Hard drive life predictor tools.....

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 1, 2005 11:39:02 AM

Thanks for your advise. I guess it would be rather tricky for a piece of
software to predict end of hd life so I will stop worrying for the
moment. Also I am aware of people who have even older pc's than mine
and who haven't yet replaced their hd. I think I will purchase a new hd
from compaq and when things get ropey then I will replace it. To be
honest I haven't backed up everything on my pc 'cos the vast majority I
have the cds for. I gather the software I was using was considering my
hd to be a bit ancient due to it's 3 years then and basing it's
prediction on that(question mark) I am not totally knowledgeable about
back up so what is the best device to use to back up the whole system
cheaply. Clearly I would still have to clean install my windows xp
though and then give my excuss to the activation people via the
telephone like before(question mark). Thanks

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous

Its already been stated. Install another HD. Image your current HD
partition(s) and save the image file(s) to the new hard drive. Keep this up
to date. What you save is what you get when you restore the image to a
replacement hard drive..

This is not an XP discussion group. However, if you just change the HD,
there should be no problem using the current product key information to
register it XP is normally imaged while in the native XP environment.
There is no need to reinstall it. Win98 is normally imaged while in a dos
environment.

The minimum sized media appropriate for an image depends on the partition
size and the data it holds, and how compressible the data its. And, if the
device that holds the media is not a native to dos, like a USB or Firewire
connection, you may not be able to restore it. The safest bet is another
hard drive connected to the ide ribbon cable, which is connected to your PC
internally. Which, again, has already been stated.

XP requires more up to date imaging software. Older versions of DriveImage,
DI 6.0 / 2002 for instance, may indicate a successful image process for XP,
but the restoration may botch.. However, it will work fine for windows 98.

Why would one source Compaq for a hard drive?

news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1msyby@news.win98banter.com...

!