4gig 2 different lat. on memory !

I got one for you. I recently upgraded from 2 to 4 gig of memory. After fnutzin around over a couple of days, I got the machine to fully recognize it at the desktop. Bios saw it and says 4 avail also. I opened cpu-z... it sees all four sticks, no problem. But, cpu-z sees 2 sticks at 2 cas lat., and sees the other two at 2.5......... huh?

Machine rips like a mofo, and have absolutely no problems running anything, but whats the deal with the latensy ?

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I got one for you. I recently upgraded from 2 to 4 gig of memory. After fnutzin around over a couple of days, I got the machine to fully recognize it at the desktop. Bios saw it and says 4 avail also. I opened cpu-z... it sees all four sticks, no problem. But, cpu-z sees 2 sticks at 2 cas lat., and sees the other two at 2.5......... huh?

Machine rips like a mofo, and have absolutely no problems running anything, but whats the deal with the latensy ?

That sounds like a bios or mobo oddity. I don't see how that is even possible...but maybe I'm an idiot.

You may want to list your system specs, bios revision, etc... Maybe there's an issue with reporting 4 512MB sticks.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Thats interesting.....
Did you look at the Memory tab?.....This is your actually working frequency and latency!
Or did you look at the SPD tab?....This is what it is rated at!

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hate to hijack this thread, but it is related to what the SPD tab is supposed to show.

My memory is rated at 2-3-3-6, but cpu-z says 3-3-3-8 in the SPD, so something's not quite right with CPU-Z's reporting.

Hmm. I have Corsair XMS TwinX2048-3200c2pt, which is supposed to be rated at 2-3-3-6.

CPU-Z reports everything else correct.

Unfortunately, I'm not in front of that computer right now. But, they are 4 1gig sticks. cpu-z will see 2 at 2-3-2-5, and the other 2 at 2.5-something, something, something. Can't remember.

Don't remember what "tab" I opened. Don't remember what it was in bios, but am sure it was 2cas lat. for some reason. Probably because I lived there for a while.......lol.

It's ocz platinum by the way.