Startup Menu on bootup

W98, P133
I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
screens I see on bootup.

The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
starts normally.

How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?

TIA
46 answers Last reply
More about startup menu bootup

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bd880F6h2v6pU1@individual.net...
    > W98, P133
    > I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    > screens I see on bootup.
    >
    > The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
    > Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
    > the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
    > starts normally.
    >
    > How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    >
    > TIA

    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

    "BootMenu=Boolean
    Default: 0
    Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bd880F6h2v6pU1@individual.net...
    >
    >>W98, P133
    >>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    >>screens I see on bootup.
    >>
    >>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
    >>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
    >>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
    >>starts normally.
    >>
    >>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    >
    > "BootMenu=Boolean
    > Default: 0
    > Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

    Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.
    ---------------------
    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    ;
    ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    snip
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    DoubleBuffer=1
    AutoScan=1
    WinVer=4.10.2222
    orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
    BootMenu=1

    I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?

    Advice?

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdprdF6b1smeU1@individual.net...
    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>W98, P133
    > >>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    > >>screens I see on bootup.
    > >>
    > >>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
    > >>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
    > >>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment,
    W98
    > >>starts normally.
    > >>
    > >>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    > >>
    > >>TIA
    > >

    > > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579/EN-US/
    > >
    > > "BootMenu=Boolean
    > > Default: 0
    > > Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

    The above documentation is stating (rather obtusely)
    that there are 2 valid values for the BootMenu parameter

    BootMenu=0
    and
    BootMenu=1

    > Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.

    Yes, it is.

    > ---------------------
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    >
    > [Options]
    > BootMulti=1
    > BootGUI=1
    > ;
    > ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    > ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    > snip
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    > DoubleBuffer=1
    > AutoScan=1
    > WinVer=4.10.2222
    > orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
    > BootMenu=1
    >
    > I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?

    It is OK IF you want the Menu. You don't.

    > Advice?

    Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
    in the KB article (I gave you the link)

    ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:

    >W98, P133
    >I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    >screens I see on bootup.
    >
    >The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
    >Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
    >the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
    >starts normally.
    >
    >How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    >
    >TIA

    Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
    On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
    In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
    and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
    >

    >>W98, P133
    >>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    >>screens I see on bootup.
    >>
    >>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
    >>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
    >>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
    >>starts normally.
    >>
    >>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
    > On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
    > In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
    > and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
    In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
    But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
    I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.

    But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
    startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.

    Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?

    And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I know
    from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.

    I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.

    Comment on the above?

    TIA

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdqovF6dgkt6U1@individual.net...
    > Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
    > In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
    > But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
    > I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
    >
    > But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
    > startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.

    *Note: If you have user profiles this will not work as stated in the article and
    you will have to perform the steps in the link provided in the article for user
    profiles.

    How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q152104

    It has also been advised that you do not use the article Q135586, which has a
    link included in the article. Its purpose is "to clear the User Name logon box
    so it is blank each time you start Windows", it is not meant to prevent the
    logon box from prompting you for a name/password.
    Instead if you have TweakUI installed, check to make sure the "Clear Last User
    At Logon" check box is not checked. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel,
    double click Tweak UI, click the Paranoia tab, if the box is checked, uncheck
    it.

    > Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?

    Normal unless you are tshooting and need easy access to the menu.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    <>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

    > And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I
    > know from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.

    Not at all...

    Control Panel
    Network
    Configuration tab
    Select "Windows Logon" for "Primary Network Logon"

    If for some reason that is not an available choice (should be since
    apparently you used it before)...
    Add
    Client
    Add
    Microsoft

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    ms wrote:
    > Ron Martell wrote:
    >
    >> ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> W98, P133
    >>> I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
    >>> screens I see on bootup.
    >>>
    >>> The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the
    >>> default Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the
    >>> last half of the startup options and several lines of DOS commands.
    >>> After a moment, W98 starts normally.
    >>>
    >>> How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>

    >> Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
    >> On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
    >> In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
    >> and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >

    > Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
    > In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
    > But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or
    > similar).
    > I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
    >
    > But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled
    > on startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.
    >
    > Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?
    >
    > And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I
    > know from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.
    >
    > I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.
    >
    > Comment on the above?
    >
    > TIA
    Thanks to all. I will save the data for next time.
    Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the previous
    user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.
    On my normal P166, several years ago, it took trying about 5-6 of the usual
    password fixes to just get the password screen to flash, so I live with that.

