Runtime Error

Please help...

I seem to get constant errors.

Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.

If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it, the
system locks up.

thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about runtime error

    "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help...
    >
    > I seem to get constant errors.
    >
    > Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
    > Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    >

    > How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.
    >
    > If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it, the
    > system locks up.
    >
    > thanks.

    check and see if you have "common name task bar" or something similar
    installed on your computer..if so remove it

    I checked through control panel/programs and did not see anything that could
    resemble a common task bar. Hijack This could not find any odd entries
    related to unwanted taskbar processes.

    "Haggis" wrote:

    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Please help...
    > >
    > > I seem to get constant errors.
    > >
    > > Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
    > > Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    > >

    > > How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.
    > >
    > > If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it, the
    > > system locks up.
    > >
    > > thanks.
    > >

    > check and see if you have "common name task bar" or something similar
    > installed on your computer..if so remove it

    When do you get the errors? What are you doing, and what programs are open? Is
    there more to the error message than the part you are reporting?

    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after you install
    Office XP or an Office XP program:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307817
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help...
    >
    > I seem to get constant errors.
    >
    > Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
    > Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    >

    > How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.
    >
    > If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it, the
    > system locks up.
    >
    > thanks.

    It occurs when IE is running or if I have Explorer open. If its when IE
    running, the error points to c:\windows\explorer. If its not IE, there is no
    file/ path associated with the error. I just get the error window. In both
    cases, the text at th bottom of the error window says to contact the program
    vendor....

    > It occurs when IE is running or if I have Explorer open. If its when IE
    > running, the error points to c:\windows\explorer. If its not IE, there is
    > no
    > file/ path associated with the error. I just get the error window. In
    > both
    > cases, the text at th bottom of the error window says to contact the
    > program
    > vendor....
    >

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    >> When do you get the errors? What are you doing, and what programs are
    >> open? Is
    >> there more to the error message than the part you are reporting?
    >>
    >> "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after
    >> you install
    >> Office XP or an Office XP program:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307817
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >>

    >> "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Please help...
    >> >
    >> > I seem to get constant errors.
    >> >
    >> > Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
    >> > Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    >> >

    >> > How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.
    >> >
    >> > If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it,
    >> > the
    >> > system locks up.
    >> >
    >> > thanks.

    have you tried a "repair" on IE ?

    So, can we assume that you do not have any Office XP programs installed, per the KB
    article I posted earlier?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It occurs when IE is running or if I have Explorer open. If its when IE
    > running, the error points to c:\windows\explorer. If its not IE, there is no
    > file/ path associated with the error. I just get the error window. In both
    > cases, the text at th bottom of the error window says to contact the program
    > vendor....
    >

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > When do you get the errors? What are you doing, and what programs are open? Is
    > > there more to the error message than the part you are reporting?
    > >
    > > "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after you
    install
    > > Office XP or an Office XP program:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307817
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Please help...
    > > >
    > > > I seem to get constant errors.
    > > >
    > > > Microsoft Visial C++ Runtime Error.
    > > > Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    > > >

    > > > How can I fix this? I've re-installed Win98 and this does not work.
    > > >
    > > > If I leave the error window open, my system runs slow. If I close it, the
    > > > system locks up.
    > > >
    > > > thanks.

    I only have excel and word 97 installed. I've uninstalled/reinstalled those
    as well as win 98.

    "glee" wrote:

    > So, can we assume that you do not have any Office XP programs installed, per the KB
    > article I posted earlier?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >
    > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It occurs when IE is running or if I have Explorer open. If its when IE
    > > running, the error points to c:\windows\explorer. If its not IE, there is no
    > > file/ path associated with the error. I just get the error window. In both
    > > cases, the text at th bottom of the error window says to contact the program
    > > vendor....
    > >

    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When do you get the errors? What are you doing, and what programs are open? Is
    > > > there more to the error message than the part you are reporting?
    > > >
    > > > "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after you
    > install
    > > > Office XP or an Office XP program:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307817
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >

    > > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Have a look at the 5 web pages on the subject that start here --
    Visual Basic C++ Runtime Library error:
    http://malektips.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000138.html

    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    In addition, install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check
    for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system,
    and remove what it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
    the items in RED only.
    SpyBot S&D:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.

    You might also try a repair of IE --
    Click Start>Run, type the following and click Enter, for IE5x:
    RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE5Maintenance

    or this, if you have IE6x installed:
    RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance

    Choose the Repair option, and continue.

    If the repair says it cannot complete, or it does not fix the problem, try
    reinstalling Internet Explorer:

    Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
    http://tinyurl.com/r5ba
    --

    > I only have excel and word 97 installed. I've uninstalled/reinstalled those
    > as well as win 98.
    >

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > So, can we assume that you do not have any Office XP programs installed, per the
    KB
    > > article I posted earlier?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >
    > > "james" <james@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > It occurs when IE is running or if I have Explorer open. If its when IE
    > > > running, the error points to c:\windows\explorer. If its not IE, there is no
    > > > file/ path associated with the error. I just get the error window. In both
    > > > cases, the text at th bottom of the error window says to contact the program
    > > > vendor....

    Is

    > > install

Windows Explorer Runtime Microsoft Windows