Dual Boot - Success ! (?)

Hello there:

First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed me.
A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.

Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my choice.
The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I thought.

Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure there's another
forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?

My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears and asks
me which system I want to use. GOOD!
Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just white text on
a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows XP being
the default, with a 30 second time-out.

Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?

I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.

Thanks again to all who helped me!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
35 answers Last reply
More about dual boot success

    That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
    OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has installed
    the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
    called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > Hello there:
    >
    > First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed
    me.
    > A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.
    >
    > Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my
    choice.
    > The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I
    thought.

    > Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure
    there's another
    > forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?
    >
    > My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears
    and asks
    > me which system I want to use. GOOD!
    > Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just
    white text on
    > a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows
    XP being
    > the default, with a 30 second time-out.
    >
    > Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?
    >
    > I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
    >
    > Thanks again to all who helped me!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:53:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
    >OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has installed
    >the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
    >called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?

    Well, success is at times short-lived.
    I found "boot.ini" in the root directory of the "C" drive, where W98SE
    is resident.
    I deleted it (iow, it went to the recycle bin).
    Guess what - now nothing will boot.

    The BING menu gives me the choice of W98 or Win XP.
    When I select W98, it tells me
    Invalid boot.ini file.Booting from C:\windows\
    It then goes to the next message:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

    Mu old lap-top (W98SE) has no hal.dll file anywhere.
    I copied it from my wife's XP machine, and, using an emergency
    start-up disk copied it to the system32 folder in the WindowsXP
    folder.

    Still won't boot.

    When I try to boot from the BING menu by selecting Windows XP, the
    following message comes up:
    This partition does not contain an operating system.
    If you're about to install a new OS, then insert the installation
    diskette into Drive A:
    Press any key to run the BIOS bootstarp loader.
    When I press "any key" it goes back to the BING start-up menu.

    How can I retrieve the boot.ini file from the recycle bin using an
    emergency start-up disk?

    Or can I?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Yes, if you are certain that boot.ini ended up in the Recycle Bin, boot
    to a Windows Emergency Boot (Startup) floppy disk. then run the
    following commands (pay attention to spaces in these commands.):

    attrib -s -h c:\recycled\boot.ini
    copy c:\recycled\boot.ini c:\boot.ini
    attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini

    Then pop out the floppy and restart using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

    Yeah, I didn't want you to do anything, just tell me what you saw, <s>.
    When you get back to being able to boot, we can fix things. My mistake
    in the directions I gave you. I should have known better, but it's one
    of those things that acts differently from system to system. Two ways to
    go about this, but let's get to that after you've restored boot.ini.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:53:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > >That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
    > >OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has
    installed
    > >the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
    > >called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?
    >
    > Well, success is at times short-lived.
    > I found "boot.ini" in the root directory of the "C" drive, where W98SE
    > is resident.
    > I deleted it (iow, it went to the recycle bin).
    > Guess what - now nothing will boot.
    >
    > The BING menu gives me the choice of W98 or Win XP.
    > When I select W98, it tells me
    > Invalid boot.ini file.Booting from C:\windows\
    > It then goes to the next message:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    >
    > Mu old lap-top (W98SE) has no hal.dll file anywhere.
    > I copied it from my wife's XP machine, and, using an emergency
    > start-up disk copied it to the system32 folder in the WindowsXP
    > folder.
    >
    > Still won't boot.
    >
    > When I try to boot from the BING menu by selecting Windows XP, the
    > following message comes up:
    > This partition does not contain an operating system.
    > If you're about to install a new OS, then insert the installation
    > diskette into Drive A:
    > Press any key to run the BIOS bootstarp loader.
    > When I press "any key" it goes back to the BING start-up menu.
    >
    > How can I retrieve the boot.ini file from the recycle bin using an
    > emergency start-up disk?
    >
    > Or can I?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:03:43 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Yes, if you are certain that boot.ini ended up in the Recycle Bin, boot
    >to a Windows Emergency Boot (Startup) floppy disk. then run the
    >following commands (pay attention to spaces in these commands.):
    >
    >attrib -s -h c:\recycled\boot.ini
    >copy c:\recycled\boot.ini c:\boot.ini
    >attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini
    >
    >Then pop out the floppy and restart using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

    I guess I shouldn't have been so certain, 'cause it isn't there (at
    least, I can't see it. I do see two other files there, along with the
    ..

    >Yeah, I didn't want you to do anything, just tell me what you saw, <s>.

    Well, you know: Fools rush in . . . . . .Perhaps, this is the time to
    totally start from scratch - re-install W 98SE, then try again with
    Windows XP

    It'll take a day or two, but what the heck - I'm retired . . .

