Format C:-Drive

Hi All,

I was told that it is better to format your c:-drive prior to do a
re-install of Windows.
Is this true?

I have a Compaq Presario, model 7450/7460. Windows 98 SE and it came with
so called "Quick Restore" cd's.

What are the steps to take for a Format of your hard drive anyways?

I saw an article on Microsoft which is for Windows XP
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348) and that
worried me a bit, since the person telling me made it sound soo simple and
it probably is... but I rather double-check before getting into a big mess.

Do I need to check all these things mentioned in the article for W98 as
well??
For one how can I check the BIOS settings...??

Appreciate any advice in this matter!

Thanks in advance,
Ellen
12 answers Last reply
More about format drive

    With your Compaq, you need to use the Restore Disk and follow it's
    instructions.
    One of the options in the restore will reformat your C drive for you in a
    format that Compaq approves (There may be a hidden partition required and
    only the Restore disk will do that.)

    The instructions you were referring to from Microsoft assume you have a
    non-proprietary installation. This is not the case for either Compaq or HP
    machines.

    "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was told that it is better to format your c:-drive prior to do a
    > re-install of Windows.
    > Is this true?
    >
    > I have a Compaq Presario, model 7450/7460. Windows 98 SE and it came with
    > so called "Quick Restore" cd's.
    >
    > What are the steps to take for a Format of your hard drive anyways?
    >
    > I saw an article on Microsoft which is for Windows XP
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348) and that
    > worried me a bit, since the person telling me made it sound soo simple and
    > it probably is... but I rather double-check before getting into a big
    > mess.
    >
    > Do I need to check all these things mentioned in the article for W98 as
    > well??
    > For one how can I check the BIOS settings...??
    >
    > Appreciate any advice in this matter!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ellen

    Mine is a Compaq Presario 7470 Desktop. Here is how mine went...

    Well, I don't know whether it would be the same for you, but this is
    what I did on my Compaq 7470. Remember, this totally wiped out
    everything & restored to factory default condition. This does an FDISK,
    so, if you want to backup first, it must be done to CD or another HDD
    altogether.

    It took a phone call or two to Compaq to run my QuickRestore from double
    CD's after an HDD crash, since the instructions that came with the them
    were lacking. They are bootable-- BUT I couldn't figure out how to get
    them into the CD-R/W drive. It was dumbfounding. Here's the actual
    process:

    1. Turn on computer. (So that you'll be able to...
    2. Open CD tray; put in CD 1; close tray.
    3. Turn computer off, then on. CD will boot.
    (Computer did stuff, some of it twice, maybe. How long?)
    4. When asked to insert a Diskette, hold down CTRL and press "R"
    three times.
    (Big secret? Lucky the guy was still on the line; he wanted to
    go; eventually, did.)
    5. At the error message (something like "Not ready reading drive
    N"), hit "R" for "Retry".
    (This took a second phone call; he said sometimes it takes 3
    Retry's.)
    6. When prompted, put in QuickRestore CD 2.
    7. When prompted, put in QuickRestore CD 1, again.
    8. When prompted, remove it.
    (Windows screen came up; it seemed to go back to DOS; it rebooted
    to Windows again; it did some unzipping; it rebooted; it did a
    SystemSave; it rebooted; it installed some drivers; it asked some
    questions, and I told all.)

    That's what I wrote, some of it from memory, during & after the process.
    The only other item in my notes is, "NEVER NEEDED ANY DISKETTE",
    capitalized. I remember wondering what that diskette asked for was
    supposed to be. I don't remember how much time passed between steps;
    overall, I believe it was less than an hour, maybe much less.

