Adaptec CD writer software

RJ

I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes about
an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only be
read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
writing?
--
Rj

Slow to format can be due to multiple reasons. Overall speed of the PC, the
CD burner hardware, and the burning software.

Even one would think that UDF is standardized, its not. So UDF in Adaptec,
may be unreadable in a PC using Nero (INCD) for instance.

More people use Nero 5.x and 6.x versions, I think. This may be packaged
with INCD, Nero's UDF writer/reader. INCD is also available at the Nero
website under downloads.
"Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
about
> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
be
> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
> writing?
> --
> Rj

This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the burn
is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
about
> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
be
> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
> writing?
> --
> Rj

If you are "formatting" a CD, then you are using CD-RW discs and the packet-writing
module of Roxio (formerly Adaptec) EasyCD Creator....the module known as DirectCD
and in newer versions known as Drag-To-Disk. This allows you to use a CD-RW as a
"giant floppy", dragging and copying files right onto the CD. Since it uses a
different file system, you must either have the same program or a UDF Reader
installed on the computer where you want to read the CD-RW. Packet-writing is not a
good option for sharing files with another computer. For that, use the CD mastering
module of Roxio....Easy CD Creator...and use CD-R discs.

See the CD-Recordable FAQ for more:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Particularly:
[1-1] What's CD-R? CD-RW?
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq01.html#S1-1
[6-3] What is packet writing (a/k/a DLA - Drive Letter Access)?
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq06.html#S6-3
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes about
> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only be
> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
> writing?
> --
> Rj

x-no-archive: yes
"Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
about
> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
be
> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying to
> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
> writing?
> --
> Rj

Exactly the same on mine - hate it. I use Nero now.

I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and avoid
using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a lot
better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?

AlmostBob wrote:
> This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
> seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
> software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
burn
> is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
about
>> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
be
>> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying
>> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster) CD
>> writing?
>> --
>> Rj

With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
fresh one when it gets full.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
avoid
> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
lot
> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?
>
> AlmostBob wrote:
> > This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none
of it
> > seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the
same
> > software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead.
the
> burn
> > is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the
software

> > --
> > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > Catalog of removal tools (2)

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before
> use
> >
> > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> > _
> > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It
takes
> about
> >> an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can
only
> be
> >> read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and
trying
> >> use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and
faster) CD
> >> writing?
> >> --
> >> Rj

Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much) fill the
CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's mostly just
music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.

But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be something
similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated it -
prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
discard the old one (or keep one old backup).

Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant part of
the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
function!!

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
> remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
> add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
> fresh one when it gets full.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
avoid
>> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
lot
>> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
>> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
>> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?
>>
>> AlmostBob wrote:
>>> This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
>>> seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
>>> software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
burn
>>> is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the
software

>>> --
>>> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
>>> spybot http://security.kolla.de
>>> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
>>> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
>>> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
>>> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
>>> Catalog of removal tools (1)
>>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
>>> Catalog of removal tools (2)
>>>
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
>>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
>>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>>> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

>>> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
>>> _
>>> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

For special projects, where I want to do daily backups, I make a folder
named for the date, copy the files that need backing up into it, then
burn the folder to CD. (Yes, I use DVDs for larger daily backups or
full-project storage.) My main add-to usage, though, is for updating the
CDs I take out on repair calls--AV, antispyware, tools, drivers, Windows
Updates, etc.

--

> Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much)
fill the
> CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's
mostly just
> music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.
>
> But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be
something
> similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated
it -
> prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
> discard the old one (or keep one old backup).
>
> Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant
part of
> the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
> function!!
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided
you
> > remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy
> > add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in
> > fresh one when it gets full.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once),
and
> avoid
> >> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll
be a
> lot
> >> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this
quite
> >> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of
the
> >> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing
stuff?

> burn
> software

http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> use

> can
> and
> (and

Star

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

I have Nero Burning s/w and I use InCD and I'm getting more experience
w/Nero Burning, Originally, I just burned CD's, now I burn files and the
drag & drop is a great feature. I burn large fldrs. that fill the CD... my
installers/program files, etc...

