Modem

I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer. Also
fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial up
the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of the
regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
further suggestions. Bob

2GB is the maximum for a fat16 drive, is 'large drive support' enabled in
Fdisk, and the drive formatted fat32

The dial tone may only require a delay in the dial string, some telcos need
a pause before the dial tone begins. in many modems the character is either
a comma or a hash before the number each character being a half second delay
,,,5555555

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer.
Also
> fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
> recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
> Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
> up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial
up
> the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of
the
> regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
> modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
> further suggestions. Bob

Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer. Also
> fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
> recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
> Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
> up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial up
> the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of the
> regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
> modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
> further suggestions. Bob

I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the tick
from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second phone
on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what is
COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

> Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
>

> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer.
Also
> > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
> > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by
Diamond
> > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the
thumbs
> > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial
up
> > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of
the
> > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc.
The
> > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
> > further suggestions. Bob

Com3 is a virtual port, its the line socket on the modem card, and some
address space in the computer, otherwise would usurp the normal hardware
ports 1 & 2

Obvious question, for which I apologise, but is the line cable plugged in to
the line jack not the handset jack on the modem card
that would give only a click, since the modem would cut off the handset
prior to trying to dial

--

> I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the
tick
> from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
> claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
phone
> on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
> click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
> removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what
is
> COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

> > Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
> > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> >

> > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2
computer.
> Also
> > > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
> > > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by
> Diamond
> > > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the
> thumbs
> > > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it
dial
> up
> > > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most
of
> the
> > > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc.
> The
> > > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
> > > further suggestions. Bob

Many thanks for your reply. The modern has only a line port as it is very
old (1997) and after I installed the latest drivers using its modem ID to
locate the correct ones, it changed the name of the modem in device manager
to 'SupraExpress 56i Intl' Further information which I obtained from
'Belarc' is that the motherboard is and AX6L dated 11/18/97 and originally
designed for Windows 95. I have a feeling the dial out modem is not working
properly but if you have any other suggestions to determine its
serviceability I will give them a go. Just another poser Belarc says I have
a Quantum Fireball (10.26GB) but the local drive volume is 2.15 MB. c: (on
drive 0) I am sure I didn't partition the drive when installing windows
98SE. Bob

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Com3 is a virtual port, its the line socket on the modem card, and some
> address space in the computer, otherwise would usurp the normal hardware
> ports 1 & 2
>
> Obvious question, for which I apologise, but is the line cable plugged in
> the line jack not the handset jack on the modem card
> that would give only a click, since the modem would cut off the handset
> prior to trying to dial
>

> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the
> tick
> > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
> > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
> phone
> > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
> > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
> > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what
> is
> > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
> > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
> > >

> > > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> computer.
> > Also
> > Diamond
> > thumbs
> dial
> > up
> of
> > the
> > The

when you set up the drive for windows
If you did NOT specifically check a little check box for large drive
support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the fat16
file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you will
probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second partition,(or 4
small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large partition
with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I think
BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the helpscreens,
trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers for the
link
Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig fat32
partition which will recover some space on it without losing data., so you
would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.

Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the words
arent

--

> [...]
> use
> >
> > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> > _
> > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed
the
> > tick
> > > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the
modem
> > > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
> > phone
> > > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from
> > > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I
have
> > > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me
what
> > is
> > > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

this is also an asus a6xl motherboard with a 'real fast p11 233 processor'
the kids never let me play with the fast toys, this is usually just a file
server, it has 6 160gig maxtor drives in it now, and a dvd tower, the asus
motherboards are pretty good you can hang all sorts of drives off it without
trouble (8 ide and 2 scsi chains) and there are bios updates to support
large drives without hassles, but to the point of the modem, there are
several different drivers for win 98 for different chip versions of the 56i
and other drivers for 98SE, listed at modem-drivers.com
http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/305.htm you might just have the wrong
language version for the chipset in the modem card, good luck

--
> [...]

