Overabundance/Lack of Things

I've only seen the first 10 levels of the dungeon but did you notice
either an overabundance or lack of certain items? For example, if I find
a towel early on, I would likely find another one soon. The shops would
have towels too. Or if I find a spellbook early on, I'd find more. Or if
I find an altar early I'd most likely find more. If I don't find one
early, then I usually don't find one (that is until I die :) ). The same
goes for the number of dark rooms I think. Is this intentional to create
a dungeon characteristic or just an artifact of random number generator?

BandC <onefunus@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've only seen the first 10 levels of the dungeon but did you
> notice either an overabundance or lack of certain items?

Yes. However, I am quite sure that it's the 'full moon effect'.

[Somehow, it was common in some countries to assume that full
moon nights were somehow special. Midwifes in particular
believed that much more births were taking place in full
moon nights than anytime else. Statistical evaluation
revealed absolutely no significant difference. The explanation
for this discrepancy was that, if a midwive had a busy night,
looked out of the window and saw the full moon, they remembered
this, while if they didn't see it, they forgot about this 'failed'
observation. Hence, their memory was biased and yielded nonexistent
correlations between the two events. Moral is that memory tends
to forget data showing no correlation, and hence should not be
trusted blindly.]

Best,
Jakob

BandC wrote:

> I've only seen the first 10 levels of the dungeon but did you notice
> either an overabundance or lack of certain items? For example, if I find
> a towel early on, I would likely find another one soon. The shops would
> have towels too. Or if I find a spellbook early on, I'd find more. Or if
> I find an altar early I'd most likely find more. If I don't find one
> early, then I usually don't find one (that is until I die :) ). The same
> goes for the number of dark rooms I think. Is this intentional to create
> a dungeon characteristic or just an artifact of random number generator?

Totally artifact from the RNG. Let's see. How many times you have
noticed that there is an abundance or total lack of axes in the game? Or
how many times there were just one towel, couple of altars nicely spaced
in the depth and just an odd dark room on lower levels?

It's the way ones mind works. In everyday life a good example is that
you remember if a friend has not contacted you a long time and you
remember when she contacted you just as you were thinking her, but you
don't remember all those cases when she contacted you and you were not
thinking her.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

james wrote:

>There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
>will be towels. Count your blessings :)

Outstanding great YANI --- Nudehack!

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Sean wrote:

> james wrote:
>> There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
>> will be towels. Count your blessings :)
>
> I live in constant fear of that game, or the one where the RNG, on a whim,
> decides to keep the dungeon entirely devoid of all randomly generated
> monsters and items.

Could such a game be ascended? How would one get to level 14? Create
monster, hope for a pudding? Sounds like the only time pudding farming
would be required...

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <ap7jfo60q1.fsf@fb04349.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Jakob Creutzig <creutzig@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>Yes. However, I am quite sure that it's the 'full moon effect'.

Midwifery aside, some full moon effects are doubtless corellated to the
fact that, in pre-industrial eras, more people would venture out at
night on a full moon than on other nights.

I've seen the effect at long gatherings in the wilderness (where I've
had the experience of seeing my way around by starlight, something I
hope everyone has a chance to do sometime in their lives)... People will
walk about more on a full moon than a new moon, certainly.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

BandC <onefunus@yahoo.com> wrote in news:aTFCe.13595$9S1.5571@tornado.rdc-
kc.rr.com:

> I've only seen the first 10 levels of the dungeon but did you notice
> either an overabundance or lack of certain items? For example, if I find
> a towel early on, I would likely find another one soon. The shops would
> have towels too. Or if I find a spellbook early on, I'd find more. Or if
> I find an altar early I'd most likely find more. If I don't find one
> early, then I usually don't find one (that is until I die :) ). The same
> goes for the number of dark rooms I think. Is this intentional to create
> a dungeon characteristic or just an artifact of random number generator?

my favorite (and probably most useful) is the spellbook "game". Spellbooks in
chests, spellbooks on the ground 7 or 8 before you finish sokoban sometimes
without even entering a shop!

james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:

> Midwifery aside, some full moon effects are doubtless corellated to
> the fact that, in pre-industrial eras, more people would venture out
> at night on a full moon than on other nights.
>
> I've seen the effect at long gatherings in the wilderness (where I've
> had the experience of seeing my way around by starlight, something I
> hope everyone has a chance to do sometime in their lives)... People
> will walk about more on a full moon than a new moon, certainly.

I had paper routes for years when I was a kid, nowhere near streetlights
and the like. I took a flashlight, but a lot of the time I didn't need
it. If you're in the open there's a surprising amount of light.

And if it's been snowing (but isn't at the moment) it can be amazingly
bright out there.

Keith

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

james wrote:
> There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
> will be towels. Count your blessings :)

I live in constant fear of that game, or the one where the RNG, on a
whim, decides to keep the dungeon entirely devoid of all randomly
generated monsters and items.

seraphim

Adam Lawson <adam.lawson@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Sean wrote:
>
>> james wrote:
>>> There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped
>>> items will be towels. Count your blessings :)
>>
>> I live in constant fear of that game, or the one where the RNG, on
>> a whim, decides to keep the dungeon entirely devoid of all randomly
>> generated monsters and items.
>>

> Could such a game be ascended? How would one get to level 14? Create
> monster, hope for a pudding? Sounds like the only time pudding
> farming would be required...

