Non-US store that will ship a Canon printer to US?

I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.

I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.

Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
store that will ship a printer to the US?

Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)

Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
CDs, using a USA version of the printer?

Thanks in advance

"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
> whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>
> I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
> doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>
> Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
> store that will ship a printer to the US?

Do you need a 110V model?

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=CAN_PIXMA_IP3000

<< From: Lady Margeret Thatcher not@home.com
Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2005 1:19 AM

I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.

I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.

Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
store that will ship a printer to the US?

Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)

Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
CDs, using a USA version of the printer?

Thanks in advance

If your that Hot to get a CD/DVD printer, why not just settle for the Epson
RX-300?

In article <c76dnc7EUuKrPZrfRVn-uA@comcast.com>, Dan G <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=CAN_PIXMA_IP3000
>

>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>> I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
>> whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>>
>> I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
>> doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>>
>> Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
>> store that will ship a printer to the US?
>>
>> Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
>> printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
>> trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
>> from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)
>>
>> Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
>> CDs, using a USA version of the printer?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

There's a gadget I see in the local computer store that just prints
on CDs. Well under $100.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

"FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> << From: Lady Margeret Thatcher not@home.com
> Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2005 1:19 AM
>
> I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
> whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.

Same with Epson 2200 vs 2100

On 7 Feb 2005 12:16:38 -0500, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <c76dnc7EUuKrPZrfRVn-uA@comcast.com>, Dan G <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote:
>>http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=CAN_PIXMA_IP3000
>>

>>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
>>> whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>>>
>>> I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
>>> doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>>>
>>> Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
>>> store that will ship a printer to the US?
>>>
>>> Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
>>> printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
>>> trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
>>> from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)
>>>
>>> Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
>>> CDs, using a USA version of the printer?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>

>There's a gadget I see in the local computer store that just prints
>on CDs. Well under $100.

Al,

I often see your posts in the different groups that I hang out in.
And, as usual, your post seems most down-to-earth.

One poster provided the URL above for a US store that did ship Canon
printers with CD printing. That was good until I froogled the printer
and discovered that the price on the Canon iP3000 was about $75 more
than a lot of places that froogle listed. Gee, as much as I would
like one printer instead of two, I might just go for your gadget.
Happen to remember the name?

Maggie

On 07 Feb 2005 10:28:19 GMT, fredbillie@aol.comnospam (FredBillie)
wrote:

><< From: Lady Margeret Thatcher not@home.com
>Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2005 1:19 AM
>
>I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
>whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>
>I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
>doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>
>Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
>store that will ship a printer to the US?
>
>Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
>printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
>trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
>from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)
>
>Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
>CDs, using a USA version of the printer?
>
>Thanks in advance
> >>

>If your that Hot to get a CD/DVD printer, why not just settle for the Epson
>RX-300?

I was hoping to get one printer, so I have less clutter, and less risk
of a print head jamming because ink has dried up.

Are there any non-US readers in this group who have a Canon printer?

Yes! I have a Canon iP4000 and it's the best printer I have owned. I run
Cartridge World in Oxford, UK and we sell Canon printers. search for the
above name and location then email me and I will see if we can ship to the
USA. The local price for the canon's are as follows:
iP3000 - £99.95, iP4000 - £149.95, iP5000 - £174.95. All these price include
VAT @ 17.5%.

Regards
Dave
"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:s97i019ot8m2or2nn5bohjh0v6notg2i6r@4ax.com...
> On 07 Feb 2005 10:28:19 GMT, fredbillie@aol.comnospam (FredBillie)
> wrote:
>
>><< From: Lady Margeret Thatcher not@home.com
>>Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2005 1:19 AM
>>
>>I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
>>whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>>
>>I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
>>doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>>
>>Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
>>store that will ship a printer to the US?
>>
>>Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
>>printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
>>trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
>>from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)
>>
>>Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
>>CDs, using a USA version of the printer?
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>> >>

>>If your that Hot to get a CD/DVD printer, why not just settle for the
>>Epson
>>RX-300?
>
> I was hoping to get one printer, so I have less clutter, and less risk
> of a print head jamming because ink has dried up.
>
> Are there any non-US readers in this group who have a Canon printer?