    You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
    really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
    98 startup, let it fail, then insert the Windows 98 Startup disk and run
    this command:

    edit c:\boot.ini

    Then type in the following six lines:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

    Now press Alt-F-S, then Alt-F-X. Run the following command:

    attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini

    Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
    the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    John wrote:
    > Hello there:

    > I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
    >
    > Thanks again to all who helped me!

    Hi!
    Seems that you re-invented the wheel.
    When using BING you should be able to have two independent OS's.
    What you describe is the "vanilla" installation of XP on a system that
    has 98 and it creates the "white on black" menu choices.
    So "Da capo al fine" --> from start.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
    >really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
    "system32" in the W
    Done.

    >Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
    >the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

    Windows XP is starting OK

    When I try to start W98, an error message says:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    "system32" in the W98 folder.

    Next try, it tells me:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    "system32" in the W98 folder.

    BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
    begin with. But, what do I know . . . .

    Trying again, the error message now is:
    Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as :
    load needed DLL's for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem.

    Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
    And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

    Sorry, John, but it's getting late after a long day. I'll reply in the
    AM with some details on how to recover the entire setup.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > >You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If
    it
    > >really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the
    Windows
    > "system32" in the W
    > Done.
    > >
    > >Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always
    choose
    > >the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini
    file:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
    >
    > Windows XP is starting OK
    >
    > When I try to start W98, an error message says:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    > So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    > "system32" in the W98 folder.
    >
    > Next try, it tells me:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    > So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    > "system32" in the W98 folder.
    >
    > BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
    > begin with. But, what do I know . . . .
    >
    > Trying again, the error message now is:
    > Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    > Please report this problem as :
    > load needed DLL's for kernel.
    > Please contact your support person to report this problem.
    >
    > Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
    > And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

    I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
    with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect) used
    to define its path in the boot.ini file.

    Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type this
    in:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

    Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    > <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > >You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
    > >really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
    > "system32" in the W
    > Done.
    > >
    > >Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
    > >the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
    >
    > Windows XP is starting OK
    >
    > When I try to start W98, an error message says:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    > So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    > "system32" in the W98 folder.
    >
    > Next try, it tells me:
    > Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
    > Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    > So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
    > "system32" in the W98 folder.
    >
    > BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
    > begin with. But, what do I know . . . .
    >
    > Trying again, the error message now is:
    > Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    > Please report this problem as :
    > load needed DLL's for kernel.
    > Please contact your support person to report this problem.
    >
    > Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
    > And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

    The way I'm used installing separate OSes, when a third party boot manager
    is used, is to hide the already existing OS partition before installing any
    subsequent OS. This partition hiding is normally done either with the boot
    manager itself, or a third party partitioning software. The boot manager
    should be able to locate the next installed OS after completing the new OS
    install. In some cases, the boot manager may have to be reinstalled after
    the subsequent OS installation because of sector zero, physical hard drive
    boot sector, MBR overwrite.

    What you did, it appears, is install a third party boot manager, and windows
    98. Then you installed wndows XP without hiding the already existing
    windows 98 installation, and selected dual boot option during the XP
    install. That's why you have two (2) sequential boot options. In either
    case, BING will select the boot.ini file in the boot partition to boot from.
    The remaining menu choice is the result of the XP installation and the lack
    of hiding the windows 98 partition. XP will always put the boot files in
    the first ACTIVE, primary partition, otherwise known as the C: drive. In
    this case, because you failed to hide the windows 98 partition, these XP
    boot files were place in the windows 98 partiition.

    XP's dual boot option is sourced from a file in the ACTIVE, primary
    partition, otherwise known as the C: drive. Most third boot managers place
    their boot file in the MBR area or sector zero of the hard drive. The
    latter will be seen first by the PC when turning on the PC or rebooting the
    PC. Thus for the sequence of BING menu, then XP's dual boot option. In
    summary, the PC looks at the MBR, sector zero of the hard drive first.
    Normally the MBR points to the first active primary partition for boot
    files. The third party boot manager intercepts this process at the MBR. Do
    not confuse the MBR with a partition boot area, they are different animals.

    The fix.
    Leave the boot.in file deleted. You don't need it for BING, and a separate
    XP OS install on another partition. Do a "sys c:" from a 98 startup
    diskette. That should get you into windows 98 from BING upon reboot. You
    may have to force BING to remove the current 98 selection, and redetect it.
    It should only show windows 98 as the only choice at that time.