    This QuickRestore, to "factory", from the CDs, is far more involved than
    the one from the D: partition. I don't really want to do it again. So
    many reboots! And I may have left some out in the notes! There is a lot
    to like about Compaq, but QuickRestore from CD's is not one of them...
    well, it did work, though. I hope I haven't given away a big secret.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    | Hi All,
    |
    | I was told that it is better to format your c:-drive prior to do a
    | re-install of Windows.
    | Is this true?
    |
    | I have a Compaq Presario, model 7450/7460. Windows 98 SE and it came
    with
    | so called "Quick Restore" cd's.
    |
    | What are the steps to take for a Format of your hard drive anyways?
    |
    | I saw an article on Microsoft which is for Windows XP
    | (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348) and
    that
    | worried me a bit, since the person telling me made it sound soo simple
    and
    | it probably is... but I rather double-check before getting into a big
    mess.

    | Do I need to check all these things mentioned in the article for W98
    as
    | well??
    | For one how can I check the BIOS settings...??
    |
    | Appreciate any advice in this matter!
    |
    | Thanks in advance,
    | Ellen

    Hi Richard,

    first of all thanks for your reply!

    I have done a Quick restore actually on that the W98 PC last week after 5-6
    years, not being aware of this "format" thingy.
    I do not recall seeing an option to reformat the hard disk.... then again
    I just accepted the default options...

    I guess I will leave that PC as it is right now and pay more attention to
    it, a next time. Is there a way to tell if it did a reformat??

    Just curious... I have 2 Toshiba Laptops and I need to re-install Windows
    on one, do you know if they have a "non-proprietary" installation (whatever
    that means `Worried look~)??

    Thanks,
    Ellen

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > first of all thanks for your reply!
    >
    > I have done a Quick restore actually on that the W98 PC last week after 5-6
    > years, not being aware of this "format" thingy.
    > I do not recall seeing an option to reformat the hard disk.... then again
    > I just accepted the default options...
    >
    > I guess I will leave that PC as it is right now and pay more attention to
    > it, a next time. Is there a way to tell if it did a reformat??
    >
    > Just curious... I have 2 Toshiba Laptops and I need to re-install Windows
    > on one, do you know if they have a "non-proprietary" installation (whatever
    > that means `Worried look~)??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ellen
    >
    > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > > With your Compaq, you need to use the Restore Disk and follow it's
    > > instructions.
    > > One of the options in the restore will reformat your C drive for you in a
    > > format that Compaq approves (There may be a hidden partition required and
    > > only the Restore disk will do that.)
    > >
    > > The instructions you were referring to from Microsoft assume you have a
    > > non-proprietary installation. This is not the case for either Compaq or
    > > HP machines.
    > >
    > > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message

    Remember, that when you do a 'format', you lose ALL the info and programs on
    that drive. The restore disk then puts back the 'original' programs that are on
    its disk.
    If you just reinstall Windows on top of itself, the other programs, etc on that
    drive, are not ususlly removed.
    A fresh install on a formatted disk is usually preferred if you are having many
    problems that can't be fixed otherwise.

    No, Toshiba laptops don't, as I recall, use "Proprietary" restore disks.
    They use generic OEM versions of Windows. But you *do* want to make sure
    you have all of the required hardware drivers on hand before starting
    the procedure.

    "Proprietary" in this case simply means that the manufacturer altered
    the original Windows installation program to insert programs and
    hardware drivers of its own. In the case of Compaq, a "normal" or
    "generic OEM" installation CD won't work satisfactorily, since they did
    some really screwy things that put functions on the hard drive that are
    normally handled by hardware, or ROM chips on the motherboard, not
    software on the HD..