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:02:34 -0000, "Stick Stickus"
<dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote:

>Yes! I have a Canon iP4000 and it's the best printer I have owned. I run
>Cartridge World in Oxford, UK and we sell Canon printers. search for the
>above name and location then email me and I will see if we can ship to the
>USA. The local price for the canon's are as follows:
>iP3000 - £99.95, iP4000 - £149.95, iP5000 - £174.95. All these price include
>VAT @ 17.5%.

Thank you.

I just did a Google search and I came up with a store located in
Oxford on London Road, Headington. Email is
cwoxford@cartridgeworld.org. Is that your store?

Regarding VAT, if you ship outside the UK, is the shipment exempt from
VAT?

Also, as several people have pointed out to me, are the Canon printers
you sell capable of operating from 110V mains, that is, are they
"universal?" I expect that I would need a different cord to plug the
printer into a power outlet.

>Regards
>Dave
>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
>in message news:s97i019ot8m2or2nn5bohjh0v6notg2i6r@4ax.com...
>> On 07 Feb 2005 10:28:19 GMT, fredbillie@aol.comnospam (FredBillie)
>> wrote:
>>
>>><< From: Lady Margeret Thatcher not@home.com
>>>Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2005 1:19 AM
>>>
>>>I'm miffed that in the US the new Canon printers won't print on CDs,
>>>whereas the same printers sold outside the US will do this.
>>>
>>>I've tried to locate non-US stores using Google and Froogle, but that
>>>doesn't work. Way, way, way too many hits.
>>>
>>>Can any non-US participant in this newsgroup suggest a web/mail order
>>>store that will ship a printer to the US?
>>>
>>>Have any US readers in this newsgroup successfully imported a Canon
>>>printer? Did you have any problems with customs about the Canon
>>>trademark? (question based on personal experience buying Nikon cameras
>>>from Hong Kong in the late 60s.)
>>>
>>>Or, can I simply order a spare part that will enable me to print onto
>>>CDs, using a USA version of the printer?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>> >>

>>>If your that Hot to get a CD/DVD printer, why not just settle for the
>>>Epson
>>>RX-300?
>>
>> I was hoping to get one printer, so I have less clutter, and less risk
>> of a print head jamming because ink has dried up.
>>
>> Are there any non-US readers in this group who have a Canon printer?

Yep, That's the store. VAT is removed prior to purchase when the sale is for
someone abroad.
Taxes may be applied according to you countries rules.
You would need to purchase an adapter for your power points, this should be
available from any good canon stockist.

Regards
Stick
"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:4c9l01561jnqmrj53m4st7vp8nqdgrfimr@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:02:34 -0000, "Stick Stickus"
> <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote:
>
>>Yes! I have a Canon iP4000 and it's the best printer I have owned. I run
>>Cartridge World in Oxford, UK and we sell Canon printers. search for the
>>above name and location then email me and I will see if we can ship to the
>>USA. The local price for the canon's are as follows:
>>iP3000 - £99.95, iP4000 - £149.95, iP5000 - £174.95. All these price
>>include
>>VAT @ 17.5%.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I just did a Google search and I came up with a store located in
> Oxford on London Road, Headington. Email is
> cwoxford@cartridgeworld.org. Is that your store?
>
> Regarding VAT, if you ship outside the UK, is the shipment exempt from
> VAT?
>
> Also, as several people have pointed out to me, are the Canon printers
> you sell capable of operating from 110V mains, that is, are they
> "universal?" I expect that I would need a different cord to plug the
> printer into a power outlet.
>
>>Regards
>>Dave
>>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org>
>>wrote
>>in message news:s97i019ot8m2or2nn5bohjh0v6notg2i6r@4ax.com...