    On the P133, it still has a DOS screen- in the other thread.

    BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
    remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen that I
    can remove it.

    Comment?

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdprdF6b1smeU1@individual.net...
    >
    >>Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >>
    >>>"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message

    > W98

    >>>Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579/EN-US/
    >>>
    >>>"BootMenu=Boolean
    >>>Default: 0
    >>>Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."
    >>>

    > The above documentation is stating (rather obtusely)
    > that there are 2 valid values for the BootMenu parameter
    >
    > BootMenu=0
    > and
    > BootMenu=1
    >
    >>Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.
    >

    > Yes, it is.
    >

    >>---------------------
    >>[Paths]
    >>WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >>WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    >>HostWinBootDrv=C
    >>
    >>[Options]
    >>BootMulti=1
    >>BootGUI=1
    >>;
    >>;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    >>;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    >>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    >>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    >>snip
    >>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    >>DoubleBuffer=1
    >>AutoScan=1
    >>WinVer=4.10.2222
    >>orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
    >>BootMenu=1
    >>
    >>I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?
    >

    > It is OK IF you want the Menu. You don't.
    >
    >>Advice?
    >

    > Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
    > in the KB article (I gave you the link)

    Thanks for the info.
    After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters and
    root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
    --------------------
    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    ;
    ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb snip
    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bfpqkF6et1ueU1@individual.net...

    > Thanks for the info.
    > After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters and
    > root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
    > --------------------
    > [Paths]
    > WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    > HostWinBootDrv=C
    >
    > [Options]
    > BootMulti=1
    > BootGUI=1
    > ;
    > ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
    > ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    snip
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
    > ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    > DoubleBuffer=1
    > AutoScan=1
    > WinVer=4.10.2222
    >
    > Advice?

    Regarding what?

    ms wants to stop the Boot Menu from loading, Hugh, appears to have
    missed the intent in your previous posts.

    Change BootMenu=1 to BootMenu=0.

    Note: You have to remove the Read-Only attribute from MSDOS.SYS before
    editing, and restore the R/O attribute after you've saved the file. Do
    that in file properties.

    But you can also do this in the Advanced section of MSCONFIG.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    ms wrote:

    > BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
    > remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen
    > that I can remove it.

    Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.

    > Comment?

    Some snipping would be appreciated.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >

    >>BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
    >>remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen
    >>that I can remove it.
    >

    > Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.

    Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?

    >>Comment?
    >

    > Some snipping would be appreciated.

    I understand, but in this ng, I notice not much snipping, maybe the poster
    wants to keep the thread of his previous comments?

    ms wrote:
    ..
    > Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the
    > previous user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.

    That's kinda like using a shovel to swat a mosquito.

    Your password files aren't part of the registry, btw.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    > .
    >
    >>Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the
    >>previous user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.
    >

    > That's kinda like using a shovel to swat a mosquito.
    >
    > Your password files aren't part of the registry, btw.

    I meant that each computer may act differently. With same OS, this P133
    acts differently as noted above than my P166.

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > ms wants to stop the Boot Menu from loading, Hugh, appears to have
    > missed the intent in your previous posts.

    Yes, that's correct.

    > Change BootMenu=1 to BootMenu=0.

    Look in my last reply, where I copied the contents of msdos.sys.
    I don't see BootMenu in it??

    I sse BootGUI, is that the same thing?

    Thanks

    My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.

    Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
    Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know about
    the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?

    Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on the
    screen by adding a line at the *beginning* of Autoexec.bat:

    @ECHO OFF

    However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
    Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
    remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from being
    executed.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    ms wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> ms wrote:
    >>

    >>> BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how
    >>> to remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any
    >>> screen that I can remove it.
    >>

    >> Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.
    >>
    > Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?

    Yes it does. Did you try?

