Question on Canon

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2 weeks.
I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have tried to
find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad more
expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6 tanks
with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more expensive.Wondering
if the 6000 would print better pictures?
Thanks for any advice

Jake wrote:

> I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2 weeks.
> I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have tried to
> find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad more
> expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6 tanks
> with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more expensive.Wondering
> if the 6000 would print better pictures?
> Thanks for any advice

My guess, yes. The 6000 with only 1 black would make it more of a photo
printer than a 5000, which I have, which has both blacks - the regular
photo black (BCI-6) and a larger text black BCI-3e cartridge.

I ended up with the 5000 because Costco didn't carry the 4000. I said
what the heck, it's only 40 dollars more. And I'm very pleased with it.

-Taliesyn

Jake wrote:
> I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2
> weeks. I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I
> have tried to find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The
> I5000 is a tad more expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks.
> The Canon I6000 has 6 tanks with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000
> would be the more expensive.Wondering if the 6000 would print better
> pictures?
> Thanks for any advice

my guess would be that 6000 has only small black cart...this is BCI 6. It
also has (probably) extra green and red cart (some say that when printing
photos these two are empty first, so it seems that printer uses them most).
This does make it a bit better photo printer, but you should know that
having only dye black (bci6) means less durable text printing and also that
this black will empty sooner, since it's quite smaller than bci3e black.
5000 has bci3e black for text and bci6 for photos, on the other hand. i have
4000 and even with this printer photos are quite excellent. Also 5000 has 1
pl drops, while i think that 6000 has 2 pl ones.
I wonder if it's need to throw so much extra money...i guess you should read
several reviews before you decide.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:55:56 -0500, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
wrote:

>My guess, yes. The 6000 with only 1 black would make it more of a photo
>printer than a 5000, which I have, which has both blacks - the regular
>photo black (BCI-6) and a larger text black BCI-3e cartridge.
>
>I ended up with the 5000 because Costco didn't carry the 4000. I said
>what the heck, it's only 40 dollars more. And I'm very pleased with it.
>
>-Taliesyn

Did you outgrow your 960 already?
If so, how much better if at all is the 5000?

The 6000 is slow, is poor on business documents and not quite as good as
the IP4000 and IP5000 on photos. The IP5000 is not as good on text and
marginally inferior to the IP4000 and is more expensive. The one
picoliter droplet size is not proven yet against clogs in the printhead.

The best choice is the IP4000 and is the best value unless you want to
buy the much more expensive IP8500, the flagship of the narrow carriage
models.

Jake wrote:

>I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2 weeks.
>I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have tried to
>find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad more
>expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6 tanks
>with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more expensive.Wondering
>if the 6000 would print better pictures?
>Thanks for any advice

I bought my Canon IP4000 from Costco. I have not seen it on their
website lately.

Taliesyn wrote:

> Jake wrote:
>
>> I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2
>> weeks.
>> I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have
>> tried to
>> find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad
>> more
>> expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6
>> tanks
>> with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more
>> expensive.Wondering
>> if the 6000 would print better pictures?
>> Thanks for any advice
>>

> My guess, yes. The 6000 with only 1 black would make it more of a photo
> printer than a 5000, which I have, which has both blacks - the regular
> photo black (BCI-6) and a larger text black BCI-3e cartridge.
>
> I ended up with the 5000 because Costco didn't carry the 4000. I said
> what the heck, it's only 40 dollars more. And I'm very pleased with it.
>
> -Taliesyn

Correction: The IP5000 is better on text and marginally inferior to the
IP4000 on photos. The rest of what I said is correct.

kryl wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:55:56 -0500, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>

>>My guess, yes. The 6000 with only 1 black would make it more of a photo
>>printer than a 5000, which I have, which has both blacks - the regular
>>photo black (BCI-6) and a larger text black BCI-3e cartridge.
>>
>>I ended up with the 5000 because Costco didn't carry the 4000. I said
>>what the heck, it's only 40 dollars more. And I'm very pleased with it.
>>
>>-Taliesyn
>

> Did you outgrow your 960 already?
> If so, how much better if at all is the 5000?

I never had the 960, perhaps you meant the 860. I find the 5000 vastly
superior to the 860 in both graphics and photos. Graphics are crisper
(sharper) and with brighter, better color rendition for some reason. And
my photos on both the 850 and 860 often showed very unacceptable levels
of visible print lines on photos. This fault I have not really seen on
the 5000. I now run two printers - the 860 for general purpose and the
5000 for high quality work. Everyone's happy now.

