WEB browsing with IPaq 3630

October 26, 2004 9:44:13 AM

Hello,

I have a old I-Paq 3630 which still works fine. It runs
Windows CE 3.0, no upgrade to PocketPC 2002 was done.

I'd like to install a good WEB browser, the embedded
Pocket IE is not compatible with a lot of pages anymore. I
have read a lot of good articles about NetFront and I'd
like to test it before buying it. On Access' homepage,
there is no trial version for PocketPC (only for PocketPC
2002 and 2003).

Does anybody know why? Is it something wrong with NetFront
on PocketPC, something that Access wants to hide? I sent a
mail to Access but got no reply. Did anybody test NetFront
on a PocketPC?

Thank you very much in advance.

J-M Malmedy

More about : web browsing ipaq 3630

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 4:40:56 AM

A little up for this question.
It is very important to me.

Thank you.

J-M Malmedy

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:02:19 AM

Sorry, in threaded newsreaders there is no 'bump up', the post
stays where it is in the list ;)

To try and answer your question(s), Netfront as any other company
is simply moving on. The h3630 PPC is roughly 5 years old hardware
wise and software wise if I remember correctly, and this platform
is slowly becoming extinct for applications that keep developing
only to eventually move on to more modern OS's.
It's not a flaw in Netfront, it's just evolution.
You could still try and run Netfront on your PPC, you could also
go have a look on Ebay for the 2002 upgrade cd so you can meet the
requirements for Netfront.
Mind you, what you get off Ebay for PPC's is usually copied material
and therefore in violation of copyright. Although that would be
debatable for some since it's older software.
By the way, you might also want to keep an eye on Opera's website,
they are developing a browser for PDA machines at the moment.

~S.

"J-M Malmedy" <jmmalmedy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:0ce801c4bbf8$4baeb1c0
$a401280a@phx.gbl:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

My IPaq 3630 is about 4 years old. It is still a pure
Compaq computer.

I understand this platform is now out of date, I undestand
too that software editors don't want to support it
anymore. What strange is to me is that Access has
developped three versions of the last NetFront (for
PocketPC, for PPC 2002 and for PPC 2003) but does not
propose a trial version for PPC while it's available for
2002 and 2003. Do they want to hide something?

What do you mean with "You could still try and run
Netfront on your PPC"? Is it possible without upgrading to
PPC 2002? I know this upgrade was possible but I feel
concerned with the copyright and don't want to install a
copy. This upgrade is not available on HP's site anymore.

Thank you very much,

Jean-Marc Malmedy

?threadId=641503
>.

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:08:38 AM

I run Netfront on an iPAQ 5550 but did run it on an iPAQ 3760 (before my
upgrade) and it works like a champ on both. It is an excellent web browser.
I went the extra mile and bought the with Java version and am glad I did. I
don't use Pocket IE for anything (just as I don't use File Explorer, Pocket
Word, or Pocket Excel, but I'll not get on my soap box.)

Jim

"J-M Malmedy" <jmmalmedy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A little up for this question.
> It is very important to me.
>
> Thank you.
>
> J-M Malmedy

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 2:45:07 PM

Reply inline this time.

"Jean-Marc Malmedy" <jmmalmedy@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1e0a01c4bc1b
$c2c00700$a301280a@phx.gbl:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My IPaq 3630 is about 4 years old. It is still a pure
> Compaq computer.

Yes, I understand that.

> I understand this platform is now out of date, I undestand
> too that software editors don't want to support it
> anymore. What strange is to me is that Access has
> developped three versions of the last NetFront (for
> PocketPC, for PPC 2002 and for PPC 2003) but does not
> propose a trial version for PPC while it's available for
> 2002 and 2003. Do they want to hide something?

Hide? no I don't think so. it's possible they simply never
had a demo for that platform at that time.

> What do you mean with "You could still try and run
> Netfront on your PPC"? Is it possible without upgrading to
> PPC 2002? I know this upgrade was possible but I feel
> concerned with the copyright and don't want to install a
> copy. This upgrade is not available on HP's site anymore.

What I meant is this; you could still back up your machine
and then try the demo for 2002. if it messes things up you
can always go back to the backup with the knowledge you got
after trying the demo. :)
About copyright, the software has evolved several times since
that version and it is no longer developed or for sale through
the official channels. in my opinion that gives you the right
to obtain it elsewhere and use it, in reality nobody is going
to come knocking on your door just because you are using a 16MB
piece of obsolete code on your PPC. Ofcourse if you're a strong
believer of copyright = copyright, then that idea is a no go.
You could also consider upgrading to a newer PPC, it will come
with the latest OS supported by Netfront, and with that avoid
any copyright ghosts haunting you at night ;)

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
13033 Total Signatures on Friday, Oct. 29th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:23:23 AM

Hi,

OK, I understand what you mean about trying NetFront.

Upgrading my IPaq to PPC 2002 won't be possible for me.
I'm really a copyright = copyright believer as you told.
In fact, I'm software editor too ( much smaller than
Access :-) ). That's why I try to respect as good as
possible the copyright of others.

Maybe I should not tell that on this forum. But I was a
PalmOne user. My wife is a PPC user and this IPaq was from
her. I offered her a Mitac Mio and I now use her old IPaq
because my Palm is dead. I'm now trying to find the same
functionnality and stability in my IPaq as I had in the
Palm. I think I'd buy a new PalmOne (T5) if I really have
to buy something else. I'm really disappointed with the
the so many bugs of Windows CE, but I recognize that PPC
2003 is much more stable.

Thank you for your advices about NetFront.

J-M Malmedy

!