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >> dadiOH wrote:

    >>> Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.
    >>>
    >> Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?
    >
    > Yes it does. Did you try?

    Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't get
    a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump them
    there.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    dadiOH wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >
    >>ms wrote:

    >>>Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?
    >>
    >>Yes it does. Did you try?
    >

    > Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't get
    > a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump them
    > there.

    It does not. I put the mouse cursor in the item, rightclick and nothing, in
    both my P166 and P133, both W98SE. Exactly where is your cursor when you
    rightclick and see a delete option?

    I do get the normal context menu- Control panel, Startup menu, etc. when
    the cursor is to the right of the Start Menu. In Startup Menu, and
    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu, I don't see this item. That is why I posted. It is
    something someone added as an extra entry- Logoff...

    Advice?

    Mike Sa
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Miscommunication is the problem here. You posted asking about the
    "Startup" menu, which is really a folder in the Start\Programs menu.

    The Start menu reflects, *in_part*, the folder C:\Windows\Start. The
    upper menu in the Start menu is comprised of shortcuts in the
    above-mentioned folder. The "Programs" menu is a sub-folder in
    C:\Windows\Start. The "Startup" folder is a sub-folder of
    C:\Windows\Start\Programs.

    When you start talking about the lower portion of the Start menu, those
    derive from various places. The "Log Off [username}" menu option is
    there by default. To keep it from being shown, you need to employ a
    Registry hack. If it was not there previously, but is there now, someone
    must have undone the hack. You fix it by changing the value named
    "NoLogOff" from 0 to 1 in:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    Note: If the value doesn't exist, create it. It's a DWord..

    If you are not familiar with the Registry, find someone who is, or email
    me for a REG file to do it for you.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > dadiOH wrote:
    > > dadiOH wrote:

    > >>Yes it does. Did you try?
    > >

    > > Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't
    get
    > > a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump
    them
    > > there.
    > >
    > It does not. I put the mouse cursor in the item, rightclick and
    nothing, in
    > both my P166 and P133, both W98SE. Exactly where is your cursor when
    you
    > rightclick and see a delete option?
    >
    > I do get the normal context menu- Control panel, Startup menu, etc.
    when
    > the cursor is to the right of the Start Menu. In Startup Menu, and
    > C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu, I don't see this item. That is why I posted. It
    is
    > something someone added as an extra entry- Logoff...
    >
    > Advice?
    >
    > Mike Sa
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.
    >
    > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
    > Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know about
    > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
    >
    > Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on the
    > screen by adding a line at the *beginning* of Autoexec.bat:
    >
    > @ECHO OFF
    >
    > However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
    > Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
    > remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from being
    > executed.

    Gary, I did as Ron Martell suggested. That autocorrected msdos.sys AFAIK,
    because the Startup Menu never came back.
    The first boot after that, no Startup Menu or DOS screen anymore. After the
    next cold boot, the DOS screen is back after the Windows GUI, a pause, then
    Windows starts normally. This will be my wife's computer, want it to be as
    normal as possible.

    As of now, I personally haven't:
    > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
    > Menu from appearing every boot, correct?
    The above must have done it.

    >And now you want to know about
    > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
    Correct.

    So, it would be desirable to eliminate the blank screen if possible.

    With the above, advice?

    TIA
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, as far as I'm concerned, what you and your wife are seeing *is*
    normal, <s>. Either autoexec.bat commands or a blank screen.

    What do you expect to see during that time? Remember, this all occurs
    *before* Windows actually starts and the logo appears.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.
    > >
    > > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the
    Startup
    > > Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know
    about
    > > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
    > >
    > > Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on
    the
    > > screen by adding a line at the *beginnin gofAutoexec.zl3
    > >
    > > @ECHO OFF
    > >
    > > However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
    > > Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
    > > remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from
    being
    > > executed.
    > >
    > Gary, I did as Ron Martell suggested. That autocorrected msdos.sys
    AFAIK,
    > because the Startup Menu never came back.
    > The first boot after that, no Startup Menu or DOS screen anymore.
    After the
    > next cold boot, the DOS screen is back after the Windows GUI, a pause,
    then
    > Windows starts normally. This will be my wife's computer, want it to
    be as
    > normal as possible.
    >
    > As of now, I personally haven't:
    > > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the
    Startup
    > > Menu from appearing every boot, correct?
    > The above must have done it.
    >
    > >And now you want to know about
    > > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
    > Correct.
    >
    > So, it would be desirable to eliminate the blank screen if possible.
    >
    > With the above, advice?
    >
    > TIA
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
    | Hugh Candlin wrote:
    | > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
    ....snip

