Hard drive life predictor tools.....

Yes I am aware that this is not an xp discussion group. However I joined
here when my pc was running win98se and I found people here most
helpful. And one would source a HD from Compaq because that is the make
of my pc and I spoke to the Compaq UK help/sales line recently and they
still stock my HD at about £20 which I thought was reasonable. With
regards to clicking noises I noticed on upgrade to xp that I do hear
clicking noises now either from the HD or more likely the dvd rom drive
sometimes but it is less a clicking and more a light grinding sound. I
can't really describe it any better than that. Thanks to those who have
been most helpful and knowledgeable.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
1 answer Last reply

    Get a real set of disk tools and run them on that disk. Or use XP's
    CHSKDSK on all partitions with the /r switch (thorough scan.) Or, if the
    entire system is using FAT32, run scandisk from a DOS boot on all
    partitions, including a thorough scan. If they don't find any bad
    clusters, then your disk is fine and you have no idea when it might
    fail.

    What size disk is it? For that price, or just a bit more, you can get
    more modern and much larger disks. It doesn't have to be from Compaq
    disk at all. If you don't know what brand disk you have (it's not a
    Compaq, believe me--they just resell some other major brand) download
    and run Everest from www.lavalys.com

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mtvny@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > > found concerning. The pc is 3 years old and has never had disk
    > > errors
    > > ever, merely only the odd lost cluster which after upgrading to xp
    > > it
    > > tends to sort out. I ran the self test on the set up screen a
    > > couple-
    > > of-
    > > times and it gives a perfect zero which is fine.I could quite easily
    > > purchase a replacement from Compaq for about £20 but it will be so-
    > > much-
    > > hassle reinstalling all my junk not to mention having to install-
    > > windows-
    > > again etc. What do you guys think? Is it tricky to fit a new HD?-
    > > Should-
    > > I do it in advance? I have experience in fiddling around within the
    > > system unit but haven't ever had to rip out and bung in a new hd.

Hard Drives Windows XP Windows