-Taliesyn

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:51:57 -0500, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
wrote:

>kryl wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:55:56 -0500, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>My guess, yes. The 6000 with only 1 black would make it more of a photo
>>>printer than a 5000, which I have, which has both blacks - the regular
>>>photo black (BCI-6) and a larger text black BCI-3e cartridge.
>>>
>>>I ended up with the 5000 because Costco didn't carry the 4000. I said
>>>what the heck, it's only 40 dollars more. And I'm very pleased with it.
>>>
>>>-Taliesyn
>>

>> Did you outgrow your 960 already?
>> If so, how much better if at all is the 5000?
>
>I never had the 960, perhaps you meant the 860. I find the 5000 vastly
>superior to the 860 in both graphics and photos. Graphics are crisper
>(sharper) and with brighter, better color rendition for some reason. And
>my photos on both the 850 and 860 often showed very unacceptable levels
>of visible print lines on photos. This fault I have not really seen on
>the 5000. I now run two printers - the 860 for general purpose and the
>5000 for high quality work. Everyone's happy now.
>
>-Taliesyn

Sounds like a good unit. I haven't seen any posts on comparing this
unitl to the 960. Anyone with experience on this???

Numbers and DPI and droplet size only go so far So it would be nice to
hear from some real-world users..

thanks everyone

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:33:23 -0600, "Jake"
<jfoster1@nospamcableone.net> wrote as underneath my scribble :

There was a very comprehensive wad of inkjet roundup/comparison/charts
inks/paper combination analysis best Iv ever seen tho it covers the
IP8500 instead of the IP6000 in your listed choices as well as all
the others.
PC Pro Magazine February 2005 issue, pcpro.co.uk its a UK mag - so
might be difficult for US and the models available here maybe have
differences eg. I believe the US version of the IP4000 has not got
CD/DVD print facility which the UK version has. But the print engines
quality costs/ ink / paper comparisons / dirty tricks etc all will
find of use if you can get hold of a copy..
Charlie+

"Jake" <jfoster1@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
>I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2
>weeks.
> I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have tried to
> find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad more
> expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6
> tanks
> with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more
> expensive.Wondering
> if the 6000 would print better pictures?
> Thanks for any advice

Unless your digital camera is not PictBridge compatible or you feel other
need for the built in card reader and LCD of the iP6000, I would say stick
with the iP5000. Both blacks will give you both sharp text and photos and
the 1 picoliter drop capability of the iP5000 makes for an excellent image
quality.

While I will not argue the value point you make about the iP4000, I
certainly question the integrity of your source on the other information.

<measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The 6000 is slow, is poor on business documents and not quite as good as
> the IP4000 and IP5000 on photos. The IP5000 is not as good on text and
> marginally inferior to the IP4000 and is more expensive. The one picoliter
> droplet size is not proven yet against clogs in the printhead.
>
> The best choice is the IP4000 and is the best value unless you want to buy
> the much more expensive IP8500, the flagship of the narrow carriage
> models.
>
> Jake wrote:
>
>>I am going to purchase a new canon printer probably within the next 2
>>weeks.
>>I can't decide between the Canon I5000 or the Canon I6000. I have tried to
>>find some reviews but an kind of lost on this one. The I5000 is a tad more
>>expensive and has 5 ink tanks, having 2 blacks. The Canon I6000 has 6
>>tanks
>>with only 1 black. Seems like the 6000 would be the more
>>expensive.Wondering
>>if the 6000 would print better pictures?
>>Thanks for any advice

All of the reviews in all of the pc magazines save the same thing
including zdnet and cnet. The only thing that is my own personal
opinion is:

"The one picoliter droplet size is not proven yet against clogs in the
print head."

And since the printer is new and it is the only one in the Canon line
with a 1p head you cannot argue with that statement. I ask why they did
not choose to put it in the IP8500, their narrow carriage flagship
model, the last to be released. Are they testing the IP5000 in the
market (real world) before they decide to use it in the remainder of
their line?

> All of the reviews in all of the pc magazines save the same thing
> including zdnet and cnet. The only thing that is my own personal opinion
> is:
>
> "The one picoliter droplet size is not proven yet against clogs in the
> print head."
>
> And since the printer is new and it is the only one in the Canon line with
> a 1p head you cannot argue with that statement. I ask why they did not
> choose to put it in the IP8500, their narrow carriage flagship model, the
> last to be released. Are they testing the IP5000 in the market (real
> world) before they decide to use it in the remainder of their line?

Well it has not been proven to be responsible for clogs either and I believe
that the amount of money pumped into R&D some time was sent ensuring it
would not result in more frequent clogs. This by the way is one area where
cheap 3rd party inks that may contain impurities may cause problems.

Different model lines, diffeent printheads. Remember these same printheads
also are backwards compatible with previous models. You can not expect an
entirely new printhead design for every model released as this would drive
cost.