    Next:
    Hide the 98 partition, delete the remaining partition entirely. Do a clean
    install of XP, tell XP to install in remaining space on the hard drive It
    will make an NTFS partition. You may have to reinstall BING, and detect the
    OS installations with BING. Be sure to hide windows 98 partition from XP if
    you so desire, if that option is available in BING. You won't have to do
    the reverse, hide XP if its a NTFS partition, as win98 doesn't natively
    understand NTFS.

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:09:49 -0500, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

    >I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
    >with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect) used
    >to define its path in the boot.ini file.
    >
    >Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type this
    >in:
    >
    >[boot loader]
    >timeout=30
    >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >[operating systems]
    >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
    >

    >Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
    >

    >Regards,

    Thanks, Patti.

    I created a boot.ini file using your "text".

    When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Windows XP
    Windows (default).

    Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
    Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
    "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as :
    load needed DLL's for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem."

    I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you can guide
    me through getting rid of the one menu.
    Think I'd like to keep the BING one.

    Thanks so much, all!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    I think L'il Dave is on the right track. Patti came real close to
    repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu, except for the "default"
    line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read, but since we
    want to get rid of it altogether, we can ignore it (well, it's not
    actually true that we'll get rid of it--it will get installed on the XP
    side, but you won't normally see it and it will only boot Windows XP, as
    if WinXP were the only OS on the system.)

    1. Boot to the Windows 98 system, then insert a Windows 98 startup
    floppy disk and restart. At the A:\ prompt, run:

    sys c:

    Remove the floppy disk, restart, use BING to boot to Windows 98. Does
    that work?

    2. Restart and when you get to BING, drop into Maintenance. Choose "Boot
    Edit". Select the Windows XP entry and then Edit. In the box that pops
    up, on the left it should show whatever label you chose as "Identity"
    and it should show your WinXP partition in the "Boot" selection. In the
    "MBR Details" pane, make sure everything except the Windows XP partition
    is "Hidden". Click OK, then OK again (should have you back at
    Maintenance desktop.) Click "Resume", choose Windows XP and go. This
    startup should fail.

    3. Insert the Windows XP installation CD and restart. When you get to
    the option of a "Recovery Console", choose that. (Press 'R'). Once you
    get to the Recovery Console (may need a password), run the following
    command:

    fixboot

    Then use EXIT command, remove the XP CD and restart. I *think* this will
    fix everything. You'll have some extra files on the Windows 98 side
    (boot.ini, ntloader and those files you copied to \system32\.) You can
    leave them or try renaming them (first), testing that everything is OK
    before deleting them. There will also be some Hidden folders named
    "System Volume Information" that you can delete (on the partitions that
    you've hidden from XP) and perhaps a few others, but they're an affront
    to aesthetics, nothing more.

    Be sure you go to Windows Updates after it's all fixed and install all
    updates. I forget if you mentioned if this new copy of XP you have
    already has Service Pack 2, but if not, that's the first update you
    want.

    Sorry I screwed this up so badly. I knew there was an issue with *how*
    you hide partitions in BING, but part of it has to do, I think, with
    whether BING is installed or not. If it's not installed, I think hiding
    the partitions in Partition Work will hide the partition from WinXP. But
    when BING is installed to the HD, and the BING partition is made Active,
    then you have to use the Boot Menu to hide partitions you don't want XP
    to see. I just haven't done enough of this stuff, recently, for it to
    stick--my short term memory has been going downhill quickly over the
    last couple of years.

    Brings me to one more point: When you installed BING, did you create a
    small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
    Win98 partition? If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
    shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
    it, telling it to create its own partition.

    --

    <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

    > >I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the
    problem
    > >with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
    > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect)
    used
    > >to define its path in the boot.ini file.
    > >
    > >Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but
    type this
    > >in:
    > >
    > >[boot loader]
    > >timeout=30
    > >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >[operating systems]
    > >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
    > >

    > >Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
    > >

    > >Regards,
    >
    > Thanks, Patti.
    >
    > I created a boot.ini file using your "text".
    >
    > When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
    > Microsoft Windows 98
    > Windows XP
    > Windows (default).
    >
    > Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
    > Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
    > "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    > Please report this problem as :
    > load needed DLL's for kernel.
    > Please contact your support person to report this problem."
    >
    > I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you
    can guide
    > me through getting rid of the one menu.
    > Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
    >
    > Thanks so much, all!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    I'm thinking there's a flaw in the procedure to SYS C:, that it will
    deactivate BING. So, if after doing the SYS C: procedure, the system
    boots straight to Windows 98, without going to the BING boot menu first,
    you can simply restart with the BING install floppy disk inserted, then
    "Reactivate".

