gradius

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Has anybody overclocked one of these. Does it overclock as well as the 165 & 170. If so how high does the clock speed get.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The overclocking on those chip is limited by the server nature of the motherboard and registered RAM.

My well versed friend Wusy, ECC is the main cause for the Non-Overclocking, as I've overclocked quite a few Socket 940 Opteron 64's and ECC was the main reason. So much for your knowledge :oops:.

PS: The "nature" of them has zilch to do with OCing them, it's all the RAM buddy, and since 0 Socket 940 boards have Memory Dividers, it's nearly impossible to get high OC's w/o Non-ECC Memory.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That's kind of what he said. I haven't seen registered RAM that wasn't ECC.

Since you've obviously never used a Server or Workstation, the fact you can DISABLE ECC must elude you and your infinite wisdom...

jeez....newbs...

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
PS: The "nature" of them has zilch to do with OCing them, it's all the RAM buddy, and since 0 Socket 940 boards have Memory Dividers, it's nearly impossible to get high OC's w/o Non-ECC Memory.
Text above and in bold / red is totally false, he makes shit up when he doesn't know, then tries to back it up. The guy needs his own disclaimer and is the reason the forums have an [Ignore] button. There is a firefox plugin available that auto ignores him, I suggest you google it. :p

I am using a Tyan K8WE (Dual Socket 940) board, and it does indead have memory dividers.

Wusy is right dude, Unbuffered ECC (Mostly on Socket 939 Opterons) doesn't limit overclockability, but Registered or Registered ECC does.

AMD Opteron™ Processor Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8796_8806,00.html

Still waiting on that article from Mike saying how to get all 4 GB working under a Win32 workstation Kernel. (eg: Windows XP Home / Pro, not Pro x64).

He claims now that he 'works with server gear all the time' (cough, bullshit) yet just a few weeks ago he claimed not to have a machine with 4 GB available for testing.

Since most servers have 4-8 GB, this can only be a tell tale sign indicating a possible compolsive lier complex. :p

He will now demonstrate his maturity by starting a flame war.

(Sometimes he wrrites good posts, but when he 'pretends' you can almost always pick it up straight away)

Finally, no, the Opteron 285 series do not overclock well, as they are already near the 'upper limit' clock speed wise for the die. You also need a very decent (read: loud) PSU to overclock 2 processors.

The Registered DIMMs may hold you back RAM clock speed wise though. (Registered RAM adds a transparent CAS Latency tick), However, you can indeed use a RAM divider to overclock the CPUs. However most server boards lack overclocking features in the BIOS, but not RAM dividiers as Mike incorrectly states above - the vast majority of server mainboard BIOS(es) do include this, so you may need to use ModBIOS and/or nVidia nTune (Assuming nForce Pro 2200/2050 chipset).

Of course you would need 2 CPUs that overclock equally, as if one hits a ceiling at 2.5 GHz, you can't keep pushing the speed. :p

Has anybody overclocked one of these. Does it overclock as well as the 165 & 170. If so how high does the clock speed get.

Overclocking is partially motherboard specific. Most mobos that accept 2xx opterons have limited overclocking abilities as most multipliers, fsb, and memory timings are not open or unavailable in the BIOS. I've used Tyan mobos for both Athon MP's and Opterons and there have been either no or very limited options to change the voltage, memory timings, or fsb settings.

As mentioned, oc'ing with Registered/ECC memory is an issue, whether you disable ECC in the BIOS or not, just the nature of the chips.

The overclocking on those chip is limited by the server nature of the motherboard and registered RAM.

My well versed friend Wusy, ECC is the main cause for the Non-Overclocking, as I've overclocked quite a few Socket 940 Opteron 64's and ECC was the main reason. So much for your knowledge :oops:.

What mobo(s) did you use to overclock the Skt 940 opty's? Make and model please.

You might want to revisit this post and rethink your statement regarding, "it's nearly impossible to get high OC's w/o non-ECC Memory." as this implies that you need ECC Memory to get high overclocks. Which is funny, cause I always modified the multiplier, FSB, and voltage to overclock, I have never overclocked by only making memory adjustments and I have never seen my cpu read as faster MHz strictly due to memory timing changes...