Find Files and Folders

Hi,
"*.RBO" is known as a worm extension. When I type in "*.RBO" to find files
with this extension I get no files found eventhough there are many files
with that extension.
Thanks
AJS
7 answers Last reply
More about find files folders

    What do you mean "even though there are many files with that extension"?
    How do you know?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > "*.RBO" is known as a worm extension. When I type in "*.RBO" to find
    files
    > with this extension I get no files found eventhough there are many
    files
    > with that extension.
    > Thanks
    > AJS

    I found these files by looking in folders in the Explorer window. Since I
    don't
    know how many and where there all are, I tried typing "*.rbo" in the find
    files
    and folders window. But none of these files showed up. To make sure I had
    the
    right extension I went to properties on one of these files.

    | What do you mean "even though there are many files with that extension"?
    | How do you know?
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | > "*.RBO" is known as a worm extension. When I type in "*.RBO" to find
    | files
    | > with this extension I get no files found eventhough there are many
    | files
    | > with that extension.
    | > Thanks
    | > AJS

    Hi,
    I am unable to find your post.
    Can you help me finding it?

    | What do you mean "even though there are many files with that extension"?
    | How do you know?
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | > "*.RBO" is known as a worm extension. When I type in "*.RBO" to find
    | files
    | > with this extension I get no files found eventhough there are many
    | files
    | > with that extension.
    | > Thanks
    | > AJS

    I didn't reply to your post last night because I went to bed before you
    replied to mine. And I slept in. (In the newsgroup, that is. Sorry if my
    email wasn't clear. I intended for you to repeat your reply here after
    sending me an email reply.)

    See the links in my signature, especially the one on Security. You have
    been infected with the Magistr.B worm virus. My guess is that you have a
    lot more infestations to deal with, as well. You can find removal
    instructions here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html

    From what I read, your system *may* be irreparably damaged. This worm
    included time-bomb like features. The sooner you deal with it, the
    better. If you back up any files for safe keeping, be sure to scan them
    for viruses before you try restoring them to any other system.

    --

    > Hi,
    > I am unable to find your post.
    > Can you help me finding it?

    > | What do you mean "even though there are many files with that
    extension"?
    > | How do you know?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > |
    > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > | > Hi,
    > | > "*.RBO" is known as a worm extension. When I type in "*.RBO" to
    find
    > | files
    > | > with this extension I get no files found eventhough there are many
    > | files
    > | > with that extension.
    > | > Thanks
    > | > AJS

    Hi Gary,
    Sorry about the confusion...

    I did run a virus scan (Trend Micro) and ad-aware. Both times no infected
    files were found. This is why I am deleting files manually. I noticed a lot
    of these files (*.RBO) in the Windows-System folder. Before I deleted these
    files I ran a search to get all the *.RBO files by going to "Start - Find -
    Files or Folders..." In the "Named" box I typed "*.RBO", clicked on "find
    now", Look in: (C:).
    No files were found... I also tried to be more specific with the search and
    looked in "Windows - System", and still no such files were found.

    What need I do so that "Start - Find -Files or Folders..." will find all the
    *.RBO files on my "C" drive?
    N.B. My system still runs fine until now.
    Thank you.

    | I didn't reply to your post last night because I went to bed before you
    | replied to mine. And I slept in. (In the newsgroup, that is. Sorry if my
    | email wasn't clear. I intended for you to repeat your reply here after
    | sending me an email reply.)
    |
    | See the links in my signature, especially the one on Security. You have
    | been infected with the Magistr.B worm virus. My guess is that you have a
    | lot more infestations to deal with, as well. You can find removal
    | instructions here:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html

    | From what I read, your system *may* be irreparably damaged. This worm
    | included time-bomb like features. The sooner you deal with it, the
    | better. If you back up any files for safe keeping, be sure to scan them
    | for viruses before you try restoring them to any other system.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi,
    | > I am unable to find your post.
    | > Can you help me finding it?
    | >
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | What do you mean "even though there are many files with that
    | extension"?
    | > | How do you know?
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > |
    | > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    | find
    | > | files
    | > | files

    | > |

    I can't tell you, specifically, what you need to do to enable Find to
    locate those files. My guess is that a Registry hack similar to a Policy
    is responsible. Might try running REGEDIT and doing a search on that
    file extension. Have you tried searching on just RBO, not on *.RBO. Or
    other variations like *BO or *RBO, or even just *O

    But I can almost guarantee you that the virus is present, and it's
    probably quite capable of stopping the usual antivirus apps from
    detecting or removing it. Which is why I pointed you to the removal
    tool. Might want to try doing these things in Safe Mode, though I'm not
    certain it will help much.