>>> I was hoping to get one printer, so I have less clutter, and less risk
>>> of a print head jamming because ink has dried up.
>>>
>>> Are there any non-US readers in this group who have a Canon printer?

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:23:15 -0000, "Stick Stickus"
<dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote:

>Yep, That's the store. VAT is removed prior to purchase when the sale is for
>someone abroad.
>Taxes may be applied according to you countries rules.
>You would need to purchase an adapter for your power points, this should be
>available from any good canon stockist.

Thanks. Can the printer work with 110V mains? That is my main
concern. It's easy enough to get an adapter.

"Maggie" ("Iron Lady")

>Regards
>Stick
>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
>in message news:4c9l01561jnqmrj53m4st7vp8nqdgrfimr@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:02:34 -0000, "Stick Stickus"
>> <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes! I have a Canon iP4000 and it's the best printer I have owned. I run
>>>Cartridge World in Oxford, UK and we sell Canon printers. search for the
>>>above name and location then email me and I will see if we can ship to the
>>>USA. The local price for the canon's are as follows:
>>>iP3000 - £99.95, iP4000 - £149.95, iP5000 - £174.95. All these price
>>>include
>>>VAT @ 17.5%.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> I just did a Google search and I came up with a store located in
>> Oxford on London Road, Headington. Email is
>> cwoxford@cartridgeworld.org. Is that your store?
>>
>> Regarding VAT, if you ship outside the UK, is the shipment exempt from
>> VAT?
>>
>> Also, as several people have pointed out to me, are the Canon printers
>> you sell capable of operating from 110V mains, that is, are they
>> "universal?" I expect that I would need a different cord to plug the
>> printer into a power outlet.
>>
>>>Regards
>>>Dave
>>>"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org>
>>>wrote
>>>in message news:s97i019ot8m2or2nn5bohjh0v6notg2i6r@4ax.com...

In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...
> Thanks. Can the printer work with 110V mains? That is my main
> concern. It's easy enough to get an adapter.

Don't count on it. The i series didn't have universal power bricks and I
don't think the iP have either. They are specc'd 110-120V or 220-240V,
not 110 - 240V.

Having spoken to Canon UK they told me that they will work in Europe with an
a plug adapter. I will check today with canon regarding working in the USA.
"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:ddpo01tiu4qn27kk6q4hrgr3cnlhn4psst@4ax.com...

"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
> Having spoken to Canon UK they told me that they will work in Europe with
> an a plug adapter. I will check today with canon regarding working in the
> USA.

Well that's no great surprise - all of Europe is 240v. It's no reason to
think it will work in the US on the 110v system. In fact I'll be very
surprised if the IP printers have multi voltage as an unspecified feature!

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:14:29 +1100, "Caitlin"
<caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
>> Having spoken to Canon UK they told me that they will work in Europe with
>> an a plug adapter. I will check today with canon regarding working in the
>> USA.
>
>Well that's no great surprise - all of Europe is 240v. It's no reason to
>think it will work in the US on the 110v system. In fact I'll be very
>surprised if the IP printers have multi voltage as an unspecified feature!

As the OP on this topic, I've pretty much resigned myself to not
buying a printer from a non-US source. The issue of 240 vs. 110 volt
mains is a serious one. Also, there is the issue of "localization,"
since standard paper sizes are different between the US and much of
the rest of the world.

My only "hope" is that the printer tray that holds CDs is available as
a repair item. And that is unlikely. Or I go to someplace in Europe
just to buy the printer from a High Street store. :)

Also, it's very interesting that a number of online stores that sell
Canon printers use the same general description language worldwide.
That general description includes printing onto CD and DVD media. Yet
the technical specifications do not include this media type.

Further, I found a forum thread in which one online store with both US
and non-US locations will ship only the US version (no CD printing) to
a US customer.