    | > W98

    ....snip
    | >>Advice?
    | >

    | > Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
    | > in the KB article (I gave you the link)
    | >
    | Thanks for the info.
    | After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters
    and
    | root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
    | --------------------
    | [Paths]
    | WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    | WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    | HostWinBootDrv=C
    |
    | [Options]
    | BootMulti=1
    | BootGUI=1
    | ;
    | ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other
    programs.
    | ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
    snip

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

    ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
    | DoubleBuffer=1
    | AutoScan=1
    | WinVer=4.10.2222
    |
    | Advice?

    Take those three lines at the bottom, & MOVE them up over the filler
    "xxx..." lines, for aesthetics' sake. Keep them in the [Options]
    section, though. Also, you may delete the "BootMulti=1" line, as that is
    the default setting...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
    ......Quote............
    • BootMulti=Boolean
    Default: 1
    Purpose: A setting of 0 disables the multi-boot option. (For example,
    with a setting of 0 you cannot boot your previous operating system.) A
    setting of 1 enables the F4 and F8 keys to boot your previous operating
    system.
    ......EOQ..............

    If you still have unwanted DOS lines, perhaps... START button, Run,
    SysEdit... & post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Well, as far as I'm concerned, what you and your wife are seeing *is*
    > normal, <s>. Either autoexec.bat commands or a blank screen.
    >
    > What do you expect to see during that time? Remember, this all occurs
    > *before* Windows actually starts and the logo appears.

    Thanks for clarification in your posts.
    I recognize the BIOS screen, this is later.
    I'm used to W98SE on my P166, so this P133 W98SE is different. In the P133,
    I get the logo (the Windows picture?), a pause, the DOS screen, then the
    desktop finally appears as Windows starts. So what's abnormal to me is I
    see the loge and *then* I see the DOS screen.

    Comment?
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:

    >Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
    >In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
    >But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
    >I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
    >
    >But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
    > startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.
    >
    >Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?
    >
    >And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I know
    >from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.
    >
    >I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.
    >
    >Comment on the above?
    >
    >TIA

    The password screen at bootup is triggered by your network settings.

    Open Control Panel - Networks and change the logon setting to "Windows
    Logon". It is probably now set to "Client for Microsoft Networks".

    Note: You might also have to locate and rename/delete your password
    control file(s). Search for .PWL files if you need to do this.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
    >>In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
    >>But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
    >>I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
    >>
    >>But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
    >> startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.
    >>
    >>Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?
    >>
    >>And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I know
    >
    >>from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.
    >
    >>I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.
    >>
    >>Comment on the above?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > The password screen at bootup is triggered by your network settings.
    >
    > Open Control Panel - Networks and change the logon setting to "Windows
    > Logon". It is probably now set to "Client for Microsoft Networks".
    >
    > Note: You might also have to locate and rename/delete your password
    > control file(s). Search for .PWL files if you need to do this.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    Thanks, Ron, the password issue solved, as in my other reply.

    Sorry to see in your sig that Alex Nichol passed away. He was a very nice
    and helpful person when I posted in a comp.W95 newsgroup years ago.

    Mike Sa
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Miscommunication is the problem here. You posted asking about the
    > "Startup" menu, which is really a folder in the Start\Programs menu.
    >
    > The Start menu reflects, *in_part*, the folder C:\Windows\Start. The
    > upper menu in the Start menu is comprised of shortcuts in the
    > above-mentioned folder. The "Programs" menu is a sub-folder in
    > C:\Windows\Start. The "Startup" folder is a sub-folder of
    > C:\Windows\Start\Programs.
    >
    > When you start talking about the lower portion of the Start menu, those
    > derive from various places. The "Log Off [username}" menu option is
    > there by default. To keep it from being shown, you need to employ a
    > Registry hack. If it was not there previously, but is there now, someone
    > must have undone the hack. You fix it by changing the value named
    > "NoLogOff" from 0 to 1 in:
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > Note: If the value doesn't exist, create it. It's a DWord..
    >
    > If you are not familiar with the Registry, find someone who is, or email
    > me for a REG file to do it for you.