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    > >
    > > When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
    > > Microsoft Windows 98
    > > Windows XP
    > > Windows (default).
    > >
    > > Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
    > > Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
    > > "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    > > Please report this problem as :
    > > load needed DLL's for kernel.
    > > Please contact your support person to report this problem."
    > >
    > > I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time
    you
    > can guide
    > > me through getting rid of the one menu.
    > > Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
    > >
    > > Thanks so much, all!
    > >
    > > John <><
    > >
    > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    Oooops.......guess I shoulda had more coffee before I posted that boot.ini
    file, which should have looked more like this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=C:\
    [operating systems]
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

    But since you are able to boot into 98 now, you could leave it as is, like
    you said.

    I know that your ultimate goal is to get rid of XP's boot.ini and use BING's
    boot manager. Lil' Dave has posted one method. Another method (which I have
    done, using Partition Magic and its boot manager, Boot Magic.....I have not
    used BING) is to use BING to delete the XP partition then to create a new
    partition in the unallocated space, make it the active partition and format
    it FAT32 for the install of WIN9x OS . Boot from the WIN98 startup disk
    (format the second partition if that option is not available in BING) and
    install WIN98. Once the second WIN98 is installed, do an upgrade install of
    XP.......this will place the boot.ini file, referencing only the XP
    partition, on the second partition and not the first.

    Before performing the deletion of the XP partition, etc., do as Lil' Dave
    posted in his first paragraph under "The fix." and run sys c: from the WIN98
    startup disk.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:09:49 -0500, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca>
    wrote:

    > >I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
    > >with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
    > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect)
    used
    > >to define its path in the boot.ini file.
    > >
    > >Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type
    this
    > >in:
    > >
    > >[boot loader]
    > >timeout=30
    > >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >[operating systems]
    > >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    > >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
    > >

    > >Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
    > >

    > >Regards,
    >
    > Thanks, Patti.
    >
    > I created a boot.ini file using your "text".
    >
    > When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
    > Microsoft Windows 98
    > Windows XP
    > Windows (default).
    >
    > Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
    > Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
    > "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    > Please report this problem as :
    > load needed DLL's for kernel.
    > Please contact your support person to report this problem."
    >
    > I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you can
    guide
    > me through getting rid of the one menu.
    > Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
    >
    > Thanks so much, all!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    <snip>
    Patti came real close to repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu, except
    for the "default"
    line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read
    <snip>
    I corrected it in my second post. Still can't believe I missed it in my
    original post, but no harm done.

    btw, Happy Belated Birthday, Gary!

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Yeah, I saw, <s>. And I think you have it, though I can't test right
    now. My daughter has yet to move her rebuilt Dell back into her room
    from my living-room KVM repair station, so I'm short my usual test
    station, plus I had to temporarily deed my second box to my wife to
    replace *her* system--there was a rash of serious hardware problems in
    March, both in this household and in several others around town--suspect
    some malware was at least partially to blame. Of course, daughter's
    excuse is that we're in the middle of a long, drawn out process of
    moving from this house to a new one up the street, and her room is
    currently inaccessible. But then, it's *usually* that way!

    Still, John's goal is to separate the two systems entirely.

    And thanks!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > Patti came real close to repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu,
    except
    > for the "default"
    > line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read
    > <snip>
    > I corrected it in my second post. Still can't believe I missed it in
    my
    > original post, but no harm done.
    >
    > btw, Happy Belated Birthday, Gary!
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    LOL!! Sounds kinda like my current situation ....... my test rig, on which I
    could double-check the boot.ini file (as it's running WIN9x and XP) is
    currently out of the picture, as I'm working on doing a system rebuild of a
    friend's laptop, so the laptop has taken my rig's place on the workbench.

    And I do understand John's ultimate goal of separating the two OSes. I was
    able to achieve the separation of 9x and NT-style, using BootMagic for boot
    manager, by doing an upgrade of the NT-style OS on a 9x partition. If there
    is a method of achieving that without having to delete John's XP partition
    and thus have to format/reinstall XP (and, perhaps, 9x and then XP) that
    would be great. Unfortunately, being unable to currently use my test rig, I
    cannot experiment with how to do that using BING in order to give him a good
    "step-by-step".

    And now I must prepare myself for the afternoon shift at my place of
    employment.

    Have a great day!

