Decrypting Folder/Files??

September 13, 2004 1:20:48 AM

Folks

Is there anyway to DECRYPT files in a folder that I encrypted.

Background:

I have an encrypted folder on my E drive (I was experimenting with this
option) and a few weeks ago I restored my C drive. Now I am unable to
decrypt the files on E. It doesn't matter whether I log on as Admin or the
User that created the files, I cant seem to get access to those files - even
deleting them.

Is there another way around this or is it a case of Formatting the drive?
Couldn't find much help on this on MS FAQ - most of the help was for
standard encrypting and decrpting options which do not work in this case.

chrs Baj

PS

I am using XP SP2 proffessional.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:20:49 AM

Hi,

Decrypting (or even accessing) the encrypted folder requires the original
encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent made in the original
installation. Without one of these, the data is lost to you and everyone
else. If you did a reinstall without creating those first, then you may as
well delete the file. A repair installation would have preserved the user
SID's and you would still have a chance to create one of these.

If you are merely getting "access denied", it may simply be an ownership
issue. Right-click the folder, select properties. Go to the security tab and
click advanced. You can take control of the folders on the owner tab. For
the security tab to appear in a WinXP Pro system, you must disable simple
file sharing in the control panel/folder options/view tab. For a WinXP Home
system, you must restart in safe mode and logon as administrator. More
details here:

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

An additional note for WinXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which
they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not recoverable.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bejay" <bejay@xxxc.om> wrote in message
> Folks
>
> Is there anyway to DECRYPT files in a folder that I encrypted.
>
> Background:
>
> I have an encrypted folder on my E drive (I was experimenting with this
> option) and a few weeks ago I restored my C drive. Now I am unable to
> decrypt the files on E. It doesn't matter whether I log on as Admin or the
> User that created the files, I cant seem to get access to those files -
> even deleting them.
>
> Is there another way around this or is it a case of Formatting the drive?
> Couldn't find much help on this on MS FAQ - most of the help was for
> standard encrypting and decrpting options which do not work in this case.
>
> chrs Baj
>
> PS
>
> I am using XP SP2 proffessional.

Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:39:29 AM

Rick

Yes thanks for your help, the files are encrypted - trying all below doesn't
help I cant access the files, all I can do now is delete them.

thanks

Baj

> Hi,
>
> Decrypting (or even accessing) the encrypted folder requires the original
> encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent made in the original
> installation. Without one of these, the data is lost to you and everyone
> else. If you did a reinstall without creating those first, then you may as
> well delete the file. A repair installation would have preserved the user
> SID's and you would still have a chance to create one of these.
>
> If you are merely getting "access denied", it may simply be an ownership
> issue. Right-click the folder, select properties. Go to the security tab
> and click advanced. You can take control of the folders on the owner tab.
> For the security tab to appear in a WinXP Pro system, you must disable
> simple file sharing in the control panel/folder options/view tab. For a
> WinXP Home system, you must restart in safe mode and logon as
> administrator. More details here:
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> An additional note for WinXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
> recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
> delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
> encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under
> which they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not
> recoverable.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "bejay" <bejay@xxxc.om> wrote in message
>> Folks
>>
>> Is there anyway to DECRYPT files in a folder that I encrypted.
>>
>> Background:
>>
>> I have an encrypted folder on my E drive (I was experimenting with this
>> option) and a few weeks ago I restored my C drive. Now I am unable to
>> decrypt the files on E. It doesn't matter whether I log on as Admin or
>> the User that created the files, I cant seem to get access to those
>> files - even deleting them.
>>
>> Is there another way around this or is it a case of Formatting the drive?
>> Couldn't find much help on this on MS FAQ - most of the help was for
>> standard encrypting and decrpting options which do not work in this case.
>>
>> chrs Baj
>>
>> PS
>>
>> I am using XP SP2 proffessional.

Anonymous
May 29, 2010 12:24:47 AM

I encrypted my files on my external hard-drive and then i reformated by laptop! OMG! I have such important files there and I don't have any certificates. Is there absolutely nothing I can do?

Please help if you can!
Thanx

May

Quote: