Hard drive life predictor tools.....

I have used the scan disk feature already. It took me a little while to
find it on xp but it doesn't report bad clusters. Only problems that
are found tend to be lost clusters/invalid space reports that xp then
fixes and apparently turns back into files again. I have actually just
installed Everest so it would be easy peasy to find out what HD I have
so I will have a look tonight when I turn my desktop on again. I use
the FAT 32 system so that would mean I can't have anything bigger than
32g? Or am I being dim again? ;) The hard drive is only 13.5gb
currently so I would presume there will be limitations somewhere as to
the size my pc/motherboard can support? With regards to finding a
replacement I gather I need to get the same make of HD but perhaps with
a larger size? If so how do I find out what my pc will support. I'm not
greedy so I even 20gb would be fine for me :)

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

PSYCHOPIXIE wrote:
> I have used the scan disk feature already. It took me a little while to
> find it on xp but it doesn't report bad clusters.

Well, that is encouraging news!

> Only problems that
> are found tend to be lost clusters/invalid space reports that xp then
> fixes and apparently turns back into files again. I have actually just
> installed Everest so it would be easy peasy to find out what HD I have
> so I will have a look tonight when I turn my desktop on again. I use
> the FAT 32 system so that would mean I can't have anything bigger than
> 32g?

You can have more than that, but you have to partition it. (As I recall,
the maximum is 32 GB for a single partition, using FAT32). So you could
have a 40 GB drive, partioned into two 20 GB partitions or volumes (C: and
D:) (as just one example).

And the other limit you have to worry about is 137 GB maximum for the hard
drive.