Modem

I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer. Also
fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial up
the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of the
regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
further suggestions. Bob
14 answers Last reply
More about modem

    2GB is the maximum for a fat16 drive, is 'large drive support' enabled in
    Fdisk, and the drive formatted fat32

    The dial tone may only require a delay in the dial string, some telcos need
    a pause before the dial tone begins. in many modems the character is either
    a comma or a hash before the number each character being a half second delay
    ,,,5555555

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer.
    Also
    > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
    > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
    > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
    > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial
    up
    > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of
    the
    > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
    > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
    > further suggestions. Bob

    Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer. Also
    > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
    > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by Diamond
    > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the thumbs
    > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial up
    > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of the
    > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc. The
    > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
    > further suggestions. Bob

    I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the tick
    from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
    claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second phone
    on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
    click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
    removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what is
    COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

    > Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2 computer.
    Also
    > > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
    > > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by
    Diamond
    > > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the
    thumbs
    > > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it dial
    up
    > > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most of
    the
    > > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc.
    The
    > > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
    > > further suggestions. Bob

    Com3 is a virtual port, its the line socket on the modem card, and some
    address space in the computer, otherwise would usurp the normal hardware
    ports 1 & 2

    Obvious question, for which I apologise, but is the line cable plugged in to
    the line jack not the handset jack on the modem card
    that would give only a click, since the modem would cut off the handset
    prior to trying to dial

    --

    > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the
    tick
    > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
    > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
    phone
    > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
    > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
    > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what
    is
    > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

    > > Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have recently formatted and reinstalled 98SE to a Pentium 2
    computer.
    > Also
    > > > fitted a 10GB hard drive although for some reason "my computer" only
    > > > recognizes 2GB. The main problem is that a '56k Data modem pnp' by
    > Diamond
    > > > Multimedia. It is recognized by the device manager and is given the
    > thumbs
    > > > up with "this device is working properly" but when trying to get it
    dial
    > up
    > > > the following message is received "No dial tone" . I have tried most
    of
    > the
    > > > regular fixes like testing the phone point... changing the leads..etc.
    > The
    > > > modem is definitely not dialing out so I am lookin for help with some
    > > > further suggestions. Bob

    Many thanks for your reply. The modern has only a line port as it is very
    old (1997) and after I installed the latest drivers using its modem ID to
    locate the correct ones, it changed the name of the modem in device manager
    to 'SupraExpress 56i Intl' Further information which I obtained from
    'Belarc' is that the motherboard is and AX6L dated 11/18/97 and originally
    designed for Windows 95. I have a feeling the dial out modem is not working
    properly but if you have any other suggestions to determine its
    serviceability I will give them a go. Just another poser Belarc says I have
    a Quantum Fireball (10.26GB) but the local drive volume is 2.15 MB. c: (on
    drive 0) I am sure I didn't partition the drive when installing windows
    98SE. Bob

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Com3 is a virtual port, its the line socket on the modem card, and some
    > address space in the computer, otherwise would usurp the normal hardware
    > ports 1 & 2
    >
    > Obvious question, for which I apologise, but is the line cable plugged in
    > the line jack not the handset jack on the modem card
    > that would give only a click, since the modem would cut off the handset
    > prior to trying to dial
    >

    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed the
    > tick
    > > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the modem
    > > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
    > phone
    > > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from a
    > > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I have
    > > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me what
    > is
    > > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob
    > >
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > Err Msg: There Is No Dialtone. Make Sure Your Modem Is...
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=140260
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > > >

    > > > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > computer.
    > > Also
    > > Diamond
    > > thumbs
    > dial
    > > up
    > of
    > > the
    > > The

    when you set up the drive for windows
    If you did NOT specifically check a little check box for large drive
    support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the fat16
    file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you will
    probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second partition,(or 4
    small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large partition
    with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I think
    BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the helpscreens,
    trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers for the
    link
    Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig fat32
    partition which will recover some space on it without losing data., so you
    would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.

    Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the words
    arent

    --

> [...]
    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed
    the
    > > tick
    > > > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the
    modem
    > > > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
    > > phone
    > > > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from
    > > > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I
    have
    > > > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me
    what
    > > is
    > > > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

    this is also an asus a6xl motherboard with a 'real fast p11 233 processor'
    the kids never let me play with the fast toys, this is usually just a file
    server, it has 6 160gig maxtor drives in it now, and a dvd tower, the asus
    motherboards are pretty good you can hang all sorts of drives off it without
    trouble (8 ide and 2 scsi chains) and there are bios updates to support
    large drives without hassles, but to the point of the modem, there are
    several different drivers for win 98 for different chip versions of the 56i
    and other drivers for 98SE, listed at modem-drivers.com
    http://www.modem-drivers.com/companies/305.htm you might just have the wrong
    language version for the chipset in the modem card, good luck

    --
> [...]