    Regards,

    --

> [...]
    > diskette. That should get you into windows 98 from BING upon reboot. You
    > may have to force BING to remove the current 98 selection, and redetect
    it.
    > It should only show windows 98 as the only choice at that time.
    >
    > Next:
    > Hide the 98 partition, delete the remaining partition entirely. Do a
    clean
    > install of XP, tell XP to install in remaining space on the hard drive It
    > will make an NTFS partition. You may have to reinstall BING, and detect
    the
    > OS installations with BING. Be sure to hide windows 98 partition from XP
    if
    > you so desire, if that option is available in BING. You won't have to do
    > the reverse, hide XP if its a NTFS partition, as win98 doesn't natively

    keep it fat 32 unless you have state secrets.
    your 'home pc-ing' will be a much better experience if
    both o/s's are fat32.
    trust me, you will thank me.

    froggy

    > "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hello there:
    > >
    > > First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed
    me.
    > > A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.
    > >
    > > Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my
    > choice.
    > > The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I
    > thought.
    > >
    > > Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure there's
    > another
    > > forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?
    > >
    > > My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears
    and
    > asks
    > > me which system I want to use. GOOD!
    > > Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just white
    > text on
    > > a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows XP
    > being
    > > the default, with a 30 second time-out.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?
    > >
    > > I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
    > >
    > > Thanks again to all who helped me!
    > >
    > > John <><
    > >
    > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 00:39:47 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:

    Thanks, Gary, Patti, Lil' Dave, and froggy for all your input.

    Right now, I can boot both systems, although I still have the two sequential
    boot menus.

    I've printed it all your input; will read it all (at least twice) and see how
    things go.

    BTW, Patti, the second "text" you gave me for the boot.ini file works like a
    charm.

    And Gary: You asked;
    > When you installed BING, did you create a
    >small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
    >Win98 partition?

    I did the latter

    >If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
    >shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
    >it, telling it to create its own partition.

    Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.
    You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you crying
    again because I have another big problem.

    Thank you all for now. I'll report back.

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If you don't have success with my latest procedures, I promise to set up
    a test machine to figure it all out, <s>.

    --

    > On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 00:39:47 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, Gary, Patti, Lil' Dave, and froggy for all your input.
    >
    > Right now, I can boot both systems, although I still have the two
    sequential
    > boot menus.
    >
    > I've printed it all your input; will read it all (at least twice) and
    see how
    > things go.
    >
    > BTW, Patti, the second "text" you gave me for the boot.ini file works
    like a
    > charm.
    >
    > And Gary: You asked;
    > > When you installed BING, did you create a
    > >small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
    > >Win98 partition?
    >
    > I did the latter
    >
    > >If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
    > >shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then
    reinstall
    > >it, telling it to create its own partition.
    >
    > Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.
    > You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to
    you crying
    > again because I have another big problem.
    >
    > Thank you all for now. I'll report back.
    >

    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    John wrote:

    > Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.
    > You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you crying
    > again because I have another big problem.

    Don't apologise, we all remember the teething problems of computer usage.
    They fade into insignificance in short time.
    (the time is even shorter if you are brave enough to ask)

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 00:39:47 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, Gary, Patti, Lil' Dave, and froggy for all your input.

    You're most welcome for the input!

    > Right now, I can boot both systems, although I still have the two
    sequential
    > boot menus.
    >
    > I've printed it all your input; will read it all (at least twice) and see
    how
    > things go.
    >
    > BTW, Patti, the second "text" you gave me for the boot.ini file works like
    > charm.

    Glad to hear it :-) Sorry about the messup the first time 'round.

    > And Gary: You asked;
    > > When you installed BING, did you create a
    > >small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
    > >Win98 partition?
    >
    > I did the latter
    >
    > >If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
    > >shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
    > >it, telling it to create its own partition.
    >
    > Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.

    That's how a lot of us have learned, though, by messing up and then
    attempting to clean up the mess <g>

    > You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you
    crying
    > again because I have another big problem.

    That's why we frequent these newsgroups, though.......to assist people with
    their computer problems. If it weren't for these problems, we'd be out of a
    "job", so to speak.

    > Thank you all for now. I'll report back.
    >

    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 23:28:18 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >I think you'd be better off with a "Normal Boot Menu", not the "Direct
    >Boot Menu". The option is in BING Settings. Drop into Maintenance, click
    >on "Settings", then uncheck *both* "Direct Boot Menu" and "Display DB
    >Button." Click OK.

    Done

    >Now click "Resume" to get the Normal Boot Menu. Click on the
    >"Windows98SE" item to highlight it, then click "Edit". In the right-hand
    >pane of the next window, your Win98 partition should be the top item in
    >the large pane. It should also be the item that shows in the "Boot" item
    >at left. The WinXP partition should be next in the list. Click on that
    >and then click "Hide". If the BootIt EMBRM is listed, do the same. Leave
    >the "Data" partition on HD1 alone. Click OK, which will take you back to
    >the "Boot Menu".

