jpeg files

I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's folders.
I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing happens
at all. HELP
--
wolfman

Hi Wolfman,

I had the same problem with my .BMP files. Here's a simple way to solve it:

1, Left click one of your .jpeg files to hilite it.
2. Hold down the SHIFT key and RIGHT click the hilited file.
3. Scroll down to find the program you wish to use, and left click it.
4. Left click "Always use this program to open this type of file".
5. Left click "OK".

Good Luck. Let us know if this works for you................
Andy I.

"wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's
folders.
| I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing
happens
| at all. HELP
| --
| wolfman

andy, it did work, however, i wasn't sure what program to use to open jpg,
gif etc. What is windows 98SE default program to open these files?

"brackenburn" wrote:

> Hi Wolfman,
>
> I had the same problem with my .BMP files. Here's a simple way to solve it:
>
> 1, Left click one of your .jpeg files to hilite it.
> 2. Hold down the SHIFT key and RIGHT click the hilited file.
> 3. Scroll down to find the program you wish to use, and left click it.
> 4. Left click "Always use this program to open this type of file".
> 5. Left click "OK".
>
> Good Luck. Let us know if this works for you................
> Andy I.
>

> "wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's
> folders.
> | I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing
> happens
> | at all. HELP
> | --
> | wolfman

Glad to hear you've got it working,Wolfman. I'm afraid I don't remember what
the WIN98 SE default program is! I'm using WIN98 SE, but I have since
installed several programs such as Corel PrintHouse, PhotoHouse etc. and use
these now as default viewers. You can use Internet Explorer, but as Alan
suggested, you should get IrfanView, even if you don't use it as your
default. It's free, and allows you to manipulate your graphics in many
different ways. I installed IrfanView some time ago and wouldn't be without
it.
You can get it here: http://www.irfanview.com/

Good Luck.

| andy, it did work, however, i wasn't sure what program to use to open
jpg,
| gif etc. What is windows 98SE default program to open these files?
|
| "brackenburn" wrote:
|
| > Hi Wolfman,
| >
| > I had the same problem with my .BMP files. Here's a simple way to solve
it:

| > 1, Left click one of your .jpeg files to hilite it.
| > 2. Hold down the SHIFT key and RIGHT click the hilited file.
| > 3. Scroll down to find the program you wish to use, and left click it.
| > 4. Left click "Always use this program to open this type of file".
| > 5. Left click "OK".
| >
| > Good Luck. Let us know if this works for you................
| > Andy I.
| >

| > "wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's
| > folders.
| > | I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing
| > happens
| > | at all. HELP
| > | --
| > | wolfman

As noted elsewhere in his thread, the default JPEG viewer in Windows 98
and 98SE is Internet Explorer. But most "full-package" systems like
you'd get from Dell or HP, etc., include one or another image
viewing/editing application. Microsoft Office, too. Still, IrfanView is
an excellent replacement editor/viewer for most if not all image and
video formats.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"brackenburn" <brackenburn@shaw.-delete this bit- ca> wrote in message
> Glad to hear you've got it working,Wolfman. I'm afraid I don't
remember what
> the WIN98 SE default program is! I'm using WIN98 SE, but I have since
> installed several programs such as Corel PrintHouse, PhotoHouse etc.
and use
> these now as default viewers. You can use Internet Explorer, but as
Alan
> suggested, you should get IrfanView, even if you don't use it as your
> default. It's free, and allows you to manipulate your graphics in
many
> different ways. I installed IrfanView some time ago and wouldn't be
without
> it.
> You can get it here: http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> Good Luck.
> Andy I.
>

> "wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | andy, it did work, however, i wasn't sure what program to use to
open
> jpg,
> | gif etc. What is windows 98SE default program to open these files?
> |
> | "brackenburn" wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Wolfman,
> | >
> | > I had the same problem with my .BMP files. Here's a simple way to
solve
> it:
> | >
> | > 1, Left click one of your .jpeg files to hilite it.
> | > 2. Hold down the SHIFT key and RIGHT click the hilited file.
> | > 3. Scroll down to find the program you wish to use, and left click
it.
> | > 4. Left click "Always use this program to open this type of file".
> | > 5. Left click "OK".
> | >
> | > Good Luck. Let us know if this works for you................
> | > Andy I.
> | >

