Windows 98 SE restore?

Susan

My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on his
laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar with
Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop and
found nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could specify
backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be dates
set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?

Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.

Thanks,
Susan

Windows 95, 98, 98SE, NT and 2K do *not* have any system restore like
that found in ME or XP.

Windows 98 and 98SE have a mechanism that saves backups of the Registry
and a few other configuration files (Win.ini and System.ini, to name
two.) They are created daily by running SCANREGW /autoscan as a Startup
app (check MSCONFIG Startup tab) provided that it hasn't been disabled.
The backups are stored in the Hidden folder named %windir%\SYSBCKUP as
RBnnn.CAB files, where nnn is a three-digit number.

SCANREGW behavior can be altered in SCANREG.INI, which is fully
annotated. You restore a Registry backup using SCANREG /Restore from a
plain DOS boot (Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on
his
> laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar
with
> Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop
and
> found nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could
specify
> backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be
dates
> set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?
>
> Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

As Gary said, there is no "system restore" in Win98SE, but you can restore a
previous registry from just a few days ago, which can resolve a problem in
SOME cases. It's not quite the same (as good as) a System Restore, however.

What specifically is your problem that you are trying to fix, and how long
ago did it happen?

If it's been over 5 days, and you've been turning your computer off each
nite, there probably won't be any registry backups available. (there are
only 5 days worth, normally)

Susan wrote:
> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on his
> laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar with
> Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop and
> found nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could specify
> backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be dates
> set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?
>
> Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message

> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on his
> laptop. . . .. I found on his laptop when you could specify
> backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be dates
> set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?

1. Win98 has no RESTORE software.
2. Various items of Win98 software have /restore functions
e.g. (DOS) SCANREG /restore
and possibly MSBACKUP /restore
depending on the software's function.

SCANREG /restore
is useful to turn back the clock if the Registry has
been damaged by alteration (rebooting to a good
Registry stored at an earlier date.)
MSBACKUP was new software created for Win95.
It is notoriously unreliable (and non-portable.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

To add to the others:

What you understand as Restore in Win ME/XP is nothing like scanreg /restore in
98. As mentioned by the others, this command ONLY restores the registry and does
not roll back to a functioning system if something other than the registry is
corrupt.

In a short sense, let's say you install an app and 3 days later something goes
wrong.
In ME/XP you can Restore (Roll Back) the system to the time before/on day of the
install which Restores the system to that state.

In 98 scanreg /restore will not restore the system to that state but will
restore the registry to that state. Depending on the situation/problem this can
either work or not and any errors from the situation/problem may still be
present.

If you can post your brothers problem along with any errors, others will be
able to help out more proficiently.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on his
> laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar with
> Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop and found
> nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could specify backup
> file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be dates set on
> Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?
>
> Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

Not to sound like a shill For Norton, but for a very reasonable price (less
than $50), you can buy GoBack, which adds full restore to Win98 - even
better than in XP. I say never run a computer without this and similar
software, as well as doing backups, of course. GoBack has saved me lots of
times when it came to restoring my system and personal files!

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
"Susan" <dsnsacree@msn.com> wrote in message
> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on his
> laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar with
> Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop and
> found nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could specify
> backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be dates
> set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?
>
> Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

I agree. Go back is a very useful program and I used to use it on
win98se. I must admit I don't think much of xp's restore system anyway
because if you have an error happen during the place you need to revert
the pc to, xp won't do it.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

Susan

Thank you everyone. I could not be specific because my brother could not be
specific either. But you have made it plain about the differences in 98 and
the others Windows. I think his laptop is functioning as it should be with
spyware, malware,etc removed with help from you and others in previous posts
and the assistance from the Dell forums with the analysis of hijackthis
logs.

Susan

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1myibz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> I agree. Go back is a very useful program and I used to use it on
> win98se. I must admit I don't think much of xp's restore system anyway
> because if you have an error happen during the place you need to revert
> the pc to, xp won't do it.
>

> Anthony Giorgianni Wrote:
>> Not to sound like a shill For Norton, but for a very reasonable price
>> (less
>> than $50), you can buy GoBack, which adds full restore to Win98 - even
>> better than in XP. I say never run a computer without this and similar
>> software, as well as doing backups, of course. GoBack has saved me lots
>> of
>> times when it came to restoring my system and personal files!
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Anthony Giorgianni
>>
>> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
>> back
>> to the newsgroup.
>> "Susan" dsnsacree@msn.com wrote in message
>> My brother says that there are no restore points for Windows 98 SE on
>> his
>> laptop. I am not familiar with Windows 98 SE but am more familiar
>> with
>> Windows ME and Windows XP. I tried to look in manual for his laptop
>> and
>> found nothing about restore. I found on his laptop when you could
>> specify
>> backup file and restore from backup file. Are there supposed to be
>> dates
>> set on Windows 98 SE where you can choose to restore the system from?
>>
>> Please help me to understand Windows 98 SE restore capabilites.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Susan
>>
>> -
>

> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE

> Windows 95, 98, 98SE, NT and 2K do *not* have any system restore like
> that found in ME or XP.

If system restore is available in ME, why cant a person just copy
that capability over to win98??
I know people take ME's defrag, and I have heard of other people
copying other programs from later editions of windows over to
win 98......... why not the Restore too?

croak

Because it's a *lot* more complicated.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote in message

> > Windows 95, 98, 98SE, NT and 2K do *not* have any system restore
like
> > that found in ME or XP.
>

> If system restore is available in ME, why cant a person just copy
> that capability over to win98??
> I know people take ME's defrag, and I have heard of other people
> copying other programs from later editions of windows over to
> win 98......... why not the Restore too?
>
> croak

TRENDING THREADS