Startup Menu on bootup

ms

W98, P133
I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
screens I see on bootup.

The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
starts normally.

How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?

TIA

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bd880F6h2v6pU1@individual.net...
> W98, P133
> I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
> screens I see on bootup.
>
> The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
> Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
> the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
> starts normally.
>
> How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
>
> TIA

Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

"BootMenu=Boolean
Default: 0
Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

ms

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bd880F6h2v6pU1@individual.net...
>
>>W98, P133
>>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
>>screens I see on bootup.
>>
>>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
>>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
>>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
>>starts normally.
>>
>>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
>
> "BootMenu=Boolean
> Default: 0
> Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.
---------------------
[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
snip
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222
orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
BootMenu=1

I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?

Advice?

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdprdF6b1smeU1@individual.net...
> Hugh Candlin wrote:
> > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>W98, P133
> >>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
> >>screens I see on bootup.
> >>
> >>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
> >>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
> >>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment,
W98
> >>starts normally.
> >>
> >>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >

> > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579/EN-US/
> >
> > "BootMenu=Boolean
> > Default: 0
> > Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."

The above documentation is stating (rather obtusely)
that there are 2 valid values for the BootMenu parameter

BootMenu=0
and
BootMenu=1

> Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.

Yes, it is.

> ---------------------
> [Paths]
> WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
> WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
> HostWinBootDrv=C
>
> [Options]
> BootMulti=1
> BootGUI=1
> ;
> ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
> ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
> snip
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
> DoubleBuffer=1
> AutoScan=1
> WinVer=4.10.2222
> orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
> BootMenu=1
>
> I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?

It is OK IF you want the Menu. You don't.

> Advice?

Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
in the KB article (I gave you the link)

ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:

>W98, P133
>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
>screens I see on bootup.
>
>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
>starts normally.
>
>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
>
>TIA

Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

ms

Ron Martell wrote:
> ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
>

>>W98, P133
>>I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
>>screens I see on bootup.
>>
>>The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the default
>>Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the last half of
>>the startup options and several lines of DOS commands. After a moment, W98
>>starts normally.
>>
>>How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
> On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
> In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
> and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.

But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.

Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?

And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I know
from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.

I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.

Comment on the above?

TIA

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdqovF6dgkt6U1@individual.net...
> Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
> In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
> But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or similar).
> I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
>
> But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled on
> startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.

*Note: If you have user profiles this will not work as stated in the article and
you will have to perform the steps in the link provided in the article for user
profiles.

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q152104

It has also been advised that you do not use the article Q135586, which has a
link included in the article. Its purpose is "to clear the User Name logon box
so it is blank each time you start Windows", it is not meant to prevent the
logon box from prompting you for a name/password.
Instead if you have TweakUI installed, check to make sure the "Clear Last User
At Logon" check box is not checked. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel,
double click Tweak UI, click the Paranoia tab, if the box is checked, uncheck
it.

> Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?

Normal unless you are tshooting and need easy access to the menu.

--

Brian A. Sesko
<>MS MVP<>Shell/User<>

> And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I
> know from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.

Not at all...

Control Panel
Network
Configuration tab
Select "Windows Logon" for "Primary Network Logon"

If for some reason that is not an available choice (should be since
apparently you used it before)...
Add
Client
Add
Microsoft

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

ms wrote:
> Ron Martell wrote:
>
>> ms <ms@nospa.com> wrote:
>>

>>> W98, P133
>>> I acquired this computer, everything seems OK and normal except the
>>> screens I see on bootup.
>>>
>>> The first screen is the Startup Menu. Then, I key Enter at the
>>> default Normal, I see the W98 gui, then I see a DOS screen with the
>>> last half of the startup options and several lines of DOS commands.
>>> After a moment, W98 starts normally.
>>>
>>> How to eliminate the Startup menu at each cold boot?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>

>> Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG.
>> On the General tab click on the Advanced button.
>> In the Advanced window see if the "Show startup menu" item is selected
>> and if so then click on the checkbox to clear it.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>

> Thanks. That pretty much fixed it.
> In the Advanced window, I had to uncheck it.
> But in the General screen, it was on Selected items on startup (or
> similar).
> I changed it to Normal startup. Reboot, the Startup Menu is gone.
>
> But, now I have the password screen, and I see Task Scheduler is enabled
> on startup. I changed back to Selected items, no change.
>
> Which is better, Normal or Selected Items?
>
> And now I will have to start fighting to kill the password screen, I
> know from W98SE on my P166 it is a real dog.
>
> I know how to kill Task Scheduler, it was enabled when I got the computer.
>
> Comment on the above?
>
> TIA
Thanks to all. I will save the data for next time.
Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the previous
user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.
On my normal P166, several years ago, it took trying about 5-6 of the usual
password fixes to just get the password screen to flash, so I live with that.

On the P133, it still has a DOS screen- in the other thread.

BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen that I
can remove it.

