XP and Win98 will not "see" each other over local network?

I've got a WinXP PC, WinXP notebook and Win98 PC. The XPs will see each
other but none can see the 98 PC nor can the 98 PC see them. The 98 PC can
access the internet thru the ADSL router, and so too can the XP PCs.

I can ping the 98 PC from the XP PCs and the 98 PC can ping the XPs (I'm
pinging by the PC names not the IP addresses!). All firewalls have been
disabled and the 98 PC is a new installation.

What is going on?

Regards

Julian

"Julian Milano" <jdmils@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've got a WinXP PC, WinXP notebook and Win98 PC. The XPs will see each
> other but none can see the 98 PC nor can the 98 PC see them. The 98 PC can
> access the internet thru the ADSL router, and so too can the XP PCs.

Are the XP machines' drives formatted NTFS? Win98
cannot read such drives.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Make sure that you have them all on the same named network and subnet. It may be
that the subnet has changed on the 98 machine, should look like: 255.255.255.0
but may look like 255.0.0.0

In 98 click Start > Run, type in: winipcfg and press Enter. If anything is not
right, Release all/ Renew all should set it straight.

If no go, have a peek-see in the routers configuration > DHCP table to see if
somehow it failed to re-address the 98 IP properly. Sounds strange as a fault
but I had it happen once.

Since this is a General 98 ng and you can get possible answers, even wrong ones,
Network questions are best asked/answered in the appropriate ng:
microsoft.public.win98.networking

or even an XP ng.

--

Brian Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "Julian Milano" <jdmils@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I've got a WinXP PC, WinXP notebook and Win98 PC. The XPs will see each
>> other but none can see the 98 PC nor can the 98 PC see them. The 98 PC can
>> access the internet thru the ADSL router, and so too can the XP PCs.
>
> Are the XP machines' drives formatted NTFS? Win98
> cannot read such drives.

Not true in a networked enviroment, each machine won't give a hoot on on the
OS's file system.