> use
> >
> > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> > _
> > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed
the
> > tick
> > > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the
modem
> > > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
> > phone
> > > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from
> > > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I
have
> > > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me
what
> > is
> > > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

This is the URL to the old diamond drivers (this address is only available
if posted by email) I used the very top driver as it had the same ID as the
one identified in the diamond modem window in device manager

TO DOWNLOAD DIAMOND DRIVERS:

For Diamond modem and graphics cards purchased
BEFORE 9/1/2003, please use
http://www.dmmdownload.com/oldDRIVERS.php?dt=old&id=64726976657240626F622D62726F776E2E636F2E756B&nm=526F626572742042726F776E&ml=6E6F

For Diamond modem and graphics cards purchased
AFTER 9/1/2003, please use
http://www.dmmdownload.com/newarchive.php?dt=new&id=64726976657240626F622D62726F776E2E636F2E756B&nm=526F626572742042726F776E&ml=6E6F

> [...]
handset
> > > prior to trying to dial
> > >

> > > --
> > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before
> > use
> > >
> > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

You was spot on about the hard drive only only being set up for fat 16 and I
can see that 98 will seem to quite easily convert 2GB to fat 32. The only
problem I have at present is that although I could save the data, if
anything should go wrong and I have to format, then I wont be a able to
retrieve the applications such as 'office' as this belonged to somebody
else. Bob

> [...]
handset
> > > prior to trying to dial
> > >

> > > --
> > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before
> > use
> > >
> > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

Sod it!!! I have now set it off to convert to fat 32 ....guess it is the de
frag that will take the time.

> [...]
> very
> > > old (1997) and after I installed the latest drivers using its modem ID
> > > locate the correct ones, it changed the name of the modem in device
> > manager
> > > to 'SupraExpress 56i Intl' Further information which I obtained from
> > > 'Belarc' is that the motherboard is and AX6L dated 11/18/97 and
> originally
> > > designed for Windows 95. I have a feeling the dial out modem is not
> > working
> > > properly but if you have any other suggestions to determine its
> > > serviceability I will give them a go. Just another poser Belarc says I
> > have
> > > a Quantum Fireball (10.26GB) but the local drive volume is 2.15 MB. c:
> (on
> > > drive 0) I am sure I didn't partition the drive when installing

create a new drive in the wasted space and then you can use xxcopy from
www.xxcopy.com to ghost the c: drive onto the d: drive before converting the
c drive to fat32, make the new drive fat32..
If something goes wrong xxcopy includes xxcopy16 that will allow you to
ghost back the d: partition on the fat32 c: partition from a dos floppy boot
and retain LFNs (long file names) restoring your windows setup including all
the registry.
xxcopy worked better for me than the drive duplication utilities that came
with Maxtor drives
I run xxcopy c:\ d:\ /ghost at first boot and after any major installs, My
D: is the bootable partition on drive2 (of 6) so i can just cable swap if I
really mess it up...... stack of slightly used drives awaiting reformat
.......change IF to 'When I really mess up'.
Hang around your local pc shop, So many people are upgrading drives and not
keeping the old one that you might scrounge a box of 10Gig drives used but
working, or like $10.00
--

> [...]

> support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the fat16
> file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you will
> probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second partition,(or 4
> small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large partition
> with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I think
> BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the helpscreens,
> trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers for
the
> link
> Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig fat32
> partition which will recover some space on it without losing data., so you
> would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.
>
> Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the words

Many thanks . All worked well using Fdisk. I now have 2GB on the 'c' drive
and 8 GB on the 'd' drive. Bob

I have to admit, I thought twice about posting to this thread. It's been
real fun watching a back & forth between "Bob B" and "AlmostBob", <s>.

BootIt NG is available from www.bootitng.com or
www.terabyteunlimited.com (same place.) The trial is a full version that
requires a key after 30 days *if* you actually install it as a boot
manager. But you can boot to its floppy installation disk any time,
Cancel the installation, and drop into Maintenance Mode. Its Partition
Work not only converts partitions from one format to another, it can
resize, delete, create, move and Image partitions, also. And, it has the
ability to bypass the 4-Primary-Partition limit and create as many
partitions as you can possibly imagine using, if you're into
multi-booting and can't/don't want to install Virtual PC or similar.

If you find yourself using it a lot, it's really, really cheap at $35

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when you set up the drive for windows
> > If you did NOT specifically check a little check box for large
drive
> > support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the
fat16
> > file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you
will
> > probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second
partition,(or 4
> > small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large
partition
> > with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I
think
> > BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the
helpscreens,
> > trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers
for
> the
> > link
> > Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig
fat32
> > partition which will recover some space on it without losing data.,
so you
> > would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.
> >
> > Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the
words
> > arent
> >
> Many thanks . All worked well using Fdisk. I now have 2GB on the 'c'
drive
> and 8 GB on the 'd' drive. Bob

Keep watching Gary. I am sure I will need your help in the future. Bob