Sli on a crossfire motherboard?

NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I was just wondering if it is possible to put two Nvidia cards in Sli mode on a crossfire motherboard? (i.e. bios maybe?) or is Nvidia only copatiable with Nvidia and Ati with Ati?

The reason i am asking this is because i'm still deciding between Sli or Crossfire and if i could get a motherboard that supports both that would be great :lol:

NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
kool and thanx for the help, oh and is the update for any motherboard? cause i'm looking into the DFI crossfire edition mobo.

As for a spare SLi bridge where could i get one that's flexible cause of spacing issues or is that a bad idea?

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I'm wondering if you put one nvidia and one ati card on a sli or a X-fire mobo, will it work, obviousley you will need a modified patch or something :twisted:

thomye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
sorry to beat a dead horse but can i ask the question the other way. Can you use X-fire on a SLI motherboard? I know you're wondering why i would want to do this.

I bought an x1900xtx for my current pc. If i had known then what i know now, i would have gotten the 7800. At any rate, now i have an oportunity to buy a Dell XPS gen 6 new at more than 50% off and according to their website it supports SLI and doesn't mention X-fire.

I want to leverage what i already have and then buy an additional X-fire edition card to use with it.

Bottom line question: Can the dell xps gen 6 run X-fire?

___
Dell XPS Gen 4
Intel 3.6 Ghz
Raptor Raid 0
4GB RAM
X1900XTX Crossfire ready

thomye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
sorry to beat a dead horse but can i ask the question the other way. Can you use X-fire on a SLI motherboard? I know you're wondering why i would want to do this.

I bought an x1900xtx for my current pc. If i had known then what i know now, i would have gotten the 7800. At any rate, now i have an oportunity to buy a Dell XPS gen 5 new at more than 50% off and according to their website it supports SLI and doesn't mention X-fire.

I want to leverage what i already have and then buy an additional X-fire edition card to use with it.

___
Dell XPS Gen 4
Intel 3.6 Ghz
Raptor Raid 0
4GB RAM
X1900XTX Crossfire ready

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I bought an x1900xtx for my current pc. If i had known then what i know now, i would have gotten the 7800.

I'm curious: what is it that you know now that would make a 7800 at all better then the xtx? Just wondering if it was solely the sli-thing or if there was something else...

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well, he said the 7800 was better and I was wondering why... 'cause I just dont see the logic there.

the 7900 is a competitor but like you said, w/o cooling issues the 1900 wins.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

I bought an x1900xtx for my current pc. If i had known then what i know now, i would have gotten the 7800. At any rate, now i have an oportunity to buy a Dell XPS gen 5 new at more than 50% off and according to their website it supports SLI and doesn't mention X-fire.

50% off? Hmmm Stolen? Pawn Shop? You work for Dell? 8O

G

Look dude if u get a mobo with an Nvidia chipset then u shood use Nvidia, if ur lucky u can use crossfie but u wont get best performance, personely i would go with radeon, i have an AMD Phenom 9850 BE (i halso have a strict **** INTEL policy) but if u have amd then its best to go wid ATI. i have a pair of 3870x2's on crossfireif u have a gay fukin intel you should get nvidia, because they are funded by intel makin them better 4 intels.

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
AMD do make decent little CPUs but put that vs a q6600 I think everyone knows were I m going here the Phenom 2 might change a few things however, since I haven't decided on my next computers CPU yet it could be that and the HD5800.

but yeah I agree with you want Nvidias SLI just get a SLI chipset or a X58 mobo saves messing around, I know Nvidias chipsets are not the best but oh well. If you want xfire than go for a crossfire enabled mobo.