icon problem

The shortcut symbols (small white square with black arrow) located on the
bottom left hand corner of the icons on my desktop are changing colour
randomly; black, red or yellow. Using 98SE, no other apparent problems.

Thank you.
Ron

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:06:07 +1000, "Ron Chapple" <ron@home.com>
wrote:

>The shortcut symbols (small white square with black arrow) located on the
>bottom left hand corner of the icons on my desktop are changing colour
>randomly; black, red or yellow. Using 98SE, no other apparent problems.
>
>Thank you.
>Ron

Ron,

First delete the ShellIconCache file in the Windows folder and
reboot, it will be rebuilt. Restart from Start > Shutdown not a
shortcut.

The Max Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096. The
default value is 500. I use 4096 and it works well.

Copy the lines between the lines starting with REGEDIT4 and include
the one blank line at the end. Paste into a Notepad maximized window
and save as Maxicons.reg. Double click it to merge it into the
Registry. Reboot.
You can edit it and change 4096 and run it anytime if you wish.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="4096"

If the lines wrap there are no spaces in the first line and the
second line is: "Max Cached Icons"="4096"
Third line is blank, include it.

Ref:
Icons Randomly Change to Different Icons
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q132668/#appliesto

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

Delete the shelliconcache file from Safe Mode, per the instructions here:

Icons Displayed Incorrectly in Control Panel:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=133733

Or,
Click Start>Settings> Control Panel> Display> Appearance tab:
Click the "Item:" drop-down list and select "Icon"
Note the current icon size in the "Size:" box next to that.
Change the size, click Apply.
Change the size back to what it was, click OK.

Or,
If you have TweakUI installed, click Start> Settings> Control Panel> TweakUI>
"Repair" tab, select "Rebuild Icons" and click Repair Now.

Download and install TweakUI1.33:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp
Follow the installation instructions on that web page.

Following that, setting the Max Icon Cache setting in the Registry to 2048 would be
good preventive practice:
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.htm
Scroll to 'IconCache Fix', download, unzip, then right-click the enclosed .reg file,
click Merge on the menu that appears, and OK to the confirmation message.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ron Chapple" <ron@home.com> wrote in message
> The shortcut symbols (small white square with black arrow) located on the
> bottom left hand corner of the icons on my desktop are changing colour
> randomly; black, red or yellow. Using 98SE, no other apparent problems.
>
> Thank you.
> Ron

Instructions followed.
Thank you all.
Ron
"Ron Chapple" <ron@home.com> wrote in message
> The shortcut symbols (small white square with black arrow) located on the
> bottom left hand corner of the icons on my desktop are changing colour
> randomly; black, red or yellow. Using 98SE, no other apparent problems.
>
> Thank you.
> Ron

You are welcome.

--