Shutting off Chkdsk

Can anyone point me in the right direction for shutting off automatic Chkdsk
operation?
I am currently running Diskkeeper, and have no need for the extra check.

Thanks in advance,

--------
Dave

Assuming you're in the right newsgroup, what you have is Scandisk, not
CHKDSK. You can disable automatic scandisk after a "dirty" shutdown by
running MSCONFIG from the Run box, clicking on Advanced button at lower
right, and checking or unchecking the obvious item.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for shutting off automatic
Chkdsk
> operation?
> I am currently running Diskkeeper, and have no need for the extra
check.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> --------
> Dave

Thanks Gary.

Yes, I guess my "OldTimers" is showing!
Now going to uncheck...

Dave

> Assuming you're in the right newsgroup, what you have is Scandisk, not
> CHKDSK. You can disable automatic scandisk after a "dirty" shutdown by
> running MSCONFIG from the Run box, clicking on Advanced button at lower
> right, and checking or unchecking the obvious item.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction for shutting off automatic
> Chkdsk
> > operation?
> > I am currently running Diskkeeper, and have no need for the extra
> check.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > --------
> > Dave

Hello again,

I checked MSCONFIG and couldn't find it.

After rethinking, I checked the Task Scheduler, and that's where it was
hiding!

Dave

> Assuming you're in the right newsgroup, what you have is Scandisk, not
> CHKDSK. You can disable automatic scandisk after a "dirty" shutdown by
> running MSCONFIG from the Run box, clicking on Advanced button at lower
> right, and checking or unchecking the obvious item.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction for shutting off automatic
> Chkdsk
> > operation?
> > I am currently running Diskkeeper, and have no need for the extra
> check.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > --------
> > Dave

There is an option in MSCONFIG Advanced (you clicked on the Advanced
button?) that is labeled "Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown." That's
what I thought you had going on. Of course, I should also have mentioned
that Scandisk running at every startup is not normal and while it may be
a simple issue, if errors are being found every time, it may be
something a lot more serious.

None of the above, of course, means anything if you've got it as a
Scheduled Task. Not sure I've ever seen Scandisk run at every startup as
a Scheduled Task. That's going *way* overboard!

--

> Hello again,
>
> I checked MSCONFIG and couldn't find it.
>
> After rethinking, I checked the Task Scheduler, and that's where it
was
> hiding!
>
> Dave

> > Assuming you're in the right newsgroup, what you have is Scandisk,
not
> > CHKDSK. You can disable automatic scandisk after a "dirty" shutdown
by
> > running MSCONFIG from the Run box, clicking on Advanced button at
lower
> > right, and checking or unchecking the obvious item.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction for shutting off
automatic
> > Chkdsk
> > > operation?
> > > I am currently running Diskkeeper, and have no need for the extra
> > check.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > --------
> > > Dave

Hi Gary,

Yes, I did see the option in MSCONFIG, however, since this was not related
to a bad shutdown, I decided to look elsewhere. I had Scandisk set to run
every day at 3:00 A.M. as I *usually* am not up at that hour!
Diskkeeper works so well, and is so unobtrusive, that I was almost tempted
to remove Scandisk.exe!

Thanks again, and sorry if I caused you any confusion.

Dave

> There is an option in MSCONFIG Advanced (you clicked on the Advanced
> button?) that is labeled "Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown." That's
> what I thought you had going on. Of course, I should also have mentioned
> that Scandisk running at every startup is not normal and while it may be
> a simple issue, if errors are being found every time, it may be
> something a lot more serious.
>
> None of the above, of course, means anything if you've got it as a
> Scheduled Task. Not sure I've ever seen Scandisk run at every startup as
> a Scheduled Task. That's going *way* overboard!
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> > Hello again,
> >
> > I checked MSCONFIG and couldn't find it.
> >
> > After rethinking, I checked the Task Scheduler, and that's where it
> was
> > hiding!
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Assuming you're in the right newsgroup, what you have is Scandisk,
> not
> > > CHKDSK. You can disable automatic scandisk after a "dirty" shutdown
> by
> > > running MSCONFIG from the Run box, clicking on Advanced button at
> lower
> > > right, and checking or unchecking the obvious item.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> automatic
> > > Chkdsk
> > > check.

I recommend you don't run any such thing, whether Scandisk or some
replacement, as a scheduled task. Doing so implies that you also have
the app automatically fix any errors it finds, and that can easily
result in disaster. While certain types of errors are common enough
(incorrect free space calculation, for example,) fixing more serious
errors *may* result in a cascade of "fixing" that results in an entirely
trashed disk. Neither Scandisk or any replacement is necessarily right
about the nature of the errors it encounters, nor are the "fixes"
necessarily the appropriate action to take. Honestly, even Scandisk
doesn't take much time to perform. Always better to simply sit there for
the few minutes it takes, only doing a Thorough or Surface scan if other
indicators suggest it's necessary.

--

> Hi Gary,
>
> Yes, I did see the option in MSCONFIG, however, since this was not
related
> to a bad shutdown, I decided to look elsewhere. I had Scandisk set to
run
> every day at 3:00 A.M. as I *usually* am not up at that hour!
> Diskkeeper works so well, and is so unobtrusive, that I was almost
tempted
> to remove Scandisk.exe!
>
> Thanks again, and sorry if I caused you any confusion.
>
> Dave

> > There is an option in MSCONFIG Advanced (you clicked on the Advanced
> > button?) that is labeled "Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown."
That's
> > what I thought you had going on. Of course, I should also have
mentioned
> > that Scandisk running at every startup is not normal and while it
may be
> > a simple issue, if errors are being found every time, it may be
> > something a lot more serious.
> >
> > None of the above, of course, means anything if you've got it as a
> > Scheduled Task. Not sure I've ever seen Scandisk run at every
startup as
> > a Scheduled Task. That's going *way* overboard!
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "DSL-Dave" <dminott@yourshortsDomino-Biz.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello again,
> > >
> > > I checked MSCONFIG and couldn't find it.
> > >
> > > After rethinking, I checked the Task Scheduler, and that's where
it
> > was
> > > hiding!
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
Scandisk,
> > not
> > by
> > lower

> > automatic

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the advice, it's always appreciated!

Dave