    Done

    >Next, click on the Windows XP item in the "Boot Menu" and then click
    >Edit. This time, Hide the Win98 partition, leave the WinXP partition
    >unhidden, Hide the EMBRL partition and do what you wish with the Data
    >partition--Hide it if you don't want it visible to the Windows XP
    >system. Click OK.

    Done

    >Back at the Boot Menu, make sure there are no floppies inserted, insert
    >the Windows XP installation CD, then select the Windows XP item, then
    >press Alt-S. This should boot to the CD. You want to go through the
    >menus until it suggests that you can do a Repair installation--not the
    >Repair Console option, which comes first. The option will be to repair
    >this installation or to install a completely new copy. The sequence is:
    >1. Press any key to boot from CD.
    >2. Press <Enter> to continue.
    >3. Press F8 to accept EULA.
    >4. Press 'R' to Repair the installation that has been detected.

    I was unable to complete the above suggestions ( 1 - 4 )
    I inserted my W XP disk (it is an "upgrade disk"). Eventually, a blue screen
    with while lettering came up:

    Windows XP Home Edition Setup

    Welcome to Setup.

    This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run on your
    computer.

    · To set up Windows XP now press ENTER

    · To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

    · To quit without installing Windows XP, press F3

    I can not see a "Repair Installation" option - only the Recovery Console.
    When I press "R", the following screen appears:

    Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
    The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
    Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console, and restart the computer.

    1: C:\WINDOWS

    Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    (To cancel, press ENTER)?

    At this point, I exited the program. I was afraid that going on might overwrite
    or upgrade my W98SE program which is on "C" (HD 0, partition 0)

    Should I try do do a full installation of W XP again instead? It would taske
    some time, but I've got the time . . . .

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > I inserted my W XP disk (it is an "upgrade disk"). Eventually, a blue
    screen
    > with while lettering came up:
    >
    > Windows XP Home Edition Setup
    >
    > Welcome to Setup.
    >
    > This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run
    on your
    > computer.
    >
    > · To set up Windows XP now press ENTER
    >
    > · To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R
    >
    > · To quit without installing Windows XP, press F3
    >
    > I can not see a "Repair Installation" option - only the Recovery Console.
    > When I press "R", the following screen appears:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
    > The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
    > Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console, and restart the computer.
    >
    > 1: C:\WINDOWS
    >
    > Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
    > (To cancel, press ENTER)?
    >
    > At this point, I exited the program. I was afraid that going on might
    overwrite
    > or upgrade my W98SE program which is on "C" (HD 0, partition 0)
    >
    > Should I try do do a full installation of W XP again instead? It would
    taske
    > some time, but I've got the time . . . .
    >

    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    The Repair option which Gary is referring to does not show up on the first
    Welcome to Setup menu. When you press ENTER for the option "To set up
    Windows XP now press ENTER" and then Press F8 to accept EULA. Setup will now
    search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any, it
    will display this screen:

    If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can try to
    repair it.
    Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
    .. To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    .. To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press
    Esc.

    Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
    installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you want to
    repair, press R.

    If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that the
    repair option was not available.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thank you, Patti, <s>. I didn't dare go beyond that stage where it
    suggests repairing the existing installation (after accepting EULA.)
    Wasn't sure what happened next and couldn't afford to take a chance on
    messing mine up.

    --

> [...]
    will now
    > search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any,
    it
    > will display this screen:
    >
    > If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can
    try to
    > repair it.
    > Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
    > . To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    > . To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press
    > Esc.
    >
    > Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
    > installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you
    want to
    > repair, press R.
    >
    > If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You're welcome :-)

    I waited a bit before horning in on your thread, as I realize that John is
    in the midst of an ongoing "dialogue" with you, and I didn't want it to turn
    into a "too many cooks spoil the broth" situation instead of a "two heads
    are better than one" situation.

    Fortunately, I have several "tutes" that I created during experimentation
    saved to a "Format/Install/Repair Install" folder just for these occasions
    <g>

    As for the BING stuff, I'll leave that to you, as I have not yet
    experimented with it (will probably be doing so when my new custom computer
    arrives shortly, and I redo my current one to be the new experiment
    computer).