    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have tried yours and almost Bob suggestions and have also removed
    the
    > > tick
    > > > from the modem requiring the dial tone before dialing and now the
    modem
    > > > claims it is dialing although this is not true as I have used a second
    > > phone
    > > > on the line to listen in. There is no sound from the modem apart from
    > > > click as it tries to work. I have down loaded the latest drivers. I
    have
    > > > removed and refitted the modem into a new ISA slot. Can you tell me
    what
    > > is
    > > > COM 3 which is the port it is connected. Bob

    This is the URL to the old diamond drivers (this address is only available
    if posted by email) I used the very top driver as it had the same ID as the
    one identified in the diamond modem window in device manager

    TO DOWNLOAD DIAMOND DRIVERS:

    For Diamond modem and graphics cards purchased
    BEFORE 9/1/2003, please use
    http://www.dmmdownload.com/oldDRIVERS.php?dt=old&id=64726976657240626F622D62726F776E2E636F2E756B&nm=526F626572742042726F776E&ml=6E6F

    For Diamond modem and graphics cards purchased
    AFTER 9/1/2003, please use
    http://www.dmmdownload.com/newarchive.php?dt=new&id=64726976657240626F622D62726F776E2E636F2E756B&nm=526F626572742042726F776E&ml=6E6F

> [...]
    handset
    > > > prior to trying to dial
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before
    > > use
    > > >
    > > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

    You was spot on about the hard drive only only being set up for fat 16 and I
    can see that 98 will seem to quite easily convert 2GB to fat 32. The only
    problem I have at present is that although I could save the data, if
    anything should go wrong and I have to format, then I wont be a able to
    retrieve the applications such as 'office' as this belonged to somebody
    else. Bob

> [...]
    handset
    > > > prior to trying to dial
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before
    > > use
    > > >
    > > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters

    Sod it!!! I have now set it off to convert to fat 32 ....guess it is the de
    frag that will take the time.

> [...]
    > very
    > > > old (1997) and after I installed the latest drivers using its modem ID
    > > > locate the correct ones, it changed the name of the modem in device
    > > manager
    > > > to 'SupraExpress 56i Intl' Further information which I obtained from
    > > > 'Belarc' is that the motherboard is and AX6L dated 11/18/97 and
    > originally
    > > > designed for Windows 95. I have a feeling the dial out modem is not
    > > working
    > > > properly but if you have any other suggestions to determine its
    > > > serviceability I will give them a go. Just another poser Belarc says I
    > > have
    > > > a Quantum Fireball (10.26GB) but the local drive volume is 2.15 MB. c:
    > (on
    > > > drive 0) I am sure I didn't partition the drive when installing

    create a new drive in the wasted space and then you can use xxcopy from
    www.xxcopy.com to ghost the c: drive onto the d: drive before converting the
    c drive to fat32, make the new drive fat32..
    If something goes wrong xxcopy includes xxcopy16 that will allow you to
    ghost back the d: partition on the fat32 c: partition from a dos floppy boot
    and retain LFNs (long file names) restoring your windows setup including all
    the registry.
    xxcopy worked better for me than the drive duplication utilities that came
    with Maxtor drives
    I run xxcopy c:\ d:\ /ghost at first boot and after any major installs, My
    D: is the bootable partition on drive2 (of 6) so i can just cable swap if I
    really mess it up...... stack of slightly used drives awaiting reformat
    .......change IF to 'When I really mess up'.
    Hang around your local pc shop, So many people are upgrading drives and not
    keeping the old one that you might scrounge a box of 10Gig drives used but
    working, or like $10.00
    --

> [...]

    > support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the fat16
    > file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you will
    > probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second partition,(or 4
    > small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large partition
    > with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I think
    > BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the helpscreens,
    > trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers for
    the
    > link
    > Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig fat32
    > partition which will recover some space on it without losing data., so you
    > would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.
    >
    > Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the words

    Many thanks . All worked well using Fdisk. I now have 2GB on the 'c' drive
    and 8 GB on the 'd' drive. Bob

    I have to admit, I thought twice about posting to this thread. It's been
    real fun watching a back & forth between "Bob B" and "AlmostBob", <s>.

    BootIt NG is available from www.bootitng.com or
    www.terabyteunlimited.com (same place.) The trial is a full version that
    requires a key after 30 days *if* you actually install it as a boot
    manager. But you can boot to its floppy installation disk any time,
    Cancel the installation, and drop into Maintenance Mode. Its Partition
    Work not only converts partitions from one format to another, it can
    resize, delete, create, move and Image partitions, also. And, it has the
    ability to bypass the 4-Primary-Partition limit and create as many
    partitions as you can possibly imagine using, if you're into
    multi-booting and can't/don't want to install Virtual PC or similar.

    If you find yourself using it a lot, it's really, really cheap at $35

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when you set up the drive for windows
    > > If you did NOT specifically check a little check box for large
    drive
    > > support the you have a fat16 drive which is limited to 2Gig by the
    fat16
    > > file system If you run Fdisk at a DOS boot and check the box you
    will
    > > probably be able to recover the missing 8gig as a second
    partition,(or 4
    > > small fat16 volumes) but you wont be able to make it one large
    partition
    > > with windows/dos own utilitities without destroying your data. I
    think
    > > BootItNG can do that but I dunno, you would have to read the
    helpscreens,
    > > trial use download is available, scroll back thru prior mvp answers
    for
    > the
    > > link
    > > Win98 has a utility to convert your 2gig fat16 partition to a 2gig
    fat32
    > > partition which will recover some space on it without losing data.,
    so you
    > > would have 2Gig and 8Gig logical drives in one physical drive.
    > >
    > > Please ignore terminology errors, the intent is right even if the
    words
    > > arent
    > >
    > Many thanks . All worked well using Fdisk. I now have 2GB on the 'c'
    drive
    > and 8 GB on the 'd' drive. Bob

    Keep watching Gary. I am sure I will need your help in the future. Bob

Modem Computers Windows