    Gary, thanks for clarifying that.
    Not expert, but I am used to removing programs from registry, and searching
    for a key. Regseeker is very good for this.

    But this key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    I checked in my P166 registry, there are 5 instances of this key.
    BTW, no LogOff tab in my Start menu.

    The key does not exist in the P133 registry. I even backed off to:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Still no key.

    Creating a NEW key....I'll pass on that for now. So I may have to live with
    the extra tab.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of Autoexec.bat. After
    that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on each
    machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project for the
    meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you can
    actually do anything about.

    Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence as
    you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and that
    there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and all
    hers, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Well, as far as I'm concerned, what you and your wife are seeing
    *is*
    > > normal, <s>. Either autoexec.bat commands or a blank screen.
    > >
    > > What do you expect to see during that time? Remember, this all
    occurs
    > > *before* Windows actually starts and the logo appears.
    > >
    > Thanks for clarification in your posts.
    > I recognize the BIOS screen, this is later.
    > I'm used to W98SE on my P166, so this P133 W98SE is different. In the
    P133,
    > I get the logo (the Windows picture?), a pause, the DOS screen, then
    the
    > desktop finally appears as Windows starts. So what's abnormal to me is
    > see the loge and *then* I see the DOS screen.
    >
    > Comment?

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    There *can't* be five instances of
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    lorer

    There may be similar keys, but only *one* of that specific key. And the
    Value might actually work if placed in a similar location in another
    Hive, such as the one in HKEY_Local_Machine or HKEY_Users\Default. But
    those aren't the *right* places to put it.

    I'm not clear on what you *do* have on the "problem machine". Is that no
    Key named:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    lorer
    or is there no Key named:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

    If you're double sure about this, there's no reason not to create them.
    And, like I said, if you want me to email you a REG file to do it, just
    email me at grystnews@mvps.org

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:

    > Gary, thanks for clarifying that.
    > Not expert, but I am used to removing programs from registry, and
    searching
    > for a key. Regseeker is very good for this.
    >
    > But this key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > I checked in my P166 registry, there are 5 instances of this key.
    > BTW, no LogOff tab in my Start menu.
    >
    > The key does not exist in the P133 registry. I even backed off to:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    > Still no key.
    >
    > Creating a NEW key....I'll pass on that for now. So I may have to live
    with
    > the extra tab.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Better yet, get the fix here:
    http://dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/logoff.htm

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Miscommunication is the problem here. You posted asking about the
    > > "Startup" menu, which is really a folder in the Start\Programs menu.
    > >
    > > The Start menu reflects, *in_part*, the folder C:\Windows\Start. The
    > > upper menu in the Start menu is comprised of shortcuts in the
    > > above-mentioned folder. The "Programs" menu is a sub-folder in
    > > C:\Windows\Start. The "Startup" folder is a sub-folder of
    > > C:\Windows\Start\Programs.
    > >
    > > When you start talking about the lower portion of the Start menu,
    those
    > > derive from various places. The "Log Off [username}" menu option is
    > > there by default. To keep it from being shown, you need to employ a
    > > Registry hack. If it was not there previously, but is there now,
    someone
    > > must have undone the hack. You fix it by changing the value named
    > > "NoLogOff" from 0 to 1 in:
    > >
    > > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > >
    > > Note: If the value doesn't exist, create it. It's a DWord..
    > >
    > > If you are not familiar with the Registry, find someone who is, or
    email
    > > me for a REG file to do it for you.
    > >
    > Gary, thanks for clarifying that.
    > Not expert, but I am used to removing programs from registry, and
    searching
    > for a key. Regseeker is very good for this.
    >
    > But this key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > I checked in my P166 registry, there are 5 instances of this key.
    > BTW, no LogOff tab in my Start menu.
    >
    > The key does not exist in the P133 registry. I even backed off to:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    > Still no key.
    >
    > Creating a NEW key....I'll pass on that for now. So I may have to live
    with
    > the extra tab.
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:

    >Sorry to see in your sig that Alex Nichol passed away. He was a very nice
    >and helpful person when I posted in a comp.W95 newsgroup years ago.
    >
    >Mike Sa

    Thank you for your comments about Alex. For the last 2 years or so he
    was almost exclusively involved on the Windows XP newsgroups. He will
    be greatly misseed.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ms wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> dadiOH wrote:

    >>> Yes it does. Did you try?
    >>

    >> Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't
    >> get a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and
    >> dump them there.
    >>
    > It does not. I put the mouse cursor in the item, rightclick and
    > nothing, in both my P166 and P133, both W98SE. Exactly where is your
    > cursor when you rightclick and see a delete option?
    >
    > I do get the normal context menu- Control panel, Startup menu, etc.
    > when the cursor is to the right of the Start Menu. In Startup Menu,
    > and C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu, I don't see this item. That is why I
    > posted. It is something someone added as an extra entry- Logoff...

    I'm having difficulty following you. Let me try again...

    You click the Start button on the taskbar. A menu pops up. On that
    menu are Programs, Favorites, Settings, Help et al. *Above* those items
    and separated from them there may be additional items, one of which you
    want to remove. Is that correct?

    If it is, select the item, right click and delete.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > There *can't* be five instances of
    > HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    > lorer
    >
    > There may be similar keys, but only *one* of that specific key.
    Right, there are 5 similar keys.

    And the
    > Value might actually work if placed in a similar location in another
    > Hive, such as the one in HKEY_Local_Machine or HKEY_Users\Default. But
    > those aren't the *right* places to put it.
    >

    > I'm not clear on what you *do* have on the "problem machine". Is that no
    > Key named:
    > HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    > lorer
    > or is there no Key named:
    > HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    >
    > If you're double sure about this, there's no reason not to create them.
    > And, like I said, if you want me to email you a REG file to do it, just
    > email me at grystnews@mvps.org

    On the P133, didn't find either of the above keys. I notice the shorthand
    HKCU, I should have spelled it out to search for that key.

    Thanks for the offer, I will email you for it. In your other reply is a fix
    I will try now.

    Thanks for your help.

    Mike Sa
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    dadiOH wrote:

    > I'm having difficulty following you. Let me try again...
    >
    > You click the Start button on the taskbar. A menu pops up. On that
    > menu are Programs, Favorites, Settings, Help et al. *Above* those items
    > and separated from them there may be additional items, one of which you
    > want to remove. Is that correct?
    >
    > If it is, select the item, right click and delete.
    >
    > --
    > dadiOH
    As you can see in the thread, the entry is near the beginning of the Start
    menu, Gary pointed out that the fix is different in this case. At the top
    of the Start menu, I commonly put a shortcut to Windows Explorer, so I'm
    familiar with that technique.

    Thanks for the help.

    Mike Sa
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Better yet, get the fix here:
    > http://dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/logoff.htm

    I have results with it, a puzzle.

    Yesterday, when I shutdown, I had done no fixes yet, the logoff entry was
    still in my Start menu.
    This AM after I booted up, the logoff was gone. ????
    I checked again for the key:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    and it definitely was not present.

    I decided to run the Doug Knox script anyway to be sure. I followed by a
    hot boot, then a cold boot, and logoff is definitely gone. Suppose that key
    is now existing.

    I will look for the registry tool from you for future issues.

    Thanks for the help on this.

    Mike Sa
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of Autoexec.bat. After
    > that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on each
    > machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project for the
    > meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you can
    > actually do anything about.
    >
    > Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence as
    > you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    > prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and that
    > there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and all
    > hers, <s>.

    My autoexec.bat is simply 3 lines, all remm'ed out. I added @ECHO OFF as
    the first line. Did a hot boot, did a cold boot, no luck, screen still
    there. The DOS screen after the logo screen lists 2 kinds of entries: PCI
    device listing, and DMI Pool Data. These are unique to this machine,
    nothing like this (or extra screens) on my P166.

    Comment?

    Mike Sa
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    That's not a "DOS Screen", and has nothing to do with Windows or DOS.
    It's part of the POST cycle and there's *nothing* you can do about it.
    That it appears on your wife's system and not yours is simply due to
    having two different machines. *If* there is anything that will cover
    that info, it's a splash screen that's included by major manufacturers
    and can be disabled/enabled in BIOS.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of Autoexec.zl3. After
    > > that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on
    each
    > > machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project for
    the
    > > meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you
    can
    > > actually do anything about.
    > >
    > > Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence
    as
    > > you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    > > prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and that
    > > there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and all
    > > hers, <s>.
    > >
    > My autoexec.bat is simply 3 lines, all remm'ed out. I added @ECHO OFF
    as
    > the first line. Did a hot boot, did a cold boot, no luck, screen still
    > there. The DOS screen after the logo screen lists 2 kinds of entries:
    PCI
    > device listing, and DMI Pool Data. These are unique to this machine,
    > nothing like this (or extra screens) on my P166.
    >
    > Comment?
    >
    > Mike Sa
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I suspect the manner in which you log on is involved, but it just might
    be some odd anomaly. Suggest you check out the links in my signature.
    (You don't, by chance, have TweakUI or some similar tweaker tool
    installed?)

    Doug Knox's fix is what I would have sent you, more or less (His version
    includes files to turn it off and to turn it on.) I'm not sure what else
    you expected to get from me.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Better yet, get the fix here:
    > > http://dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/logoff.htm
    > >
    > I have results with it, a puzzle.
    >
    > Yesterday, when I shutdown, I had done no fixes yet, the logoff entry
    was
    > still in my Start menu.
    > This AM after I booted up, the logoff was gone. ????
    > I checked again for the key:

    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Exp
    lorer
    > and it definitely was not present.
    >
    > I decided to run the Doug Knox script anyway to be sure. I followed by
    > hot boot, then a cold boot, and logoff is definitely gone. Suppose
    that key
    > is now existing.
    >
    > I will look for the registry tool from you for future issues.
    >
    > Thanks for the help on this.
    >
    > Mike Sa
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > I suspect the manner in which you log on is involved, but it just might
    > be some odd anomaly. Suggest you check out the links in my signature.
    > (You don't, by chance, have TweakUI or some similar tweaker tool
    > installed?)
    >
    > Doug Knox's fix is what I would have sent you, more or less (His version
    > includes files to turn it off and to turn it on.) I'm not sure what else
    > you expected to get from me.

    Yes, Tweakui is installed, used it for years. As mentioned, the Knox fix
    worked and thanks.

    Mike Sa
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    ms wrote:
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >
    >> Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of Autoexec.bat. After
    >> that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on each
    >> machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project for the
    >> meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you can
    >> actually do anything about.
    >>
    >> Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence as
    >> you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    >> prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and that
    >> there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and all
    >> hers, <s>.
    >>
    > My autoexec.bat is simply 3 lines, all remm'ed out. I added @ECHO OFF as
    > the first line. Did a hot boot, did a cold boot, no luck, screen still
    > there. The DOS screen after the logo screen lists 2 kinds of entries:
    > PCI device listing, and DMI Pool Data. These are unique to this machine,
    > nothing like this (or extra screens) on my P166.
    >
    > Comment?
    >
    > Mike Sa
    I saw a screen in DOS format with command lines, appeared to be a DOS format.

    Thanks to all, this computer had several funnies, if this screen is the
    only one left, it's OK.

