Please Recommend a New MOBO!!

8Runner

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks to all that chimed in on my previous post regarding: will aftermarket mobos in Dell cases? I didn't mean for the topic to start a fight.....lol. So due to your replies, I have decided to give the Dell to my Wife and build my own.........I have already bought the case that will fit up to standard ATX.........that's how impatient I am. So with the help of you guys, lets get this thing rolling. Just remember I'm on a budget as I don't want to get booted out of the house and into the doghouse if you know what I mean.

Here's what I have so far: ATX Case and Intel P4/HT Northwood 2.8Ghz 800FSB 478 pin chip.

Here's what I want: A motherboard under $90 (the lower the better) w/ AGP, Dual Channel, and 800FSB w/ a Intel or SIS chipset....

Speaking of which, which chipset is superior: the Intels or the SIS 655fx's?

Thank you in advance, and hopefully this post will not start a riot! :wink:

Sean

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The wise thing to do would be to see what your options are, check out your local stores and see which motherboards are available there. If you're really in Hawaii, don't buy online, the shipping will be outrageous.

8Runner

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks, I already did and our local vendors are over pricing everything..........kind of stupid. An Asus P4P800-VM can be had including shipping for $103.90 from Newegg and $101.98 from ZZF. A local vendor here on the island of Oahu has the same exact damn thing listed for $159!!!!

$101 is a little out of my budget, what board would be recommended under $80-$90 (shipping included). So actually a board around $60-$70 before shipping charges.

Thanks.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Thanks, I already did and our local vendors are over pricing everything..........kind of stupid. An Asus P4P800-VM can be had including shipping for $103.90 from Newegg and $101.98 from ZZF. A local vendor here on the island of Oahu has the same exact damn thing listed for $159!!!!

$101 is a little out of my budget, what board would be recommended under $80-$90 (shipping included). So actually a board around $60-$70 before shipping charges.

Thanks.

I'm no expert on Intel mobos but the MSI 865PE Neo2-V would seem to fit the bill.

8Runner

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I only heard about the Intel, and lately, the SIS. If there are others far superior than these, feel free to let me know! Thank you.

Thanks for the MSI recommendation.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Epox makes nice boards too. Here's one that would work as well.

I am not a fan at all of anything SIS makes, but I will admit I've only had experience with their AMD chipsets and not their Intel varieties.

VIA also makes Intel compatible chipsets, but I would still stick with Intel's own chipsets.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I agree, SiS chipsets have never been that good in my experience.

I've been out of the Intel game for a while, but their chipsets have been good for me.

Surely there are alternatives to Intel chipsets for 478 socket mobos that are still decent??