MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi guys.
Could ya help me decide on how I should upgrade my PC? I've made some decent choices myself but I want to make sure its under $1000 (sorry about that dollar sign I meant to write 1000 pounds but my locales messed up and cant be repaired)

I've made the following choices below: (These are all from Ebuyer)

AMD Athlon 64 (ADA4800CDBOX) X2 4800+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.4ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache £443.77

ASRock (939DUAL-SATA2) ALi 1695 Chipset PCI Express 8 Channel sound LAN ATX £42.34

Corsair 2GB DDR400 XMS3200 Platinum Kit. Match Memory Pair With Silver Heat Spreader £135.00

Gainward BLISS 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 dual DVI TV-Out PCI-E £239.98

OCZ ModStream 520W Modular PSU £58.98

Which totals up to £920.07 but I want to know whether I can go with a lower spec CPU that can be OC'd to the same spec as the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+.

Any advice would help. thanx 8) :roll:

P.S can I ask people to check out my forum? The link is: www.megamanextreme2005.forumup.com

Do tell me what u think, and why not post on there sometime.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
If I were you, i'd get an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium mobo, instead of that ASRock (pure s**t)
If that exceeds 1000 pounds, get and X2 4400+ (also 1 MB cache) and you'll be fine

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If I were you, i'd get an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium mobo, instead of that ASRock (pure s**t)
If that exceeds 1000 pounds, get and X2 4400+ (also 1 MB cache) and you'll be fine

ASRock (which in fact is OWNED by Asus) is not pure crap. I happen to own that board as I didnt want to replace my AGP video card after my Asus A8V board failed from power blowout, and it works just fine. It actually a decent board for overclocking and the AGP and PCI-E option is just cool.

Before you go spouting off about such things maybe you should take time to research. The A8N-SLI boards are riddled with problems ever since they have been released. The Premium board seems to be immune from the problems, but the A8N-SLI and Deluxe boards are nightmares.
</rant>

Megaman:

Nice chocies, however I would switch out the 4800+ for an Opteron 170 and overclock it. The Opteron 170 being a server grade chip runs cooler than an A64 model. The quality control on the Opteron is also higher. The choice is yours though. If you want to really max your overclock consider the $122 USD DFI Lanparty Ultra D board. Its a great board, and one of the best overclocking boards there is.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006

ASRock (which in fact is OWNED by Asus) is not pure crap. I happen to own that board as I didnt want to replace my AGP video card after my Asus A8V board failed from power blowout, and it works just fine. It actually a decent board for overclocking and the AGP and PCI-E option is just cool.

Before you go spouting off about such things maybe you should take time to research. The A8N-SLI boards are riddled with problems ever since they have been released. The Premium board seems to be immune from the problems, but the A8N-SLI and Deluxe boards are nightmares.
</rant>

Megaman:

Nice chocies, however I would switch out the 4800+ for an Opteron 170 and overclock it. The Opteron 170 being a server grade chip runs cooler than an A64 model. The quality control on the Opteron is also higher. The choice is yours though. If you want to really max your overclock consider the $122 USD DFI Lanparty Ultra D board. Its a great board, and one of the best overclocking boards there is.

Do what this man says... But to stay in your budget you could also go opty 165 and that motherboard he said. Optay 165 can get to 4800 speeds pretty easy.

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Yeah, you could pair a X2 4800+ with an ASRock mobo... Like using an 14" monitor with an X1900XTX... :eek:
Maybe the ASRock mobos are good, but not good enough for that kind of high-end CPUs...
It happens to be that I own an ASUS A8N-SLI, and it's the best mobo I've ever had, by far
Maybe you didn't read the several reviews of that ASUS mobos, but they've got some pretty good reviews, doesn't seem possible that so many people could be wrong 8O
What I meant is that isn't a good idea to buy an X2 4800+ with an ASRock (even considering the fact that is owned by ASUS). It is a good idea to get an Opteron instead :wink:

MegaManExtreme2005

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
so shadowduck is it even possible to use an opteron 170 with a skt 939 skt as opterons are usually 940. I'd be quite suprised if an Opteron on the ASrock board. Do u seriously think that would work? 8)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
hmm..replacing the Athlon 64 4800+ with Althon 64 4400+ doesn't seem like a bad idea. Can the 4400+ overclock to 4800+ speeds?

If you want to overclock get the 165/170 like I said which will easily overclock to FX-60 speeds.

pat

Expert
so shadowduck is it even possible to use an opteron 170 with a skt 939 skt as opterons are usually 940. I'd be quite suprised if an Opteron on the ASrock board. Do u seriously think that would work? 8)

I've seen opteron on Asrock breaking the 300HTT with stock cooling.. Google!

pat

Expert
Yeah, you could pair a X2 4800+ with an ASRock mobo... Like using an 14" monitor with an X1900XTX... :eek:
Maybe the ASRock mobos are good, but not good enough for that kind of high-end CPUs...
It happens to be that I own an ASUS A8N-SLI, and it's the best mobo I've ever had, by far
Maybe you didn't read the several reviews of that ASUS mobos, but they've got some pretty good reviews, doesn't seem possible that so many people could be wrong 8O
What I meant is that isn't a good idea to buy an X2 4800+ with an ASRock (even considering the fact that is owned by ASUS). It is a good idea to get an Opteron instead :wink:

I've choosen the Asrock over any nforce 4 motherboard because I was tired of chipset fan noise and lack of reliability.. The only nforce4 that I would gladly buy again is the Gigabyte k8nf-9. Passive chipset cooling ...