> | > "wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
It's
> | > folders.
> | > happens

Correct your association in Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types or
try something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic Viewer:
http://www.irfanview.com/

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
<wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's folders.
>I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing happens
>at all. HELP

Alan: What do I do when I get into file types?

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Correct your association in Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types or
> try something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic Viewer:
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's folders.
> >I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing happens
> >at all. HELP

Thanks to all that have helped me. Even tho I don't know a lot about puters,
you made some things clear. Thanks again for all of your patience and
understanding. BOB (wolfman)

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> As noted elsewhere in his thread, the default JPEG viewer in Windows 98
> and 98SE is Internet Explorer. But most "full-package" systems like
> you'd get from Dell or HP, etc., include one or another image
> viewing/editing application. Microsoft Office, too. Still, IrfanView is
> an excellent replacement editor/viewer for most if not all image and
> video formats.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "brackenburn" <brackenburn@shaw.-delete this bit- ca> wrote in message
> > Glad to hear you've got it working,Wolfman. I'm afraid I don't
> remember what
> > the WIN98 SE default program is! I'm using WIN98 SE, but I have since
> > installed several programs such as Corel PrintHouse, PhotoHouse etc.
> and use
> > these now as default viewers. You can use Internet Explorer, but as
> Alan
> > suggested, you should get IrfanView, even if you don't use it as your
> > default. It's free, and allows you to manipulate your graphics in
> many
> > different ways. I installed IrfanView some time ago and wouldn't be
> without
> > it.
> > You can get it here: http://www.irfanview.com/
> >
> > Good Luck.
> > Andy I.
> >

> > "wolfman" <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | andy, it did work, however, i wasn't sure what program to use to
> open
> > jpg,
> > | gif etc. What is windows 98SE default program to open these files?

> solve
> > it:

> it.

> It's
> nothing

Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
Find the association
Edit, highlight Open, edit and alter the "Application..." to use
whatever program you have for jpeg files.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
<wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Alan: What do I do when I get into file types?
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> Correct your association in Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types or
>> try something like IrfanView - Freeware Graphic Viewer:
>> http://www.irfanview.com/
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
>> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't open any jpeg files that were saved in my documents ,or It's folders.
>> >I had no problems with this before. When I click on a file, nothing happens
>> >at all. HELP

stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't understand.

wolfman wrote:
> stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
> association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't understand.

What Alan means is open up any folder and go up to the top tab of View, and
then click the listing Folder Options, etc following as he points out.

If you just want your internet explorer browser to open jpgs like it was
default, then do what he said and use IEXPLORE to associate jpeg to that.

If that's too complicated for you, but you do want to use your browser for
default viewing, then you can just download this fixpix file to do it
automatically for you:
Steve Yandl’s utilities and repairs
http://www.chris-tech.com/~spc911/
.....uh, sorry I see the site that hosted Steve Yandl files is not there right
now, maybe someone else will have a link to fixpix or even fixpix2 if it's
needed. (I just don't want to attach it here though)
I liked Steve pages because it explained it all and offered files for what
littled you needed.

However, I do see now that Doug has his site still up for something similar
but does it via a vbs file
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm

Alan, didn't you use to offer a little reg to do this too?

Rick

> "Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
>> Find the association
>> Edit, highlight Open, edit and alter the "Application..." to use
>> whatever program you have for jpeg files.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
>> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Alan: What do I do when I get into file types?

Sorry guys. Guess I'm a complete moron. I need a step by step method to tell
me what to do with each box that opens. I'm paranoid about doing the wrong
thing. I hope you have the patience to continue helping me. thanks

wolfman wrote:
> Sorry guys. Guess I'm a complete moron. I need a step by step method to
> tell me what to do with each box that opens. I'm paranoid about doing the
> wrong thing. I hope you have the patience to continue helping me. thanks

If you choose not to install IrfanView and want to use what is the normal
default viewer for W98x, then when using the highlight the file and right
click to "Open With" way as brackenburn was referring to, then also
as mentioned you scroll down and choose: iexplore ..and also have the box
checked there to always use that program to open it - and click okay - if all
else is in order you should be just fine then. Be careful here you don't
associate/choose the wrong program at anytime for anything else, and so again
choose specifically: iexplore ..which is the default viewer for image files.

Rick

> "Rick Chauvin" wrote:
>
>> wolfman wrote:
>> > stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
>> > association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't
>> > understand.
>>
>> What Alan means is open up any folder and go up to the top tab of View,
>> and then click the listing Folder Options, etc following as he points out.
>>
>> If you just want your internet explorer browser to open jpgs like it was
>> default, then do what he said and use IEXPLORE to associate jpeg to that.
>>
>> If that's too complicated for you, but you do want to use your browser for
>> default viewing, then you can just download this fixpix file to do it
>> automatically for you:
>> Steve Yandl's utilities and repairs
>> http://www.chris-tech.com/~spc911/
>> .....uh, sorry I see the site that hosted Steve Yandl files is not there
>> right now, maybe someone else will have a link to fixpix or even fixpix2
>> if it's needed. (I just don't want to attach it here though)
>> I liked Steve pages because it explained it all and offered files for what
>> littled you needed.
>>
>> However, I do see now that Doug has his site still up for something
>> similar but does it via a vbs file
>> http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm
>>
>> Alan, didn't you use to offer a little reg to do this too?
>>
>> Rick

The standard is iexplore but I suggest you take the easy way out and
install IrfanView and let it make the association for you.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
<wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
>association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't understand.
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
>> Find the association
>> Edit, highlight Open, edit and alter the "Application..." to use
>> whatever program you have for jpeg files.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
>> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Alan: What do I do when I get into file types?

I downloaded the irfanview from one of the sites listed on their page.
downloaded to c/ program files. What next?

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> The standard is iexplore but I suggest you take the easy way out and
> install IrfanView and let it make the association for you.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
> >association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't understand.
> >
> >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
> >
> >> Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types
> >> Find the association
> >> Edit, highlight Open, edit and alter the "Application..." to use
> >> whatever program you have for jpeg files.
> >>
> >> ....Alan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Hi Rick,

I probably have offered a little reg file to do it at some stage.
Doug's fix should do the job though.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rick Chauvin"
<justask@nospamz.com> wrote:

>However, I do see now that Doug has his site still up for something similar
>but does it via a vbs file
>http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm
>
>Alan, didn't you use to offer a little reg to do this too?
>
>Rick

Install it by double-clicking the download.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
<wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I downloaded the irfanview from one of the sites listed on their page.
>downloaded to c/ program files. What next?
>
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> The standard is iexplore but I suggest you take the easy way out and
>> install IrfanView and let it make the association for you.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
>> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >stymied by your response. I don't know how to find the application,
>> >association, or what program I use for JPEG. I'm sorry I don't understand.

Alan: I haven't installed it yet, because the fix that Brackenburn gave me
worked.Do you still recommend using the irfanview program?

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Install it by double-clicking the download.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "wolfman"
> <wolfman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I downloaded the irfanview from one of the sites listed on their page.
> >downloaded to c/ program files. What next?
> >
> >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
> >
> >> The standard is iexplore but I suggest you take the easy way out and
> >> install IrfanView and let it make the association for you.
> >>
> >> ....Alan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

I recommend IrfanView if you deal with many different graphics.
If all you want is to view jpegs in Internet Explorer, then it is
probably not necessary.
You don't have to make IrfanView your default viewer even if you
install it. I have it installed with no file types associated with it.

....Alan