Cingular on Long Island

Last response: in Network Providers
September 26, 2004 10:12:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cell-phone,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Hello All,

Its been a while since I've used a newsgroup so please forgive me in advance
for any brain dead ill considerations.

My question today concerns picture phones with the cingular service. I was
about to buy one and realized that the company has 2 at what looks to be a
great deal. The LG 1400 for 29.95 and the Motorola V400 for 59.95.
Unfortunately they want me to piggy back with them for 2 years...I'd rather
1.

I was wondering if anybody could give some advice as to their call and
picture quality on Long Island. Preferrably the real deal and not the hyped.

And since we are on the subject of Long Island, is it true that Cingular is
using all of T Mobile's network here. If so, when this deal with AT&T goes
through, will they drop their network in place of AT&T's or use both.

Anyway, I have always been awed at the fact that I can go to a place like
this and find good people who are willing to give of their precious time and
knowledge for a complete stranger such as myself. As Always, I appreciate
any help someone can give...I need to get the wife off my back. She wants
one yesterday.

AirHead Johnny

More about : cingular long island

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 11:40:39 PM

<usparatroop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Its been a while since I've used a newsgroup so please forgive me in
advance
> for any brain dead ill considerations.
>
> My question today concerns picture phones with the cingular service. I was
> about to buy one and realized that the company has 2 at what looks to be a
> great deal. The LG 1400 for 29.95 and the Motorola V400 for 59.95.
> Unfortunately they want me to piggy back with them for 2 years...I'd
rather
> 1.
>
> I was wondering if anybody could give some advice as to their call and
> picture quality on Long Island. Preferrably the real deal and not the
hyped.

> And since we are on the subject of Long Island, is it true that Cingular
is
> using all of T Mobile's network here. If so, when this deal with AT&T goes
> through, will they drop their network in place of AT&T's or use both.
>
> Anyway, I have always been awed at the fact that I can go to a place like
> this and find good people who are willing to give of their precious time
and
> knowledge for a complete stranger such as myself. As Always, I appreciate
> any help someone can give...I need to get the wife off my back. She wants
> one yesterday.
>
> AirHead Johnny

Call up Cingular and ask if they will activate a GSM phone that you own
WITHOUT a 2 year contract. IF SO, go buy a LG 1400 off of ebay. You'll pay
a lot more for the phone (probably) but you won't be locked into a 2 year
contract with it. -Dave
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 12:08:00 AM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> <usparatroop@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Its been a while since I've used a newsgroup so please forgive me in
> advance
> > for any brain dead ill considerations.
> >
> > My question today concerns picture phones with the cingular service. I
was
> > about to buy one and realized that the company has 2 at what looks to be
> > great deal. The LG 1400 for 29.95 and the Motorola V400 for 59.95.
> > Unfortunately they want me to piggy back with them for 2 years...I'd
> rather
> > 1.
> >
> > I was wondering if anybody could give some advice as to their call and
> > picture quality on Long Island. Preferrably the real deal and not the
> hyped.
> >
> > And since we are on the subject of Long Island, is it true that Cingular
> is
> > using all of T Mobile's network here. If so, when this deal with AT&T
goes
> > through, will they drop their network in place of AT&T's or use both.
> >
> > Anyway, I have always been awed at the fact that I can go to a place
like
> > this and find good people who are willing to give of their precious time
> and
> > knowledge for a complete stranger such as myself. As Always, I
appreciate
> > any help someone can give...I need to get the wife off my back. She
wants
> > one yesterday.
> >
> > AirHead Johnny
> >

> Call up Cingular and ask if they will activate a GSM phone that you own
> WITHOUT a 2 year contract. IF SO, go buy a LG 1400 off of ebay. You'll
pay
> a lot more for the phone (probably) but you won't be locked into a 2 year
> contract with it. -Dave

Thanks for the tip.

Would you happen to know how the LG 1400 fares against the Motorola V400.
I've read good stuff about the Motorola and the LG1300 but have not seen any
reviews on the 1400.

As Always, Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

AirHead Johnny
September 27, 2004 10:48:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cell-phone,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Would you happen to know how the LG 1400 fares against the Motorola V400.
> I've read good stuff about the Motorola and the LG1300 but have not seen
any
> reviews on the 1400.
>
> As Always, Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
>
> AirHead Johnny

Anything's gotta be better than a V400. I've read so many horror stories
about the V400/V600. The two are identical as far as hardware and firmware
goes. The V600 was recalled for severe reception quality issues. Cingular
no longer even offers it. -Dave
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:49:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cell-phone,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Actually the horror stories are on the v600 only, the v400 seems stable.
Since the v600 incorporates integrated bluetooth the hardware and firmware
are not "identical" to the v400. Perhaps the problem with the v600 relates
to the way the firmware was modified to integrate with the hardware, who
knows.

>> Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> Would you happen to know how the LG 1400 fares against the Motorola V400.
>> I've read good stuff about the Motorola and the LG1300 but have not seen
> any
>> reviews on the 1400.
>>
>> As Always, Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
>>
>> AirHead Johnny
>>

> Anything's gotta be better than a V400. I've read so many horror stories
> about the V400/V600. The two are identical as far as hardware and
> firmware
> goes. The V600 was recalled for severe reception quality issues.
> Cingular
> no longer even offers it. -Dave

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cell-phone,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Would you happen to know how the LG 1400 fares against the Motorola V400.
> I've read good stuff about the Motorola and the LG1300 but have not seen
any
> reviews on the 1400.
>
> As Always, Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
>
> AirHead Johnny

Anything's gotta be better than a V400. I've read so many horror stories
about the V400/V600. The two are identical as far as hardware and firmware
goes. The V600 was recalled for severe reception quality issues. Cingular
no longer even offers it. -Dave

No problems with the V400, you've got it confuzzed with the V600. I don't
remember seeing a bad post about the V400 anywhere.

bamp
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:09:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cell-phone,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <n9H5d.3657$Ae.2062@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net> on Sun, 26 Sep 2004
18:12:42 -0400, <usparatroop@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My question today concerns picture phones with the cingular service. I was
>about to buy one and realized that the company has 2 at what looks to be a
>great deal. The LG 1400 for 29.95 and the Motorola V400 for 59.95.
>Unfortunately they want me to piggy back with them for 2 years...I'd rather
>1.

You can do 1 if you're willing to pay $50 more for the phone.

>I was wondering if anybody could give some advice as to their call and
>picture quality on Long Island. Preferrably the real deal and not the hyped.

That's a pretty big area, so it would be difficult to generalize.