Win98 Defragmenter Freezes

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 2, 2005 1:02:55 AM

I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
messages).

Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.

So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
defrag.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:02:56 AM

See the Clean Boot article in my sig.

When you run Scandisk, run a Thorough scan. Do *not* automatically
repair, but report back with what errors are found.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
> I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
> disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
> messages).
>
> Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
> also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
> the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.
>
> So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
> defrag.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:22:55 AM

I ran Scandisk recently - no errors.
It's getting to the point where I'm even reconsidering reinstalling
Norton SystemWorks (Utilities only) so I can run SpeedDisk, which has
never let me down!

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:17:28 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>See the Clean Boot article in my sig.
>
>When you run Scandisk, run a Thorough scan. Do *not* automatically
>repair, but report back with what errors are found.
April 2, 2005 1:22:56 AM

Hey, I'd forgotten about the effect Mikhail talks about. Look at Defrag
in *Detailed* view. Is it truly freezing or is the progress bar just not
moving? Win98 Defrag has a stupid built-in logic that says that the
first chores that it does, before actually starting to move files, takes
10% of the progress--which is hogwash on most modern systems. Thus, when
the preliminary chores are finished and the actual file moving starts,
it sits at 10% for a long time--until the real progress reaches
something like 15% to 18%, at which point the progress bar suddenly
catches up and starts reflecting true progress.

--

> I ran Scandisk recently - no errors.
> It's getting to the point where I'm even reconsidering reinstalling
> Norton SystemWorks (Utilities only) so I can run SpeedDisk, which has
> never let me down!
>

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:17:28 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >See the Clean Boot article in my sig.
> >
> >When you run Scandisk, run a Thorough scan. Do *not* automatically
> >repair, but report back with what errors are found.

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:26:08 AM

Gary,

Leave it all over the night -- and go to sleep.
I think, in the morning you'll see that the job is completed.

10% is the specific point, and Defrag may stay here for a few hours --
particularly when it didn't run before, or ran long time ago.

You can enable Legende and see, that even if it stays at 10% -- it works
nevertheless.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:02:55 GMT, Gary D. <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote:

>I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
>disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
>messages).
>
>Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
>also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
>the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.
>
>So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
>defrag.
>
>Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:32:40 AM

Gary D. wrote:
> I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
> disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
> messages).
>
> Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
> also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
> the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.
>
> So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
> defrag.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

I usually go to close program[ctrl/alt/del] and close all but explorer
and systray.Also you might want to use a process explorer[try this one
http://www.sysinternals.com/] and see what else may still be on after
you turn off your AVG.When I turn off AVG control center[avgcc.exe] on
one machine there is still the email[avgemc.exe] and alert
manager[avgamsvr.exe] on.This may cause the problem stated.
Also get the win ME version of defrag.It's faster and works ok with
win98 original.Rename old defrag then put Win ME defrag in same
folder,usually c:/windows
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:48:03 PM

Try VoptXP - It is just blisteringly quick! go to www.goldenbow.com and
download a free trial -I did and was so impressed that I bought the
program!

RR
"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> Gary D. wrote:
> > I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
> > disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
> > messages).
> >
> > Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
> > also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
> > the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.
> >
> > So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
> > defrag.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
> >
> I usually go to close program[ctrl/alt/del] and close all but explorer
> and systray.Also you might want to use a process explorer[try this one
> http://www.sysinternals.com/] and see what else may still be on after
> you turn off your AVG.When I turn off AVG control center[avgcc.exe] on
> one machine there is still the email[avgemc.exe] and alert
> manager[avgamsvr.exe] on.This may cause the problem stated.
> Also get the win ME version of defrag.It's faster and works ok with
> win98 original.Rename old defrag then put Win ME defrag in same
> folder,usually c:/windows

It has removed 15 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 9:41:32 PM

Gary D. wrote:
> I have Win98 (original, not SE or ME) and whenever I run the built-in
> disk defragment it gets as far as 10% and then freezes (no error
> messages).
>
> Before running it I disbale my NIC, shutdown ZoneAlarm and AVG, and
> also make sure nothing else is running in the background. I also set
> the display settings for 'Always On' and disable the screensaver.
>
> So nothing can (or at least nothing should) be conflicting with the
> defrag.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

I recently installed AVG and wound up with that same problem (but I use an
outside defrag program), plus a couple of others, all resulting in freezing.
This occurred even with AVG disabled. There is a thread on the AVG forum
where this complaint, and related ones, has been voiced and seconded. It
specifically applies to Windows 98. I switched to Avast!, another
well-regarded free AV program, and have since had no freezing problems
whatever. The following sounds like a lot of work, but really isn't, since
since both programs are commendably small, easy downloads and installs, with
very small "catch-up" downloads after initial installation: Save or
redownload your initial AVG download and uninstall the program. Install
Avast in place. If AVG is not the problem, you can reinstall it in
practically no time. Should you elect to try this, note that Avast can be a
little numbing to set up due to the default interface - suggest installing
the Mac skin and clicking the green drop-down button, then select
"settings". Good Luck.
!