I am a tech student.

currently working on undrstanding windows '98. I sometimes have problems with
the way my book is written and I believe it's somewhat misleading at times.
Recently I had a question on one of my exams that read:

Task Monitor keeps track of program launch times and number of launches to

A. be used in conjunction with Disk Defragmenter to re-organize program
files to speed launch times
B. be used by Microsoft to determine which applications you are executing
and whether you are in violation of your licenses.
C. be used in conjunction with Scandisk to ensure programs are not located
on damaged areas of the hard drive
D. As a debugging tool to be used when an application crashes .

Now I went back over the book , after answering this question wrongly, but i
never found any reference to Task Monitor, I looked it up online, Ilooked in
wikipedia, etc. So tell me is it just me or is this a misleading question?
JUst curious!

The answer is A.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197791

Look down towards the bottom for "More Information"

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"YvonneM" <YvonneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> currently working on undrstanding windows '98. I sometimes have
problems with
> the way my book is written and I believe it's somewhat misleading at
times.
> Recently I had a question on one of my exams that read:
>
> Task Monitor keeps track of program launch times and number of
launches to

> A. be used in conjunction with Disk Defragmenter to re-organize
program
> files to speed launch times
> B. be used by Microsoft to determine which applications you are
executing
> and whether you are in violation of your licenses.
> C. be used in conjunction with Scandisk to ensure programs are not
located
> on damaged areas of the hard drive
> D. As a debugging tool to be used when an application crashes .
>
> Now I went back over the book , after answering this question wrongly,
but i
> never found any reference to Task Monitor, I looked it up online,
Ilooked in
> wikipedia, etc. So tell me is it just me or is this a misleading
question?
> JUst curious!

Susan

What is the answer? I would have picked D but I don't know. I have used the
task manager to close application causing problems in Windows XP. What did
they say was the correct answer?

Just curious,
Susan

> The answer is A.
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197791
>
> Look down towards the bottom for "More Information"
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "YvonneM" <YvonneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > currently working on undrstanding windows '98. I sometimes have
> problems with
> > the way my book is written and I believe it's somewhat misleading at
> times.
> > Recently I had a question on one of my exams that read:
> >
> > Task Monitor keeps track of program launch times and number of
> launches to
> >
> > A. be used in conjunction with Disk Defragmenter to re-organize
> program
> > files to speed launch times
> > B. be used by Microsoft to determine which applications you are
> executing
> > and whether you are in violation of your licenses.
> > C. be used in conjunction with Scandisk to ensure programs are not
> located
> > on damaged areas of the hard drive
> > D. As a debugging tool to be used when an application crashes .
> >
> > Now I went back over the book , after answering this question wrongly,
> but i
> > never found any reference to Task Monitor, I looked it up online,
> Ilooked in
> > wikipedia, etc. So tell me is it just me or is this a misleading
> question?
> > JUst curious!

The answer is in the article Gary provided a link for.\
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197791

--

Brian Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> What is the answer? I would have picked D but I don't know. I have used the
> task manager to close application causing problems in Windows XP. What did
> they say was the correct answer?
>
> Just curious,
> Susan

>> The answer is A.
>>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197791
>>
>> Look down towards the bottom for "More Information"
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "YvonneM" <YvonneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > currently working on undrstanding windows '98. I sometimes have
>> problems with
>> > the way my book is written and I believe it's somewhat misleading at
>> times.
>> > Recently I had a question on one of my exams that read:
>> >
>> > Task Monitor keeps track of program launch times and number of
>> launches to
>> >
>> > A. be used in conjunction with Disk Defragmenter to re-organize
>> program
>> > files to speed launch times
>> > B. be used by Microsoft to determine which applications you are
>> executing
>> > and whether you are in violation of your licenses.
>> > C. be used in conjunction with Scandisk to ensure programs are not
>> located
>> > on damaged areas of the hard drive
>> > D. As a debugging tool to be used when an application crashes .
>> >
>> > Now I went back over the book , after answering this question wrongly,
>> but i
>> > never found any reference to Task Monitor, I looked it up online,
>> Ilooked in
>> > wikipedia, etc. So tell me is it just me or is this a misleading
>> question?
>> > JUst curious!

The application in question isn't TASKMAN (Task Manager), it's TASKMON
(Task Monitor.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

> Brian Sesko
> <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

That's *much* better. Welcome to the club, Doood!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

I had to cause I felt my 2nd mother breathin down my neck. I'm runnin out for a
while and plan to shoot you a quick Q when I return.

--

Brian A. Sesko

> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>
>> Brian Sesko
>> <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> That's *much* better. Welcome to the club, Doood!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

I'll be waiting. *Any* excuse to take a break from graphic design will
be welcomed!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User