    Mike Sa
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    As AlmostBob mentioned, there *may* be a "Quick Boot" type option in
    BIOS, but all it does is hide things, and *sometimes* those things can
    be very informational when the machine is acting up.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > ms wrote:
    > > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of A
    utoexec.zl3.After
    > >> that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on
    each
    > >> machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project
    for the
    > >> meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you
    can
    > >> actually do anything about.
    > >>
    > >> Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence
    as
    > >> you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    > >> prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and
    that
    > >> there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and
    all
    > >> hers, <s>.
    > >>
    > > My autoexec.bat is simply 3 lines, all remm'ed out. I added @ECHO
    OFF as
    > > the first line. Did a hot boot, did a cold boot, no luck, screen
    still
    > > there. The DOS screen after the logo screen lists 2 kinds of
    entries:
    > > PCI device listing, and DMI Pool Data. These are unique to this
    machine,
    > > nothing like this (or extra screens) on my P166.
    > >
    > > Comment?
    > >
    > > Mike Sa
    > I saw a screen in DOS format with command lines, appeared to be a DOS
    format.

    > Thanks to all, this computer had several funnies, if this screen is
    the
    > only one left, it's OK.
    >
    > Mike Sa
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    TUI... I hate it.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > I suspect the manner in which you log on is involved, but it just
    might
    > > be some odd anomaly. Suggest you check out the links in my
    signature.
    > > (You don't, by chance, have TweakUI or some similar tweaker tool
    > > installed?)
    > >
    > > Doug Knox's fix is what I would have sent you, more or less (His
    version
    > > includes files to turn it off and to turn it on.) I'm not sure what
    else
    > > you expected to get from me.
    > >
    > Yes, Tweakui is installed, used it for years. As mentioned, the Knox
    fix
    > worked and thanks.
    >
    > Mike Sa
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > TUI... I hate it.

    Sorry to continue the thread, but your comment a big surprise.

    Please expand on why you don't like Tweakui, always thought it was not only
    very helpful, but also safe. (I rarely use IE).

    Mike Sa
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    PCI device listing and DMI pool data are the tail end of the Bios boot,
    check to see if 'fast boot' 'quiet boot' or other words to the same effect
    are enabled you might be able to blank it out. I leave mine on since if the
    DMI pool alters then I usually have done something stupid, and am about to
    fry something (happens often)

    might be better at this point to rename it autoexec.old
    since the pc is booting without autoexec doing anything and it isnt needed
    except to load DOS drivers for old hardware/software which the pc isnt using
    (remmed out)

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bijedF6hapfkU1@individual.net...
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > Well, try the @ECHO OFF line at the beginning of Autoexec.bat. After
    > > that it becomes a case of comparing the entire startup sequence on each
    > > machine and figuring out what the differences are. Not a project for the
    > > meek at heart, nor is it likely to result in a discovery that you can
    > > actually do anything about.
    > >
    > > Frankly, there are about as many variations of the startup sequence as
    > > you can think of, due to many different possible scenarios. I would
    > > prefer to simply explain to your wife that this is the case and that
    > > there's nothing wrong with her startup sequence. It's unique and all
    > > hers, <s>.
    > >
    > My autoexec.bat is simply 3 lines, all remm'ed out. I added @ECHO OFF as
    > the first line. Did a hot boot, did a cold boot, no luck, screen still
    > there. The DOS screen after the logo screen lists 2 kinds of entries: PCI
    > device listing, and DMI Pool Data. These are unique to this machine,
    > nothing like this (or extra screens) on my P166.
    >
    > Comment?
    >
    > Mike Sa
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Tweak UI has a tendency to cause unexpected results. And some of them
    can be difficult or impossible to undo, one example being the "Disable
    IE4" or whatever it is they called it, in Win98 FE.

    Like many other tools and tweakers, TUI can be useful to a pro, but it
    can get the casual user into trouble. In this, as in many other things,
    my preference is to learn the *right* way to do the task instead of
    relying on shortcut mechanisms that simply can't take all contingencies
    into account. For instance, read my Clean Boot article as an example of
    the *right* way to perform regular maintenance on Win98 computers,
    instead of relying on the faulty "Disk Cleanup" tool, or slow as
    molasses Safe Mode, or even tools like GEODisk.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > TUI... I hate it.
    > >
    > Sorry to continue the thread, but your comment a big surprise.
    >
    > Please expand on why you don't like Tweakui, always thought it was not
    only
    > very helpful, but also safe. (I rarely use IE).
    >
    > Mike Sa

Windows