The X2 4200+ and the 4400+

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Already being discussed Here.

That's 4 threads down the list...

Next time, look through the 1st page or use the search button before you post a new thread.

regardless of the fact that it has been discussed countless times befor, wtf has gotten into you today sidvicious. you are attacking everyone for simple mistakes or ignorance? you throwing your rattles out of your pram for a reason or just because you feel like it

I fail to see how that post could be considered an attack, I'm simply showing him the way around...

sailer

Splendid
Don't know what others may think, but I looked at the same question and bought the 4400. Sure its an extra $100, but it gives twice the cache and while that may not always be important now, it may be in the future. So its a bit of future proofing. This idea may seem dumb to some people, but I'd rather err on the side of having more than needed than on the side of having too little.

Shifty

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Well, I went ahead and got the 4400+. Heres my setup so far, parts should be coming in soon. What do you guys think? Was this a good move?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
eVGA 7900 GT
Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR @ 400 1G
Antec TruePower 2 550W
Plextor PX-750A
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250G

Shifty

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Two 512s. I can still get the x1800 though. Is it still alright if I have an Ati card in a SLI motherboard?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Like the A8N-e, nVidia chipsets are still better than ATI minus the one new exception from ASUS which is a contender. Like the ARV32-MVR or something like that.

~Ibrahim~

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Idk, but should I have waited for AM2 or Conroe?

Conroe is'nt there yet and may only be available in Dell boxes on release day, beside, new products are prone to being sold at a premium price just because they're new.

sailer

Splendid
That all depends on how much of a hurry you are in. AM2 is the future. Sure, it may not have the best scores at the moment, but in time, as the tweaking is done and developement gets going, it should get better. Since you already got the 4400, don't worry about the AM2, just use and enjoy what you got.

Conroe might also be good in the future. Don't know for sure. I've got machines with Intel chips and ones with AMD's. My experience has been that the AMD machines preformed better than expected, while the Intel ones were worse than expected. Except for heat issues on the Intels, they both ended up close to the same in performance. AMD has had a price advantage, but that seems to be changing.

Of course next year, or the year after, whenever Vista comes out, everything will change and we will have to start over.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I have it that way... i like the sli mobo for the features and the extra pci-e slot that may come in handy in the future... plus there is word that xfire may work on sli mobos and that just peaks my hacker curiosity. :twisted:

I agree w/ stranger on the cache though, I got the 4200 and while it performs great and the benches show the increase in speed gains more perf than the extra cache... BUT that may change in the future and if you have it no worries. You can still oc that 4400 and get it to 4800 specs easily. Mine went to 4600 specs w/o any voltage increase etc. (that allows cool and quiet to still work!... if I actually used it lol)

Shifty

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
I decided to get a non-SLI/Crossfire motherboard. By the way, I only ordered in the parts I was decided on. I'm thinkin about the A8N-E to tide me over untill I want SLI/CF. Will this be a good choice? I also decided going with an X1900 XT. This is a two slot card, does it need a dual card motherboard to support it? I will be ocing this processor to an 4800+. If its still worth it to wait for the new gen of CPUs, I can go with the 4000+ or so, just make the call. :/

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
that mobo is fine, you dont need anything special to run the 1900, just enough space in there to put it ;)

I would just get the proc now and not worry about what may be comming down the pipe soon. I personally am not convinced of either side's stand on how much performance increase we will see.

Shifty

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Ok thanks for the help everybody. I will go with the 4400+ and X1900 XT, I have the P180, I'm sure its got the space.