There are a pretty good number of non-randomly generated monsters and
items in the game. They would probably be sufficient to get a character
to level 14.

Keith Davies wrote:

> I had paper routes for years when I was a kid, nowhere near
> streetlights and the like. I took a flashlight, but a lot of the
> time I didn't need it. If you're in the open there's a surprising
> amount of light.
>
> And if it's been snowing (but isn't at the moment) it can be amazingly
> bright out there.

I remember a school camp once, where we had to go into the woods at
night to search for something (as a game). Since it was a full moon,
hardly anyone wanted to take a flashlight with him, and those who did,
weren't allowed to, since this could blind the others.

Little did we realise that this full moon night was one with an overcast
sky, and also an eclipse.

Now that was a dark night...

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

james wrote:

>There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
>will be towels. Count your blessings :)

Let's increase the probability that all dropped items will be towels!
Yet Another Silly Idea: The Spa of (Enter name of Pleasure God/Goddess
here)
Most of the level would be alternating squares of lava and water. Random
squares would be obscured by steam. Random events of "You hear a hissing
sound". A solid path would lead to the stairs; but the path would have
many branches -- not all of which are safe. Passing thru areas of steam
would cause rust.

One section of the level would contain the Spa. The Spa is a temple to
the Pleasure God/Goddess. Entrance to the Spa requires purchasing a
towel from the Attendant. You can also purchase more towels, potions of
oil, potions of booze, herbs, and an oilskin sack to put your belongings
in. Of course, since this is a Spa, all prices would be triple. The Spa
would contain other attendants in 1x2 closets whom could work on you --
for a price. The temple altar is disguised as a massage table. Possible
effects would be :increase of charisam (get a facial), increase of
con(aroma therapy -- eucalyptus costs extra), increase of dex (massage
out those kinks). Of course therapy with a cursed accoutrements would
decrease those stats. Of course the spa would have at least one nurse.
For those whose pleasure runs to the more exotic, foocubi are available.

If your pleasure tends to the more violent, all Attendants would have
the ability to cast "charm monster" as a 15th level mage. Violent
offenders, or those who attempt to convert the altar, or steal would
then be charmed and taken to the down stairs and pushed down. All
offenses would be forcibly reimbursed ...even if they have to take your
bag. If you can't be charmed, the God(dess) would send in Fire and Water
Elementals to beat you into submission. And Kops would not be a bad idea
either.

did I forget anything?

chuck wrote:

> my favorite (and probably most useful) is the spellbook "game".
> Spellbooks in chests, spellbooks on the ground 7 or 8 before you finish
> sokoban sometimes without even entering a shop!

And it *always* happens when I'm playing illiterate V or C. Or S, which I
play as literate but unwilling to learn and cast spells.

Raisse, killed by an exploding rune

Sean wrote:
> james wrote:
>
>> There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
>> will be towels. Count your blessings :)
>

> I live in constant fear of that game, or the one where the RNG, on a
> whim, decides to keep the dungeon entirely devoid of all randomly
> generated monsters and items.

Or better yet, all randomly generated monsters are gnomes and all
randomly generated items are wands of death ;)

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>
>> I had paper routes for years when I was a kid, nowhere near
>> streetlights and the like. I took a flashlight, but a lot of the
>> time I didn't need it. If you're in the open there's a surprising
>> amount of light.
>>
>> And if it's been snowing (but isn't at the moment) it can be amazingly
>> bright out there.
>
> I remember a school camp once, where we had to go into the woods at
> night to search for something (as a game). Since it was a full moon,
> hardly anyone wanted to take a flashlight with him, and those who did,
> weren't allowed to, since this could blind the others.
>
> Little did we realise that this full moon night was one with an overcast
> sky, and also an eclipse.
>
> Now that was a dark night...

No doubt.

heh, I was just reminded of a camping trip when I was 14. A warm, clear
night, so from time to time we'd pick up our bottles[1], wander out in
the field, find a place to sit down, and bs for a while. Then we'd
wander back and get some more... and wander out somewhere else.

Two things I remember, light-related:

1. Rob dropped his cigarettes somewhere out there, so he was wandering
around trying to find them... using the dead flashlight.

2. trying to cook hamburger at 2am. The flashlight was dead, and the
lantern had run out of fuel. "Is it ready?" "Ow! Well, it's *hot*"

[1] no, it wasn't legal drinking. Oh well.

Keith

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

BManx2000 wrote:

>>> There's always the exceedingly low probability that *all* dropped items
>>> will be towels. Count your blessings :)
>>
>> I live in constant fear of that game, or the one where the RNG, on a
>> whim, decides to keep the dungeon entirely devoid of all randomly
>> generated monsters and items.
>
> Or better yet, all randomly generated monsters are gnomes and all
> randomly generated items are wands of death ;)

You would, of course, find a cloak of displacement in the first room of
the dungeon just so your nerves can be worn down by countless too-close
calls.