Comment?

ms

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bdprdF6b1smeU1@individual.net...
>
>>Hugh Candlin wrote:
>>
>>>"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message

> W98

>>>Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579/EN-US/
>>>
>>>"BootMenu=Boolean
>>>Default: 0
>>>Purpose: A setting of 1 enables the Startup menu."
>>>

> The above documentation is stating (rather obtusely)
> that there are 2 valid values for the BootMenu parameter
>
> BootMenu=0
> and
> BootMenu=1
>
>>Thanks. That line is not in my msdos.sys file.
>

> Yes, it is.
>

>>---------------------
>>[Paths]
>>WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
>>WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
>>HostWinBootDrv=C
>>
>>[Options]
>>BootMulti=1
>>BootGUI=1
>>;
>>;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
>>;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
>>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
>>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
>>snip
>>;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
>>DoubleBuffer=1
>>AutoScan=1
>>WinVer=4.10.2222
>>orig_diag_BootMenu=<nil>
>>BootMenu=1
>>
>>I notice BootMenu= 1, is that OK?
>

> It is OK IF you want the Menu. You don't.
>
>>Advice?
>

> Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
> in the KB article (I gave you the link)

Thanks for the info.
After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters and
root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
--------------------
[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
;
;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb snip
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3bfpqkF6et1ueU1@individual.net...

> Thanks for the info.
> After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters and
> root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
> --------------------
> [Paths]
> WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
> WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
> HostWinBootDrv=C
>
> [Options]
> BootMulti=1
> BootGUI=1
> ;
> ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other programs.
> ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
snip
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
> ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
> DoubleBuffer=1
> AutoScan=1
> WinVer=4.10.2222
>
> Advice?

Regarding what?

ms wants to stop the Boot Menu from loading, Hugh, appears to have
missed the intent in your previous posts.

Change BootMenu=1 to BootMenu=0.

Note: You have to remove the Read-Only attribute from MSDOS.SYS before
editing, and restore the R/O attribute after you've saved the file. Do
that in file properties.

But you can also do this in the Advanced section of MSCONFIG.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

ms wrote:

> BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
> remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen
> that I can remove it.

Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.

> Comment?

Some snipping would be appreciated.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH wrote:
> ms wrote:
>

>>BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how to
>>remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any screen
>>that I can remove it.
>

> Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.

Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?

>>Comment?
>

> Some snipping would be appreciated.

I understand, but in this ng, I notice not much snipping, maybe the poster
wants to keep the thread of his previous comments?

ms wrote:
..
> Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the
> previous user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.

That's kinda like using a shovel to swat a mosquito.

Your password files aren't part of the registry, btw.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH wrote:
> ms wrote:
> .
>
>>Each computer registry is different. Yesterday, I deleted all the
>>previous user pwl files, cold boot today, no password screen at all.
>

> That's kinda like using a shovel to swat a mosquito.
>
> Your password files aren't part of the registry, btw.

I meant that each computer may act differently. With same OS, this P133
acts differently as noted above than my P166.

ms

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> ms wants to stop the Boot Menu from loading, Hugh, appears to have
> missed the intent in your previous posts.

Yes, that's correct.

> Change BootMenu=1 to BootMenu=0.

Look in my last reply, where I copied the contents of msdos.sys.
I don't see BootMenu in it??

I sse BootGUI, is that the same thing?

Thanks

My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.

Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know about
the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?

Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on the
screen by adding a line at the *beginning* of Autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF

However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from being
executed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

ms wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>> ms wrote:
>>

>>> BTW, another issue: I can add a shortcut to the Start Menu, but how
>>> to remove an item? Someone added an item, I don't see it in any
>>> screen that I can remove it.
>>

>> Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.
>>
> Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?

Yes it does. Did you try?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH wrote:
> ms wrote:
>> dadiOH wrote:

>>> Uhhh...right click the item and select delete.
>>>
>> Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?
>
> Yes it does. Did you try?

Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't get
a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump them
there.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>
>>ms wrote:

>>>Nope, this is a item right above Start, rightclick does nothing?
>>
>>Yes it does. Did you try?
>

> Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't get
> a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump them
> there.

It does not. I put the mouse cursor in the item, rightclick and nothing, in
both my P166 and P133, both W98SE. Exactly where is your cursor when you
rightclick and see a delete option?

I do get the normal context menu- Control panel, Startup menu, etc. when
the cursor is to the right of the Start Menu. In Startup Menu, and
C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu, I don't see this item. That is why I posted. It is
something someone added as an extra entry- Logoff...

Advice?

Mike Sa

Miscommunication is the problem here. You posted asking about the
"Startup" menu, which is really a folder in the Start\Programs menu.

The Start menu reflects, *in_part*, the folder C:\Windows\Start. The
upper menu in the Start menu is comprised of shortcuts in the
above-mentioned folder. The "Programs" menu is a sub-folder in
C:\Windows\Start. The "Startup" folder is a sub-folder of
C:\Windows\Start\Programs.