    Regards,

    --

> [...]
    > will now
    > > search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any,
    > it
    > > will display this screen:
    > >
    > > If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can
    > try to
    > > repair it.
    > > Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
    > > . To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
    > > . To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    > press
    > > Esc.
    > >
    > > Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
    > > installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you
    > want to
    > > repair, press R.
    > >
    > > If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:57:27 -0400, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

    >You're welcome :-)

    Thanks so far, Patti and Gary (not in order of importance, but I betcha that
    Patti is the better-looking one):

    I followed your instructions, Gary - using the detai;ed instructions you gave
    me, Patti.
    Things are looking up - I can boot to both OS'd from both menus now (I think).

    Just playing with it a bit before I report back to you (which I will do).

    Really appreciate the time and interest y'all (my plural for "you" ever since I
    spent my winters in Florida) are taking in my problems.

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    No problem, and believe *me* Patti is the better-looking!
    Gary:
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AE162829-C413-4E59-8C6F-9415EEB3201A
    Patti:
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=81678899-98bc-45a3-a65f-b219b1bd7776

    So, you still get the Windows XP boot menu when you choose Windows 98 in
    BING, right? And then you can choose either OS? Do you get the XP Boot
    menu when you choose Windows XP in BING? Or does it go straight through?

    --

    <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

    > >You're welcome :-)
    > >
    > Thanks so far, Patti and Gary (not in order of importance, but I
    betcha that
    > Patti is the better-looking one):
    >
    > I followed your instructions, Gary - using the detai;ed instructions
    you gave
    > me, Patti.
    > Things are looking up - I can boot to both OS'd from both menus now (I
    think).

    > Just playing with it a bit before I report back to you (which I will
    do).

    > Really appreciate the time and interest y'all (my plural for "you"
    ever since I
    > spent my winters in Florida) are taking in my problems.
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:37:57 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >No problem, and believe *me* Patti is the better-looking!
    >Gary:
    >https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AE162829-C413-4E59-8C6F-9415EEB3201A
    >Patti:
    >https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=81678899-98bc-45a3-a65f-b219b1bd7776
    >
    >So, you still get the Windows XP boot menu when you choose Windows 98 in
    >BING, right? And then you can choose either OS? Do you get the XP Boot
    >menu when you choose Windows XP in BING? Or does it go straight through?

    OK guys, this is where it's at right now:

    On boot-up, I get the BING menu - two lines:

    Windows 98SE
    Windows XP

    I found that there are boot.ini files in both the W98 and W-XP partitions.

    Choosing Windows 98SE brings a windows menu - also two lines:

    Windows 98SE (default)
    Windows XP

    Choosing either one of those will boot the corresponding OS

    Choosing Windows XP (from the BING menu) also brings a windows menu - also two
    lines:
    Windows XP (default)
    Windows 98SE

    Choosing Windows XP boots that OS
    Choosing Windows 98 gives the following error message:

    "This partition does not contain an operating system.
    If you are about to install an new OS, insert the installation diskette into
    Drive "A".
    Press any key to run the BIOS bootstrap loader"

    In both of the boot.ini files, I set the time-out to 1 (one) second,
    so it zips right through them.
    In the BING menu, I set the time-out to three seconds.
    It defaults to the item used the last time.

    Normally, I use W 98SE - so I just boot up the computer, let it do it's things,
    and W98 is ready.

    When I want W XP, I just select it in the BING menu, and up it comes.

    As far as I am concerned, this is almost perfect - not sure if I want to tweak
    it further - although I'm open to suggestions.

    Thanks to all who helped!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
    C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

    That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
    to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
    you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.

    If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
    BING's menu, then do the following:

    At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
    the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
    cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:

    sys c:

    Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
    works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.

    --

    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    > >No problem, and believe *me* Patti is the better-looking!
    > >Gary:
    >
    >https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AE162829-C413-4E59-8C6F-9415E
    EB3201A
    > >Patti:
    >
    >https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=81678899-98bc-45a3-a65f-b219b
    1bd7776

    > >So, you still get the Windows XP boot menu when you choose Windows 98
    in
    > >BING, right? And then you can choose either OS? Do you get the XP
    Boot
    > >menu when you choose Windows XP in BING? Or does it go straight
    through?

    > OK guys, this is where it's at right now:
    >
    > On boot-up, I get the BING menu - two lines:
    >
    > Windows 98SE
    > Windows XP
    >
    > I found that there are boot.ini files in both the W98 and W-XP
    partitions.