"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:74vs01hoebh56g3lns9qrrsa0qafp69o4o@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:14:29 +1100, "Caitlin"
> <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
>>> Having spoken to Canon UK they told me that they will work in Europe
>>> with
>>> an a plug adapter. I will check today with canon regarding working in
>>> the
>>> USA.
>>
>>Well that's no great surprise - all of Europe is 240v. It's no reason to
>>think it will work in the US on the 110v system. In fact I'll be very
>>surprised if the IP printers have multi voltage as an unspecified feature!
>
> As the OP on this topic, I've pretty much resigned myself to not
> buying a printer from a non-US source. The issue of 240 vs. 110 volt
> mains is a serious one. Also, there is the issue of "localization,"
> since standard paper sizes are different between the US and much of
> the rest of the world.
>
> My only "hope" is that the printer tray that holds CDs is available as
> a repair item. And that is unlikely. Or I go to someplace in Europe
> just to buy the printer from a High Street store. :)
>
> Also, it's very interesting that a number of online stores that sell
> Canon printers use the same general description language worldwide.
> That general description includes printing onto CD and DVD media. Yet
> the technical specifications do not include this media type.
>
> Further, I found a forum thread in which one online store with both US
> and non-US locations will ship only the US version (no CD printing) to
> a US customer.

This doesn't help you a great deal, but I do remember reading in another
forum a while ago that someone had investigated this, and that getting the
extra CD tray was not enough. The CD tray slot has also been blocked at the
back or something? I think you may also find the software/driver could be
different?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:10:41 +1100, "Caitlin"
<caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This doesn't help you a great deal, but I do remember reading in another
>forum a while ago that someone had investigated this, and that getting the
>extra CD tray was not enough. The CD tray slot has also been blocked at the
>back or something? I think you may also find the software/driver could be
>different?

In other words, it's not going to happen. Not that you couldn't
"trim out" the clearance for the tray. But it sure sounds like it's
not worth the effort. As the OP, I officially throw up my hands and
give up.

In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...
> >This doesn't help you a great deal, but I do remember reading in another
> >forum a while ago that someone had investigated this, and that getting the
> >extra CD tray was not enough. The CD tray slot has also been blocked at the
> >back or something? I think you may also find the software/driver could be
> >different?
> >

> In other words, it's not going to happen. Not that you couldn't
> "trim out" the clearance for the tray. But it sure sounds like it's
> not worth the effort. As the OP, I officially throw up my hands and
> give up.

That doesn't sound like the Iron Lady :)
This is probably the longest thread on cd printing for Canons
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=
1
watch possible wrapping.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:35:07 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
wrote:

>In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...
>> >This doesn't help you a great deal, but I do remember reading in another
>> >forum a while ago that someone had investigated this, and that getting the
>> >extra CD tray was not enough. The CD tray slot has also been blocked at the
>> >back or something? I think you may also find the software/driver could be
>> >different?
>> >

>> In other words, it's not going to happen. Not that you couldn't
>> "trim out" the clearance for the tray. But it sure sounds like it's
>> not worth the effort. As the OP, I officially throw up my hands and
>> give up.
>>

>That doesn't sound like the Iron Lady :)

Well, didn't't the Iron Lady leave office after some period of time?
And did she win every single vote in Parliament?

>This is probably the longest thread on cd printing for Canons
>http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=
>1
>watch possible wrapping.

I sure wish I had found that thread before starting this one.

Have checked with Claudio at Canon Tech support today.
She confirmed that a UK iP4000 will work in the USA with a plug adapter. The
printer is Multi-Voltage format.
Regards
Stick
"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:8h3011drcsn0i4pfcb4gbdduoo30cs1gti@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:35:07 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...
> >> >

> >> In other words, it's not going to happen. Not that you couldn't
> >> "trim out" the clearance for the tray. But it sure sounds like it's
> >> not worth the effort. As the OP, I officially throw up my hands and
> >> give up.
> >>

> >That doesn't sound like the Iron Lady :)
>
> Well, didn't't the Iron Lady leave office after some period of time?
> And did she win every single vote in Parliament?
>
> >This is probably the longest thread on cd printing for Canons
> >http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=
> >1
> >watch possible wrapping.
>
> I sure wish I had found that thread before starting this one.

"Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote
in message news:8h3011drcsn0i4pfcb4gbdduoo30cs1gti@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:35:07 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...
>>> >

>>> In other words, it's not going to happen. Not that you couldn't
>>> "trim out" the clearance for the tray. But it sure sounds like it's
>>> not worth the effort. As the OP, I officially throw up my hands and
>>> give up.
>>>

>>That doesn't sound like the Iron Lady :)
>
> Well, didn't't the Iron Lady leave office after some period of time?
> And did she win every single vote in Parliament?
>
>>This is probably the longest thread on cd printing for Canons
>>http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=
>>1
>>watch possible wrapping.
>
> I sure wish I had found that thread before starting this one.

Sorry - to be honest I remember reading this some time ago - just couldn't
remember the details or where!

Have checked with Claudia at Canon Tech support today. A UK iP4000 will work
in the USA if you purchase the correct plug adapter. The printer is
multi-voltage.

Regards
Stick
"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org>
wrote
> in message news:8h3011drcsn0i4pfcb4gbdduoo30cs1gti@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:35:07 +1300, colinco <colincomma@yawhoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>In article Lady Margeret Thatcher says...

> >>That doesn't sound like the Iron Lady :)
> >
> > Well, didn't't the Iron Lady leave office after some period of time?
> > And did she win every single vote in Parliament?
> >
> >>This is probably the longest thread on cd printing for Canons
> >>http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=
> >>1
> >>watch possible wrapping.
> >
> > I sure wish I had found that thread before starting this one.
>
> Sorry - to be honest I remember reading this some time ago - just couldn't
> remember the details or where!

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:55:10 +0000 (UTC), "Cartridgeworld \(Oxford\)"
<cwoxford@cartridgeworld.org> wrote:

>Have checked with Claudia at Canon Tech support today. A UK iP4000 will work
>in the USA if you purchase the correct plug adapter. The printer is
>multi-voltage.

Best news I've had all week. :)

Maggie.

>Regards
>Stick
>"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lady Margeret Thatcher" <Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org>
>wrote
>> in message news:8h3011drcsn0i4pfcb4gbdduoo30cs1gti@4ax.com...

>getting
>at
>could

>> > Well, didn't't the Iron Lady leave office after some period of time?
>> > And did she win every single vote in Parliament?

>> > I sure wish I had found that thread before starting this one.
>>
>> Sorry - to be honest I remember reading this some time ago - just couldn't
>> remember the details or where!

Alan

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:04:59 -0800, Lady Margeret Thatcher
<Was_at_10_Downing_Street@bad_for_the_UK.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:14:29 +1100, "Caitlin"
><caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
>>> Having spoken to Canon UK they told me that they will work in Europe with
>>> an a plug adapter. I will check today with canon regarding working in the
>>> USA.
>>
>>Well that's no great surprise - all of Europe is 240v. It's no reason to
>>think it will work in the US on the 110v system. In fact I'll be very
>>surprised if the IP printers have multi voltage as an unspecified feature!
>
>As the OP on this topic, I've pretty much resigned myself to not
>buying a printer from a non-US source. The issue of 240 vs. 110 volt
>mains is a serious one. Also, there is the issue of "localization,"
>since standard paper sizes are different between the US and much of
>the rest of the world.

Have a look at an electrical store. Here (in Hong Kong) voltage
adapters are a cheap generic item. And I'm told that many US houses
actually have 220V circuits (as well as 110V) available, for
heavy-duty items like air conditioners, heaters, etc.

As for paper size, lasers may have different A4 and Letter trays, but
inkjets mostly have a "universal" one with an adjustable paperguide.
But even so, is A4 paper not on sale in the US?

TRENDING THREADS