GPU fan dying...

mtoivane

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Hi guys. The cooling fan on my GeForce 4 Ti 4600 is dying. I opened the case today and verified that the fan IS still running, but it's quite loose on its bearings, thus it is running very noisily. I'm looking for an inexpensive fix for this because I don't really game (I primarily watch videos and listen to music) and this card has more than enough power for me.

Does it make sense for me to try and find a good VGA cooler to replace the dying fan? Does it make more sense to buy a new video card? I don't do much (read: almost no) gaming, and the games I play aren't all that demanding (WarCraft III is probably the most demanding game I play). The new card (if that's the way I go) would need to drive everything at 1280x1024 at 32 bit colour, as I'm running an LCD monitor on this setup.

Suggestions?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hi guys. The cooling fan on my GeForce 4 Ti 4600 is dying. I opened the case today and verified that the fan IS still running, but it's quite loose on its bearings, thus it is running very noisily. I'm looking for an inexpensive fix for this because I don't really game (I primarily watch videos and listen to music) and this card has more than enough power for me.

Does it make sense for me to try and find a good VGA cooler to replace the dying fan? Does it make more sense to buy a new video card? I don't do much (read: almost no) gaming, and the games I play aren't all that demanding (WarCraft III is probably the most demanding game I play). The new card (if that's the way I go) would need to drive everything at 1280x1024 at 32 bit colour, as I'm running an LCD monitor on this setup.

Suggestions?

if you wanted to change your gfc card then the next best option would be a 5900 FX, i wouldnt go any higher than that and i certaintly wouldnt buy any other FX gfx card, cause the 5900 was the one that nvidia fixed all there problems.

HourofDarkness

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
those after market coolers costs 40+ dollars, which is more expensive than my 6200!
your best bet: mod the fan
steps:

1. take the broken fan off
2. get a 80mm fan (size doesnt matter, 40+ please, no more than 72)
3. get a piece of plastic that fits in ur pci slot and glue it to the base of the fan attention: non-conductant if u want to keep ur motherboard (i cut a piece from a broken parallel connector)
4. leave the fan + plastic overnight
5. plug it beside the pci slot, set the power to medium/low so the airflow doesnt break glue. dont think that high will cool ur card better. keep in mind that ur card uses a 40mm or so fan and ur using a 3-times-more-powerful 80mm
6. enjoy

PS: i uses this to keep my card cool through overclock. my gpu fan didnt break. it cooled it down 6C or so during idle, and 9C load. pretty effective. i just happen to have a spare cpu heatsink laying around so i used the fan on it. there's ones with 2 80mm fans for 16 dollar retail also, if u dont wanna mess with the glue and stuff. do not get the exaust fan. it sucks in air and blow it out of the case!

have fun ^_^

HourofDarkness

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Interesting idea, but the Vantec I linked to was less than $20.00 delivered.

true. get that if u have the money but i dought how much better it'll be just because its copper. if ur card's running on passive, the fan mod might be even better than the vantec one, but definately get it if u have the money.

BTW, step 2 above, i mentioned no more than 72, i actually meant 92.