    > Choosing Windows 98SE brings a windows menu - also two lines:
    >
    > Windows 98SE (default)
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Choosing either one of those will boot the corresponding OS
    >
    > Choosing Windows XP (from the BING menu) also brings a windows menu -
    also two
    > lines:
    > Windows XP (default)
    > Windows 98SE
    >
    > Choosing Windows XP boots that OS
    > Choosing Windows 98 gives the following error message:
    >
    > "This partition does not contain an operating system.
    > If you are about to install an new OS, insert the installation
    diskette into
    > Drive "A".
    > Press any key to run the BIOS bootstrap loader"
    >
    > In both of the boot.ini files, I set the time-out to 1 (one) second,
    > so it zips right through them.
    > In the BING menu, I set the time-out to three seconds.
    > It defaults to the item used the last time.
    >
    > Normally, I use W 98SE - so I just boot up the computer, let it do
    it's things,
    > and W98 is ready.
    >
    > When I want W XP, I just select it in the BING menu, and up it comes.
    >
    > As far as I am concerned, this is almost perfect - not sure if I want
    to tweak
    > it further - although I'm open to suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks to all who helped!
    >

    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
    >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    >
    >That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
    >to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
    >you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.
    >
    >If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
    >BING's menu, then do the following:
    >
    >At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
    >the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
    >cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:
    >
    >sys c:
    >
    >Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
    >works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.

    Thanks, Gary - I did the above, and it all worked just as you said it would.

    Thanks a whole lot (and also to all other who helped out) for getting me this
    far.

    BTW, would you recommenf the alt.windows-xp as a good forum to ask questions
    about Windows XP, or is there a better one?
    I'm not impressed with the language of some people on that group - however if it
    is otherwise useful, I can easily ignore certain posts.

    Thanks again, all!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    > >Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
    > >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    > >
    > >That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
    > >to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
    > >you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.
    > >
    > >If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
    > >BING's menu, then do the following:
    > >
    > >At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
    > >the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
    > >cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:
    > >
    > >sys c:
    > >
    > >Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
    > >works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.
    >
    > Thanks, Gary - I did the above, and it all worked just as you said it
    would.

    > Thanks a whole lot (and also to all other who helped out) for getting me
    this
    > far.
    >
    > BTW, would you recommenf the alt.windows-xp as a good forum to ask
    questions
    > about Windows XP, or is there a better one?
    > I'm not impressed with the language of some people on that group - however
    if it
    > is otherwise useful, I can easily ignore certain posts.
    >
    > Thanks again, all!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    You're very welcome, John! :-)

    Glad to hear that all seems to be working well, now.

    There's a number of microsoft.public.winxp groups to which you could post
    your XP questions, such as:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

    to name a few <g>

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    What she said! Though I hear that windowsxp.general can be zoo-like and
    prone to troll attacks--just like this one was five years ago, <g>.

    --

    > "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that
    says:
    > > >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
    > > >
    > > >That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to
    boot
    > > >to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether,
    though
    > > >you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.
    > > >
    > > >If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98
    at
    > > >BING's menu, then do the following:
    > > >
    > > >At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then
    click on
    > > >the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
    > > >cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:
    > > >
    > > >sys c:
    > > >
    > > >Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming
    this
    > > >works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Gary - I did the above, and it all worked just as you said
    it
    > would.
    > >
    > > Thanks a whole lot (and also to all other who helped out) for
    getting me
    > this
    > > far.
    > >
    > > BTW, would you recommenf the alt.windows-xp as a good forum to ask
    > questions
    > > about Windows XP, or is there a better one?
    > > I'm not impressed with the language of some people on that group -
    however
    > if it
    > > is otherwise useful, I can easily ignore certain posts.
    > >
    > > Thanks again, all!
    > >
    > > John <><
    > >
    > > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    >
    > You're very welcome, John! :-)
    >
    > Glad to hear that all seems to be working well, now.
    >
    > There's a number of microsoft.public.winxp groups to which you could
    post
    > your XP questions, such as:
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
    >
    > to name a few <g>
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Regards,

    --
    > What she said!

    ;-)

    >Though I hear that windowsxp.general can be zoo-like and
    > prone to troll attacks--just like this one was five years ago, <g>.

    I think Dan exaggerates a bit <g>.......the conduct of a few in
    windowsxp.general absolutely PALES in comparison to the posters in the alt
    newsgroups.

    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I wouldn't know what Dan says, I blocked him a while back, <s>.

    Yeah, I'd have to agree there's no comparison with Alt NGs, but with
    that kind of traffic, windowsxp.general has got to be intimidating for
    new users... Which is why there's a windowsxp.newusers group, I guess,
    ;<)

    --

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > What she said!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > >Though I hear that windowsxp.general can be zoo-like and
    > > prone to troll attacks--just like this one was five years ago, <g>.
    >
    > I think Dan exaggerates a bit <g>.......the conduct of a few in
    > windowsxp.general absolutely PALES in comparison to the posters in the
    alt
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune