

> > I've downloaded it. Want me to send you a copy, <g>?
> >
> > Granted, there doesn't seem to be a version for IE 5.5 available for
> > Win98/98SE, only for WinME. You'll notice that IE 5.5 on Win98/98SE
> > isn't mentioned in the SecBull, either. (Windows Updates Catalog has
> > both versions for ME.) Note, too, that IE 5.01 is covered in the
SecBull
> > but *only* for Win2K w/ SP3 or SP4. Read the "Affected Components"
list.

> > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > How about
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-014.mspx?