I have WMPlayer 9 series and *did have the Roxio/Adaptec plug-in for
WMPlayer*. Adaptec/Roxio plug-in is not compaible w/UDF packet reading s/w.
I had conflicts but since I uninstalled Roxio/Adaptec plug-in from the
WMPlayer all conflicts/problems solved; except mass deleting which is
another set of worms/bug and a problems of Windows ability to recover.

I like InCD UDF packet reading s/w.... works just like my Iomega and I'm a
old schooler and at home w/this s/w. If you want to use InCD or DirectCD you
should remove the Roxio/Adaptec plug-in from WMPlayer 9 series.

I have the Nero burning plug-in in my WMplayer, however have never used it,
I don't use WMplayer real often, except for .midi files, I do have large
playlists of midi files.

I ran a run command to remove the Roxio/Adaptec plug in for Windows MPlayer
9 series.
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection c:\windows\inf\roxio.inf,Uninstall

I removed the subsequent fldrs. in C:\Programs\Common for the plug-in.... I
believe it is identified as Createc, not sure, this was sometime back and a
reg. cleaner which shows **all programs** from the registry and was able to
identify and remove entries from registry and the C:\Programs fldrs.

I am able to use InCD basically trouble free now!!

Full format, including the logical takes approx. 30 mins. on my puter using
InCD!!

Star

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is an ongoing problem in all cd packet writing software, none of it
> seems to be compatible with any other, even other versions of the same
> software, better to stop using it and use burning software instead. the
burn
> is much faster, and you can still drag n drop the files into the software
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It takes
> about
> > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD can only
> be
> > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and trying
> > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and faster)
CD
> > writing?
> > --
> > Rj

Yes, but can you *read* those CDs anywhere else?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Star" <star@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before
> use
> >
> > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> > _
> > "Rj" <Rj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have 98se with adaptec cd writer software. Two problems. 1. It
takes
> > about
> > > an hour for the CD to be "formatted", and 2. The info on the CD
can only
> > be
> > > read by adaptec software. This is a problem when saving info and
trying
> > > use it on other computers. What can I do get more generic (and

Ran into one nuance usng DVD backups in XP. The filesize limitation is
still 2GB. Will shutup now since this is not an XP group.
"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Good point. I guess I've never done that as I just (pretty much) fill
the
> CD with what I want at the time I burn it. At this point, it's mostly
just
> music, anyway - not data, since I used DVDs for that.
>
> But like my HD data backups are done on a DVD, and there may be something
> similar to that (leaving the DVD open), but I haven't investigated it -
> prefering to just write it as "one shot". (When I make a new DVD, I
> discard the old one (or keep one old backup).
>
> Once you start getting used to "backing up" most of your significant part
of
> the HD to a DVD, there's no turning back to a CD, at least for THAT
> function!!
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > With Roxio, I leave the disk open but close the session. Provided you
> > remember to re-import the existing sessions on the disk, it's easy to
> > add to it. That way you can progressively fill up the CD, popping in a
> > fresh one when it gets full.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >> I think so too. Just burn a CD in the DAO mode (disk at once), and
> avoid
> >> using the packet writing stuff (like DirectCD or InCD) and you'll be a
> lot
> >> better off. I mean, CDs are cheap enough that you can do this quite
> >> often. Sure, it's a bit of a waste, but why put up with all of the
> >> problems and potential incompatibilities of the packet writing stuff?

the
> burn
> software

> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> use

> can
> and
> (and

Just one more nuance. Different older versions of INCD may have trouble
reading CDs burned with INCD. Found this trying to read such CDs in other
platforms with different versions of INCD. If they all have the same
version, they seem to all work fine with reading such burnt CDs from other
platforms.
The latest version of INCD has better recovery in the event of a PC freezeup
and consequential forced hard reboot or boot. Older versions may have
indicated need to reformat the CD in those conditions.