Explorer unavailable

hello group

my mums computer has suddenly decided that the shortcut icon
on the desktop should lead to 'my documents' instead of Explorer.

the 'my documents' folder comes up but not within an explorer
environment.
i called a friend who suggested i reboot, this didnt fix it. the next
suggestion was to right click 'Start' and go to Explorer that way...
this worked and now all of Explorer can be seen.
Explorer was then closed and desktop icon tried again, it took us
to My documents again, but not in explorer.

there is a problem somewhere, does anyone know what it
may be and how to fix it.

froggy saying thanks.

froggy wrote:
> hello group
>
> my mums computer has suddenly decided that the shortcut icon
> on the desktop should lead to 'my documents' instead of Explorer.
>
> the 'my documents' folder comes up but not within an explorer
> environment.
> i called a friend who suggested i reboot, this didnt fix it. the
> next suggestion was to right click 'Start' and go to Explorer that
> way... this worked and now all of Explorer can be seen.
> Explorer was then closed and desktop icon tried again, it took us
> to My documents again, but not in explorer.
>
> there is a problem somewhere, does anyone know what it
> may be and how to fix it.
>
> froggy saying thanks.

To start Explorer easily...
A. Winkey+E
-and/or-
B. Make a new shortcut to Explorer.exe
______________

Now, if you mean your problem is that if you start it in one of those
ways and you get a single pane window rather than two panes...

Open a folder
View
Explorer bar
Tick "Folders"

You can then go back to "View" to "Folder Options" to "View" and "make
all your folders look the same".

Another way of doing the same thing...
Start
Settings
Folder options
File types
Scroll down to Folder (not File Folder), highlight
it and click "Edit". In the new applet, highlight "explore" in the
Actions window and click Set Default.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

In the Properties of the Shortcut, make sure there is an /e switch at
the end of the command:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message
> hello group
>
> my mums computer has suddenly decided that the shortcut icon
> on the desktop should lead to 'my documents' instead of Explorer.
>
> the 'my documents' folder comes up but not within an explorer
> environment.
> i called a friend who suggested i reboot, this didnt fix it. the
next
> suggestion was to right click 'Start' and go to Explorer that way...
> this worked and now all of Explorer can be seen.
> Explorer was then closed and desktop icon tried again, it took us
> to My documents again, but not in explorer.
>
> there is a problem somewhere, does anyone know what it
> may be and how to fix it.
>
> froggy saying thanks.

R-Clk the shortcut on the Desktop, & select Properties. Show us what is
in the Target field at the Shortcut tab...

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF

....should get you to Explorer.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

> R-Clk the shortcut on the Desktop, & select Properties. Show us what is
> in the Target field at the Shortcut tab...
>
> C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.SCF
>
> ...should get you to Explorer.

okay, i will be at her house soon, i will do as you say.
what is the e/ for from the other poster.
froggy

froggy wrote:

> what is the e/ for from the other poster.

explore (as opposed to "open")

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

I'm sure it is as dadiOH said. I am offline & cannot click...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q130510
Command Line Parameters for Explorer

But the one I posted always does it for me. You may also do this...

(a) "START button, Find, F/F, Explorer.scf"
It will show up with the name "EXPLORER", no file type.
And likely it is in "C:\Windows".
(b) Use the R-Mouse button to drag it from the find box to the
QuickLaunch bar, just to the right of the START button.
You will see a solid vertical line showing where in the
QuickLaunch bar it is to end up.
(c) Release the R-Mouse button for choices, &
select "Copy here" from the choices.