NDIS error on <900mhz machine? HELP!

Help! I was installing a new mouse on my parents computer 900mhz AMD, old
ps/2 mouse for a new Labtech Optical USB mouse. Everyting went fine until I
rebooted and then I got the error message 'Windows Protection Error'. I then
rebooted and I got the next error 'While initializing device NDIS: Windows
Protection Error'. I was able to boot into safe mode and do some searching
about. I find a fix for a faster computers but nothing for me. Sometimes if
I do a logged boot I can start windows normally. (like now) The boot log
states that the ndis2sup.vxd failed to load. A couple of times when I've
rebooted I get the following error 'While initializing device IOS, an I/O
subsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory'. Everything
was working fine on the computer until then, if anyone can help me with this
I would be most thankful.

Good Luck,

Does removing the new mouse resolve the problem? If not I'd be looking at
other hardware problems, most likely either bad memory modules (RAM), a
failing power supply, or faulty cooling fans inside the unit.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"WinterRaven" <WinterRaven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help! I was installing a new mouse on my parents computer 900mhz AMD, old
> ps/2 mouse for a new Labtech Optical USB mouse. Everyting went fine until
> rebooted and then I got the error message 'Windows Protection Error'. I
> then
> rebooted and I got the next error 'While initializing device NDIS: Windows
> Protection Error'. I was able to boot into safe mode and do some
> searching
> about. I find a fix for a faster computers but nothing for me. Sometimes
> if
> I do a logged boot I can start windows normally. (like now) The boot log
> states that the ndis2sup.vxd failed to load. A couple of times when I've
> rebooted I get the following error 'While initializing device IOS, an I/O
> subsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory'.
> Everything
> was working fine on the computer until then, if anyone can help me with
> this
> I would be most thankful.
>
> Good Luck,

Why would I be getting the NDIS come up? (but not all the time). Doesn't it
look like there is some sort of conflict somewhere? I've removed the USB
mouse and there doesn't seem to be a change. Power supply and fans check out
fine. Could Ram fail just from an install? I wish there was a diagnostic
that came with windows to help solve these issues. I just want to leave this
weekend with my parents computer in a usable state. Should I just reinstall
Win98 and if so what is the best way? (without losing bookmarks, email etc.)

Thanks

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Does removing the new mouse resolve the problem? If not I'd be looking at
> other hardware problems, most likely either bad memory modules (RAM), a
> failing power supply, or faulty cooling fans inside the unit.

> * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
> * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>

> "WinterRaven" <WinterRaven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help! I was installing a new mouse on my parents computer 900mhz AMD, old
> > ps/2 mouse for a new Labtech Optical USB mouse. Everyting went fine until
> > rebooted and then I got the error message 'Windows Protection Error'. I
> > then
> > rebooted and I got the next error 'While initializing device NDIS: Windows
> > Protection Error'. I was able to boot into safe mode and do some
> > searching
> > about. I find a fix for a faster computers but nothing for me. Sometimes
> > if
> > I do a logged boot I can start windows normally. (like now) The boot log
> > states that the ndis2sup.vxd failed to load. A couple of times when I've
> > rebooted I get the following error 'While initializing device IOS, an I/O
> > subsys subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low on memory'.
> > Everything
> > was working fine on the computer until then, if anyone can help me with
> > this
> > I would be most thankful.
> >
> > Good Luck,

Anything can fail at any time. Coincidences do happen. If it's a hardware
problem reinstalling Windows will likely fix nothing and probably leave you
in a worse mess if the system crashes during the process.