Adaptec CD writer software

I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes about
an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only be
read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
writing?
--
Rj
12 answers Last reply

    Slow to format can be due to multiple reasons. Overall speed of the PC, the
    CD burner hardware, and the burning software.

    Even one would think that UDF is standardized, its not. So UDF in Adaptec,
    may be unreadable in a PC using Nero (INCD) for instance.

    More people use Nero 5.x and 6.x versions, I think. This may be packaged
    with INCD, Nero's UDF writer/reader. INCD is also available at the Nero
    website under downloads.
    "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    about
    > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    be
    > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
    > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    > writing?
    > --
    > Rj

    This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
    seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
    software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the burn
    is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    about
    > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    be
    > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
    > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    > writing?
    > --
    > Rj

    If you are "formatting" a CD, then you are using CD-RW discs and the packet-writing
    module of Roxio (formerly Adaptec) EasyCD Creator....the module known as DirectCD
    and in newer versions known as Drag-To-Disk. This allows you to use a CD-RW as a
    "giant floppy", dragging and copying files right onto the CD. Since it uses a
    different file system, you must either have the same program or a UDF Reader
    installed on the computer where you want to read the CD-RW. Packet-writing is not a
    good option for sharing files with another computer. For that, use the CD mastering
    module of Roxio....Easy CD Creator...and use CD-R discs.

    See the CD-Recordable FAQ for more:
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    Particularly:
    [1-1] What's CD-R? CD-RW?
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq01.html#S1-1
    [6-3] What is packet writing (a/k/a DLA - Drive Letter Access)?
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq06.html#S6-3
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes about
    > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only be
    > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
    > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    > writing?
    > --
    > Rj

    x-no-archive: yes
    "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    about
    > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    be
    > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
    > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    > writing?
    > --
    > Rj

    Exactly the same on mine - hate it. I use Nero now.

    I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and avoid
    using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a lot
    better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
    often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
    problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?

    AlmostBob wrote:
    > This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
    > seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
    > software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
    burn
    > is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    about
    >> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    be
    >> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying
    >> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    >> writing?
    >> --
    >> Rj

    With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
    remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
    add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
    fresh one when it gets full.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
    avoid
    > using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
    lot
    > better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
    > often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
    > problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?
    >
    > AlmostBob wrote:
    > > This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none
    of it
    > > seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the
    same
    > > software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead.
    the
    > burn
    > > is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the
    software

    > > --
    > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > > Catalog of removal tools (2)

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before
    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It
    takes
    > about
    > >> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can
    only
    > be
    > >> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and
    trying
    > >> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and
    faster) CD
    > >> writing?
    > >> --
    > >> Rj

    Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much) fill the
    CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's mostly just
    music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.

    But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be something
    similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated it -
    prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
    discard the old one (or keep one old backup).

    Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant part of
    the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
    function!!

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
    > remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
    > add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
    > fresh one when it gets full.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
    avoid
    >> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
    lot
    >> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
    >> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
    >> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?
    >>
    >> AlmostBob wrote:
    >>> This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
    >>> seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
    >>> software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
    burn
    >>> is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the
    software

    >>> --
    >>> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    >>> spybot http://security.kolla.de
    >>> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    >>> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    >>> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    >>> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    >>> Catalog of removal tools (1)
    >>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    >>> Catalog of removal tools (2)
    >>>
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    >>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    >>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >>> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    >>> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    >>> _
    >>> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    For special projects, where I want to do daily backups, I make a folder
    named for the date, copy the files that need backing up into it, then
    burn the folder to CD. (Yes, I use DVDs for larger daily backups or
    full-project storage.) My main add-to usage, though, is for updating the
    CDs I take out on repair calls--AV, antispyware, tools, drivers, Windows
    Updates, etc.

    --

    > Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much)
    fill the
    > CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's
    mostly just
    > music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.
    >
    > But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be
    something
    > similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated
    it -
    > prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
    > discard the old one (or keep one old backup).
    >
    > Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant
    part of
    > the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
    > function!!
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided
    you
    > > remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy
    > > add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in
    > > fresh one when it gets full.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once),
    and
    > avoid
    > >> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll
    be a
    > lot
    > >> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this
    quite
    > >> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of
    the
    > >> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing
    stuff?

    > burn
    > software

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/

    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > use

    > can
    > and
    > (and

    I have Nero Burning s/w and I use InCD and I'm getting more experience
    w/Nero Burning, Originally, I just burned CD's, now I burn files and the
    drag & drop is a great feature. I burn large fldrs. that fill the CD... my
    installers/program files, etc...

    I have WMPlayer 9 series and *did have the Roxio/Adaptec plug-in for
    WMPlayer*. Adaptec/Roxio plug-in is not compaible w/UDF packet reading s/w.
    I had conflicts but since I uninstalled Roxio/Adaptec plug-in from the
    WMPlayer all conflicts/problems solved; except mass deleting which is
    another set of worms/bug and a problems of Windows ability to recover.

    I like InCD UDF packet reading s/w.... works just like my Iomega and I'm a
    old schooler and at home w/this s/w. If you want to use InCD or DirectCD you
    should remove the Roxio/Adaptec plug-in from WMPlayer 9 series.

    I have the Nero burning plug-in in my WMplayer, however have never used it,
    I don't use WMplayer real often, except for .midi files, I do have large
    playlists of midi files.

    I ran a run command to remove the Roxio/Adaptec plug in for Windows MPlayer
    9 series.
    rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection c:\windows\inf\roxio.inf,Uninstall

    I removed the subsequent fldrs. in C:\Programs\Common for the plug-in.... I
    believe it is identified as Createc, not sure, this was sometime back and a
    reg. cleaner which shows **all programs** from the registry and was able to
    identify and remove entries from registry and the C:\Programs fldrs.

    I am able to use InCD basically trouble free now!!

    Full format, including the logical takes approx. 30 mins. on my puter using
    InCD!!

    Star

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
    > seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
    > software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
    burn
    > is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    > about
    > > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    > be
    > > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying
    > > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster)
    CD
    > > writing?
    > > --
    > > Rj

    Yes, but can you *read* those CDs anywhere else?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before
    > use
    > >
    > > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > > _
    > > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It
    takes
    > > about
    > > > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD
    can only
    > > be
    > > > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and
    trying
    > > > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and

    Ran into one nuance usng DVD backups in XP. The filesize limitation is
    still 2GB. Will shutup now since this is not an XP group.
    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much) fill
    the
    > CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's mostly
    just
    > music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.
    >
    > But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be something
    > similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated it -
    > prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
    > discard the old one (or keep one old backup).
    >
    > Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant part
    of
    > the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
    > function!!
    >
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
    > > remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
    > > add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
    > > fresh one when it gets full.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
    > avoid
    > >> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
    > lot
    > >> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
    > >> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
    > >> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?

    the
    > burn
    > software

    > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > use

    > can
    > and
    > (and

    Just one more nuance. Different older versions of INCD may have trouble
    reading CDs burned with INCD. Found this trying to read such CDs in other
    platforms with different versions of INCD. If they all have the same
    version, they seem to all work fine with reading such burnt CDs from other
    platforms.
    The latest version of INCD has better recovery in the event of a PC freezeup
    and consequential forced hard reboot or boot. Older versions may have
    indicated need to reformat the CD in those conditions.
    "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
    about
    > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
    be
    > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
    > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
    > writing?
    > --
    > Rj

Adaptec CD-Rom Software Windows