Hard drive life predictor tools.....

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 2, 2005 11:08:19 PM

Ok well I have just had a nosey at my system info via Everest and I have
printed out a rather large report too. But I'm a bit confused because
Everest reports My harddrive as being 20 gb in size however when I
right click the HD icon within my computer it shows its full capacity
at 13.9gb and then shows me what I have used and what is free which
does add up to that. Any idea why that is? Anyway the info on my HD is
as follows,' ST320011A (20GB 7200 RPM, ULTRA-ATA/100). When I click on
it is suggests the manufacturer is Seagate and wants to connect me to
the site.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous

You can't see, in Windows 98, what the whole drive looks like, only the
partitions that are FAT formatted (FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32.) But you *can*
see the whole drive in Windows XP. In Control Panel>Administrative
Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.

My guess is that Compaq put a hidden partition in there to store a full
backup of the original installation, plus some utilities. In older
Compaqs, they also did weird things, using part of the hard drive to
store things that are usually part of BIOS.

Also, you need to remember that hard drive manufacturer's determine size
based upon the decimal system, so that 20 GB is 20,000 MB, is 20,000,000
KB, is 20,000,000,000 bytes. Whereas in software calculations, a KB is
1024 bytes, a MB is 1024 KB, and a GB is 1024 MB. A 20 GB drive is seen
as holding 18.626 GB by any software calculation. Also, 20 GB figure is
usually rounded up from something like 19.8, and the drive also has
several sectors reserved for low-level information and spare clusters
that get brought into action if any of the useable clusters goes bad--if
CHKDSK in Windows XP starts telling you that you have bad clusters,
that's *after* it's used all the reserve clusters, which means that when
it says there are one or two bad clusters, there are really several
dozen that have gone bad. In short, there might only be 18.5 GB or less
of usable disk space as far as Windows is concerned.

I got a 130 GB drive from Dell not too long ago, as warranty replacement
for a 110 GB drive that went bad. They sent it pre-installed with the
original XP and apps, on a ~27 GB partition. The rest of the drive
wasn't partitioned at all. I fixed that, <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mvqby@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1mvqby@news.win98banter.com...

> [...]
> > found concerning. The pc is 3 years old and has never had disk
> > errors
> > ever, merely only the odd lost cluster which after upgrading to xp
> > it
> > tends to sort out. I ran the self test on the set up screen a
> > couple-
> > of-
> > times and it gives a perfect zero which is fine.I could quite easily
> > purchase a replacement from Compaq for about £20 but it will be so-
> > much-
> > hassle reinstalling all my junk not to mention having to install-
> > windows-
> > again etc. What do you guys think? Is it tricky to fit a new HD?-
> > Should-
> > I do it in advance? I have experience in fiddling around within the
> > system unit but haven't ever had to rip out and bung in a new hd.

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:39:47 AM

Gary answered your questions, but on the topic of "hd health",
while in Everest look under > Storage > Smart for a clue to
general health of the HD as reported by SMART. (if available)

You can dig through this site to find out how to interpret the
output
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
(also an excellent command line utility for reading SMART data)

!