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > first of all thanks for your reply!
    >
    > I have done a Quick restore actually on that the W98 PC last week
    after 5-6
    > years, not being aware of this "format" thingy.
    > I do not recall seeing an option to reformat the hard disk.... then
    again
    > I just accepted the default options...
    >
    > I guess I will leave that PC as it is right now and pay more attention
    > it, a next time. Is there a way to tell if it did a reformat??
    >
    > Just curious... I have 2 Toshiba Laptops and I need to re-install
    Windows
    > on one, do you know if they have a "non-proprietary" installation
    (whatever
    > that means `Worried look~)??
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ellen
    >
    > "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > > With your Compaq, you need to use the Restore Disk and follow it's
    > > instructions.
    > > One of the options in the restore will reformat your C drive for you
    in a
    > > format that Compaq approves (There may be a hidden partition
    required and
    > > only the Restore disk will do that.)
    > >
    > > The instructions you were referring to from Microsoft assume you
    have a
    > > non-proprietary installation. This is not the case for either
    Compaq or
    > > HP machines.
    > >
    > > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    > >> Hi All,
    > >>
    > >> I was told that it is better to format your c:-drive prior to do a
    > >> re-install of Windows.
    > >> Is this true?
    > >>
    > >> I have a Compaq Presario, model 7450/7460. Windows 98 SE and it
    came
    > >> with so called "Quick Restore" cd's.
    > >>
    > >> What are the steps to take for a Format of your hard drive anyways?
    > >>
    > >> I saw an article on Microsoft which is for Windows XP
    > >> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348)
    and that
    > >> worried me a bit, since the person telling me made it sound soo
    simple
    > >> and it probably is... but I rather double-check before getting into
    a big
    > >> mess.
    > >>
    > >> Do I need to check all these things mentioned in the article for
    W98 as
    > >> well??
    > >> For one how can I check the BIOS settings...??
    > >>
    > >> Appreciate any advice in this matter!
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >> Ellen

    Thanks Buffola,

    this makes sense... what you tell me.

    I only now confused by people telling me that part of the quick restore of
    W98 is the format..

    Ellen.

    > I only now confused by people telling me that part of the quick restore of
    > W98 is the format..

    It is simple.
    1. Standard Win98 has no RESTORE application.
    A couple of its apps have / Restore options but that
    is different. (XP has a RESTORE app but this newsgroup
    is for Win98 only; there are others for XP.)
    2. Customized Win98 (certain brands, possibly most
    laptops) may have an app called RESTORE. If so it
    is designed to reload a (custom) installation from CD
    without wiping data files you may have previously created.
    3. FORMAT wipes all files: thus could not possibly
    be part of any competent Custom Restore routine.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    >
    > > I only now confused by people telling me that part of the quick
    restore of
    > > W98 is the format..
    >
    > It is simple.
    > 1. Standard Win98 has no RESTORE application.
    > A couple of its apps have / Restore options but that
    > is different. (XP has a RESTORE app but this newsgroup
    > is for Win98 only; there are others for XP.)
    > 2. Customized Win98 (certain brands, possibly most
    > laptops) may have an app called RESTORE. If so it
    > is designed to reload a (custom) installation from CD
    > without wiping data files you may have previously created.

    That is *not* always true!

    > 3. FORMAT wipes all files: thus could not possibly
    > be part of any competent Custom Restore routine.

    You would think that this was the case, but again, that is *not* always
    true. Many vendors do not provide an "overinstall" "Restore" function.
    It's all or nothing. Hell, *some* "Restore" CDs simply wipe the entire
    drive, partitions and all, and restore an Image.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Well Gary,

    I am all confused now maybe also because of the translation to my own
    language and getting late here.

    I think for the Windows XP laptop (Toshiba), I just go ahead with placing
    the "Recovery CD" Or "Quick Restore CD" in the laptop and proceed.
    If I am correct and understood things right, this should format the c:-drive
    and I guess I got worried about nothing here...

    And if the W98 PC, I should be covered too, if I am correct...

