Hard drive life predictor tools.....

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 2, 2005 12:45:39 AM

Yes I am aware that this is not an xp discussion group. However I joined
here when my pc was running win98se and I found people here most
helpful. And one would source a HD from Compaq because that is the make
of my pc and I spoke to the Compaq UK help/sales line recently and they
still stock my HD at about £20 which I thought was reasonable. With
regards to clicking noises I noticed on upgrade to xp that I do hear
clicking noises now either from the HD or more likely the dvd rom drive
sometimes but it is less a clicking and more a light grinding sound. I
can't really describe it any better than that. Thanks to those who have
been most helpful and knowledgeable.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous

Get a real set of disk tools and run them on that disk. Or use XP's
CHSKDSK on all partitions with the /r switch (thorough scan.) Or, if the
entire system is using FAT32, run scandisk from a DOS boot on all
partitions, including a thorough scan. If they don't find any bad
clusters, then your disk is fine and you have no idea when it might
fail.

What size disk is it? For that price, or just a bit more, you can get
more modern and much larger disks. It doesn't have to be from Compaq
disk at all. If you don't know what brand disk you have (it's not a
Compaq, believe me--they just resell some other major brand) download
and run Everest from www.lavalys.com

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User