When you start talking about the lower portion of the Start menu, those
derive from various places. The "Log Off [username}" menu option is
there by default. To keep it from being shown, you need to employ a
Registry hack. If it was not there previously, but is there now, someone
must have undone the hack. You fix it by changing the value named
"NoLogOff" from 0 to 1 in:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Note: If the value doesn't exist, create it. It's a DWord..

If you are not familiar with the Registry, find someone who is, or email
me for a REG file to do it for you.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> dadiOH wrote:
> > dadiOH wrote:

> >>Yes it does. Did you try?
> >

> > Better said, yes it *should*. If your box is messed up so you don't
get
> > a context menu there, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu and dump
them
> > there.
> >
> It does not. I put the mouse cursor in the item, rightclick and
nothing, in
> both my P166 and P133, both W98SE. Exactly where is your cursor when
you
> rightclick and see a delete option?
>
> I do get the normal context menu- Control panel, Startup menu, etc.
when
> the cursor is to the right of the Start Menu. In Startup Menu, and
> C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu, I don't see this item. That is why I posted. It
is
> something someone added as an extra entry- Logoff...
>
> Advice?
>
> Mike Sa

ms

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.
>
> Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
> Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know about
> the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
>
> Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on the
> screen by adding a line at the *beginning* of Autoexec.bat:
>
> @ECHO OFF
>
> However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
> Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
> remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from being
> executed.

Gary, I did as Ron Martell suggested. That autocorrected msdos.sys AFAIK,
because the Startup Menu never came back.
The first boot after that, no Startup Menu or DOS screen anymore. After the
next cold boot, the DOS screen is back after the Windows GUI, a pause, then
Windows starts normally. This will be my wife's computer, want it to be as
normal as possible.

As of now, I personally haven't:
> Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the Startup
> Menu from appearing every boot, correct?
The above must have done it.

>And now you want to know about
> the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
Correct.

So, it would be desirable to eliminate the blank screen if possible.

With the above, advice?

TIA

Well, as far as I'm concerned, what you and your wife are seeing *is*
normal, <s>. Either autoexec.bat commands or a blank screen.

What do you expect to see during that time? Remember, this all occurs
*before* Windows actually starts and the logo appears.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > My apologies, I missed the entire intent of your previous post.
> >
> > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the
Startup
> > Menu from appearing every boot, correct? And now you want to know
about
> > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
> >
> > Those commands are in Autoexec.bat. You stop them from appearing on
the
> > screen by adding a line at the *beginnin gofAutoexec.zl3
> >
> > @ECHO OFF
> >
> > However, all that does is stop the lines from appearing on screen.
> > Instead of seeing the lines, you'll see a blank screen, or whatever
> > remains of the POST sequence. It doesn't stop the commands from
being
> > executed.
> >
> Gary, I did as Ron Martell suggested. That autocorrected msdos.sys
AFAIK,
> because the Startup Menu never came back.
> The first boot after that, no Startup Menu or DOS screen anymore.
After the
> next cold boot, the DOS screen is back after the Windows GUI, a pause,
then
> Windows starts normally. This will be my wife's computer, want it to
be as
> normal as possible.
>
> As of now, I personally haven't:
> > Deleting the last two lines from your MSDOS.SYS file stopped the
Startup
> > Menu from appearing every boot, correct?
> The above must have done it.
>
> >And now you want to know about
> > the DOS commands you see before Windows finally starts?
> Correct.
>
> So, it would be desirable to eliminate the blank screen if possible.
>
> With the above, advice?
>
> TIA

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
| Hugh Candlin wrote:
| > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message
....snip

| > W98

....snip
| >>Advice?
| >

| > Change it to BootMenu=0, using the instructions
| > in the KB article (I gave you the link)
| >
| Thanks for the info.
| After the windows GUI, I still have one DOS screen, listing parameters
and
| root command lines. Here is what msdos.sys now shows:
| --------------------
| [Paths]
| WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
| WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
| HostWinBootDrv=C
|
| [Options]
| BootMulti=1
| BootGUI=1
| ;
| ;The following lines are required for compatibility with other
programs.
| ;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).

;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa

;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
snip

;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr

;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs
| DoubleBuffer=1
| AutoScan=1
| WinVer=4.10.2222
|
| Advice?

Take those three lines at the bottom, & MOVE them up over the filler
"xxx..." lines, for aesthetics' sake. Keep them in the [Options]
section, though. Also, you may delete the "BootMulti=1" line, as that is
the default setting...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q118579/
• BootMulti=Boolean
Default: 1
Purpose: A setting of 0 disables the multi-boot option. (For example,
with a setting of 0 you cannot boot your previous operating system.) A
setting of 1 enables the F4 and F8 keys to boot your previous operating
system.

If you still have unwanted DOS lines, perhaps... START button, Run,
SysEdit... & post Config.sys & Autoexec.bat.