    Thanks,
    ~Confused~ Ellen

    > No, Toshiba laptops don't, as I recall, use "Proprietary" restore disks.
    > They use generic OEM versions of Windows. But you *do* want to make sure
    > you have all of the required hardware drivers on hand before starting
    > the procedure.
    >
    > "Proprietary" in this case simply means that the manufacturer altered
    > the original Windows installation program to insert programs and
    > hardware drivers of its own. In the case of Compaq, a "normal" or
    > "generic OEM" installation CD won't work satisfactorily, since they did
    > some really screwy things that put functions on the hard drive that are
    > normally handled by hardware, or ROM chips on the motherboard, not
    > software on the HD..
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> first of all thanks for your reply!
    >>
    >> I have done a Quick restore actually on that the W98 PC last week
    > after 5-6
    >> years, not being aware of this "format" thingy.
    >> I do not recall seeing an option to reformat the hard disk.... then
    > again
    >> I just accepted the default options...
    >>
    >> I guess I will leave that PC as it is right now and pay more attention
    >> it, a next time. Is there a way to tell if it did a reformat??
    >>
    >> Just curious... I have 2 Toshiba Laptops and I need to re-install
    > Windows
    >> on one, do you know if they have a "non-proprietary" installation
    > (whatever
    >> that means `Worried look~)??
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ellen
    >>
    >> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    >> > With your Compaq, you need to use the Restore Disk and follow it's
    >> > instructions.
    >> > One of the options in the restore will reformat your C drive for you
    > in a
    >> > format that Compaq approves (There may be a hidden partition
    > required and
    >> > only the Restore disk will do that.)
    >> >
    >> > The instructions you were referring to from Microsoft assume you
    > have a
    >> > non-proprietary installation. This is not the case for either
    > Compaq or
    >> > HP machines.
    >> >
    >> > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message

    > came

    > and that
    > simple
    > a big

    > W98 as

    These "Restore" CDs all vary as to what they do and what they don't,
    what options are presented, etc. The main concern with Restore CDs is
    that you back up your data, since some of them not only reformat prior
    to reinstalling, they actually repartition the entire hard drive. Only
    by sitting in from of the system and looking at what's there can anyone
    tell you exactly what you have (except the tech support people from the
    companies themselves, and even then...) We're simply making educated
    guesses based upon prior experience, and *nobody* can possibly have seen
    all there is to see in the computer world. There are simply too many
    variations available.

    As for the Toshibas, I was under the impression you were talking only
    about older machines with Windows 98. I don't know how they have done
    things in newer systems. The older ones didn't have "proprietary"
    installation CDs. Windows 98 Setup normally *doesn't* have
    reformat/repartition options, you have to use a Windows Startup floppy
    disk to perform those chores. Again, you can only tell what you have by
    looking at what you have. Windows XP Setup normally includes
    repartitioning and reformatting options. I don't know what Toshiba may
    have done to change any of those procedures.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Well Gary,
    >
    > I am all confused now maybe also because of the translation to my own
    > language and getting late here.
    >
    > I think for the Windows XP laptop (Toshiba), I just go ahead with
    placing
    > the "Recovery CD" Or "Quick Restore CD" in the laptop and proceed.
    > If I am correct and understood things right, this should format the
    c:-drive
    > and I guess I got worried about nothing here...
    >
    > And if the W98 PC, I should be covered too, if I am correct...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ~Confused~ Ellen

    > > No, Toshiba laptops don't, as I recall, use "Proprietary" restore
    disks.
    > > They use generic OEM versions of Windows. But you *do* want to make
    sure
    > > you have all of the required hardware drivers on hand before
    starting
    > > the procedure.
    > >
    > > "Proprietary" in this case simply means that the manufacturer
    altered
    > > the original Windows installation program to insert programs and
    > > hardware drivers of its own. In the case of Compaq, a "normal" or
    > > "generic OEM" installation CD won't work satisfactorily, since they
    did
    > > some really screwy things that put functions on the hard drive that
    are
    > > normally handled by hardware, or ROM chips on the motherboard, not
    > > software on the HD..
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Richard,
    > >>
    > >> first of all thanks for your reply!
    > >>
    > >> I have done a Quick restore actually on that the W98 PC last week
    > > after 5-6
    > >> years, not being aware of this "format" thingy.
    > >> I do not recall seeing an option to reformat the hard disk....
    then
    > > again
    > >> I just accepted the default options...
    > >>
    > >> I guess I will leave that PC as it is right now and pay more
    attention
    > >> it, a next time. Is there a way to tell if it did a reformat??
    > >>
    > >> Just curious... I have 2 Toshiba Laptops and I need to re-install
    > > Windows
    > >> on one, do you know if they have a "non-proprietary" installation
    > > (whatever
    > >> that means `Worried look~)??
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Ellen
    > >>
    > >> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > > in a
    > > required and

