Dr. Watson Problem?

I am having a problem with a computer and I cannnot figure a solution.
Whenever the computer startups, icons fill all the empty spaces on the
desktop. These icons have names like "Ct7a.idx", and when I check properties
on them, it says they are Dr. Watson files. The person that owns this
computer has deleted Dr. Watson (not sure why), but this makes viewing the
files impossible. If I delete all the icons, they re-appear on reboot. What
is causing these icons? I have ran Norton, Ad-Aware, HJT, Spybot and every
other scanner (all updated), and they all find nothing. The computer behave
fine other than this one problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Those are *not* Dr. Watson files. See:
http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=IDX

Someone obviously tried to open those files, got an "Open With"
dialogue, chose Dr. Watson, and left the "Always Use This..." box
checked. Try using Notepad to open one of these files and see if you can
find any hint as to what they are (in addition to the list in that link
above, you can probably figure out what they are.) My guess is that
whatever is making them is misconfigured to use the Desktop as the
storage folder.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"john_75915" <john75915@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with a computer and I cannnot figure a solution.
> Whenever the computer startups, icons fill all the empty spaces on the
> desktop. These icons have names like "Ct7a.idx", and when I check
properties
> on them, it says they are Dr. Watson files. The person that owns this
> computer has deleted Dr. Watson (not sure why), but this makes viewing
the
> files impossible. If I delete all the icons, they re-appear on
reboot. What
> is causing these icons? I have ran Norton, Ad-Aware, HJT, Spybot and
every
> other scanner (all updated), and they all find nothing. The computer
behave
> fine other than this one problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sorry it took so long to get back on. Had trouble with my Direcway (what
else is new!). Anyway, the problem was Registry Mechanic. It was placing
these files on the desktop. All folder settings (backup, log, etc..) were
set correctly, yet it still placed all these icons on startup. I have never
liked Registry Mechanic, but I have never had this sort of problem with it.
By the way, the .idx files all said "TIDX" and then a series of symbols.
Thanks for your help.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Those are *not* Dr. Watson files. See:
> http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=IDX
>
> Someone obviously tried to open those files, got an "Open With"
> dialogue, chose Dr. Watson, and left the "Always Use This..." box
> checked. Try using Notepad to open one of these files and see if you can
> find any hint as to what they are (in addition to the list in that link
> above, you can probably figure out what they are.) My guess is that
> whatever is making them is misconfigured to use the Desktop as the
> storage folder.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "john_75915" <john75915@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having a problem with a computer and I cannnot figure a solution.
> > Whenever the computer startups, icons fill all the empty spaces on the
> > desktop. These icons have names like "Ct7a.idx", and when I check
> properties
> > on them, it says they are Dr. Watson files. The person that owns this
> > computer has deleted Dr. Watson (not sure why), but this makes viewing
> the
> > files impossible. If I delete all the icons, they re-appear on
> reboot. What
> > is causing these icons? I have ran Norton, Ad-Aware, HJT, Spybot and
> every
> > other scanner (all updated), and they all find nothing. The computer
> behave
> > fine other than this one problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Those damned Registry Cleaner tools can cause large amounts of grief. I
don't recommend *any* of them for everyday users. Not one!