Start-up error message

Robert

I recently started seeing the following error message at start-up (sorry if
this is too much detail, but I wasn't sure what to leave out) :

************
American Megatrends
AMI Bios (c) 1996 American Mega Trends Inc.,
KR632 Pentium II AGP / PCI System BIOS: Rev : AO3 1/16/98
Pentium II - 300 mhz

checking NVRAM.....196608 kb OK

Wait.......
Auto - Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disk
Auto- Detecting SEC Master.......ATAPI CDROM

PRI Master: NAVX 171F MAxtor 88400 D8
Ultra DMA Mode - 2 S.M.A.R.T. Capable and BAD

Sec Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Back-up and replace....

Press F1 to Resume

********

I hit F1 and Windows 98se loads and runs. I see this every time I boot up
and every time I hit F1 the computer boots up. Can anyone tell me what all
of this means?

Thanks

It means your second hard drive, the one attached to the Secondary
Channel as Master, has indications that it is going bad. It suggest you
back up the data on it and replace the drive. Myself, I would disconnect
it until you get a replacement drive, and then first thing copy the data
to the new drive. Or, if you have sufficient room on the Primary Master
drive, then copy your data to that. Whatever you do, do not use that
drive until you are ready to copy your data off of it.

If you can get the data off now, do it. Then run more thorough tests on
the drive using the tools suggested by the drive manufacturer, and check
to see if it's still under warranty.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

****

****
> ********
>
> I hit F1 and Windows 98se loads and runs. I see this every time I boot
up
> and every time I hit F1 the computer boots up. Can anyone tell me what
all
> of this means?
>
> Thanks

Robert

Gary,
This machine was given to us as the owner was getting ready to through it
out. I'm going to have to open the box up and take a closer look inside. I
didn't know it had two hard drives.

Thanks.