    > > have a
    > > Compaq or

    > > came

    > > and that
    > > simple
    > > a big

    > > W98 as

    Hi Gary,

    thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion.

    I have 2 Toshiba laptops both with windows XP.
    One is only 3 months old, I had to do a "Quick Restore" on it after Norton
    messed up my system big time and the person in the store told me I only need
    to put the CD in the machine and voila. This is what I did after making a
    backup of all my data. I do not recall an option about formatting the
    c:-drive, so I have no clue what it does or doesn't. I just know it worked
    and solved my problems. I just asked the question since some people told
    me it is better to do a format and I do not want to go ahead and cause more
    damage then necessary... if that makes sense.

    On the second laptop, the older one, I need to do a re-install since my ISP
    told me so ---> became an Open Relay they told me. And I had scheduled to do
    this, this week...

    Not thinking further, I did similar process for the Desktop we have, which
    is a Compaq with W98 SE. I backed up all the data on a CD and put the CD
    in the disk-drive for the quick restore and accepted the options provided. I
    do not recall seeing something specific about a format, but then again maybe
    this is not told/presented as an option..

    I have asked the question in a Toshiba Forum today about the format,
    including the model I have, but no reply yet.
    If no reply by tomorrow morning, I just go ahead with the Quick restore as I
    am "used too" and I will figure it out later if a format was required.

    Are there ways to tell if there is "old stuff" on the hard disk from prior
    the re-install?

    Thanks in advance for your reply and patience!

    Ellen

> [...]
    >> > No, Toshiba laptops don't, as I recall, use "Proprietary" restore
    > disks.
    >> > They use generic OEM versions of Windows. But you *do* want to make
    > sure
    >> > you have all of the required hardware drivers on hand before
    > starting
    >> > the procedure.
    >> >
    >> > "Proprietary" in this case simply means that the manufacturer
    > altered
    >> > the original Windows installation program to insert programs and
    >> > hardware drivers of its own. In the case of Compaq, a "normal" or
    >> > "generic OEM" installation CD won't work satisfactorily, since they
    > did
    >> > some really screwy things that put functions on the hard drive that
    > are
    >> > normally handled by hardware, or ROM chips on the motherboard, not

    Simple: You will find personal files and/or applications that you
    installed after you bought the system. Reformatting, or using a "Quick
    Restore" that either reformats and reinstalls, or restores an "Image"
    (clone) of the original system will not keep *any* of your own files. It
    will look exactly like it did the day you unpacked it (the file system,
    that is.)

    I'm sorry, I'd like to give you more detailed advice, but it's sometimes
    hard to know exactly what mechanism a manufacturer's "restore" does even
    when you're looking right at it. They "idiot-proof" these things and it
    can be difficult to know for sure how much they "do for you".

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
    > > repartitioning and reformatting options. I don't know what Toshiba
    may
    > > have done to change any of those procedures.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Ellen" <e.denan@hone.xp> wrote in message
    > >> Well Gary,
    > >>
    > >> I am all confused now maybe also because of the translation to my
    own
    > >> language and getting late here.
    > >>
    > >> I think for the Windows XP laptop (Toshiba), I just go ahead with
    > > placing
    > >> the "Recovery CD" Or "Quick Restore CD" in the laptop and proceed.
    > >> If I am correct and understood things right, this should format the
    > > c:-drive
    > >> and I guess I got worried about nothing here...
    > >>
    > >> And if the W98 PC, I should be covered too, if I am correct...

Format Microsoft Windows