    Anti-spyware apps are useless against this intruder. As are most normal
    AV apps, once the virus actually infects the system. I get hits from my
    ETrust AV all the time on this virus, but that's *before* it actually
    makes it into the system, usually before the email that carries it even
    gets opened. More involved methods would include using another machine
    to download F-Prot for DOS, along with current definitions, then burn
    them all to a bootable CD made using an ISO image of a Windows Startup
    disk. But I can't say for sure that this would do the trick. Please try
    the removal tool I pointed you to at Symantec.

    --

    > Hi Gary,
    > Sorry about the confusion...
    >
    > I did run a virus scan (Trend Micro) and ad-aware. Both times no
    infected
    > files were found. This is why I am deleting files manually. I noticed
    a lot
    > of these files (*.RBO) in the Windows-System folder. Before I deleted
    these
    > files I ran a search to get all the *.RBO files by going to "Start -
    Find -
    > Files or Folders..." In the "Named" box I typed "*.RBO", clicked on
    "find
    > now", Look in: (C:).
    > No files were found... I also tried to be more specific with the
    search and
    > looked in "Windows - System", and still no such files were found.
    >
    > What need I do so that "Start - Find -Files or Folders..." will find
    all the
    > *.RBO files on my "C" drive?
    > N.B. My system still runs fine until now.
    > Thank you.

    > | I didn't reply to your post last night because I went to bed before
    you
    > | replied to mine. And I slept in. (In the newsgroup, that is. Sorry
    if my
    > | email wasn't clear. I intended for you to repeat your reply here
    after
    > | sending me an email reply.)
    > |
    > | See the links in my signature, especially the one on Security. You
    have
    > | been infected with the Magistr.B worm virus. My guess is that you
    have a
    > | lot more infestations to deal with, as well. You can find removal
    > | instructions here:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html

    > | From what I read, your system *may* be irreparably damaged. This
    worm
    > | included time-bomb like features. The sooner you deal with it, the
    > | better. If you back up any files for safe keeping, be sure to scan
    them
    > | for viruses before you try restoring them to any other system.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > |
    > | "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message
    > | > Hi,
    > | > I am unable to find your post.
    > | > Can you help me finding it?
    > | >
    > | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > | extension"?
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | find
    > | > | >

    > | > |

    I did run the Symantec removal tool. Again, nothing was found. I ran a
    search for *.exe files looked in its folder and about 90% of these files
    have a file with the same file name but a ".RBO" extension in the same
    folder. I deleted them all (took me hours). What a nasty worm...
    Also, I searched the registry for the RBO extension but there were none.
    Thanks for your help.

> [...]
    | > Files or Folders..." In the "Named" box I typed "*.RBO", clicked on
    | "find
    | > now", Look in: (C:).
    | > No files were found... I also tried to be more specific with the
    | search and
    | > looked in "Windows - System", and still no such files were found.
    | >
    | > What need I do so that "Start - Find -Files or Folders..." will find
    | all the
    | > *.RBO files on my "C" drive?
    | > N.B. My system still runs fine until now.
    | > Thank you.
    | >
    | > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | I didn't reply to your post last night because I went to bed before
    | you
    | > | replied to mine. And I slept in. (In the newsgroup, that is. Sorry
    | if my
    | > | email wasn't clear. I intended for you to repeat your reply here
    | > |
    | > | See the links in my signature, especially the one on Security. You
    | have
    | > | been infected with the Magistr.B worm virus. My guess is that you
    | have a
    | > | lot more infestations to deal with, as well. You can find removal
    | > | instructions here:
    | > |

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html
    | > |
    | > | From what I read, your system *may* be irreparably damaged. This
    | worm
    | > | included time-bomb like features. The sooner you deal with it, the
    | > | better. If you back up any files for safe keeping, be sure to scan
    | them
    | > | for viruses before you try restoring them to any other system.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User