Won't start - Windows 98 second edition

buckman

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2001

I can't get windows to start. Not in safe mode either. My wallpaper comes up
on the desktop ... but no icons, start botton, tool bar, etc.

I get a "performed an illegal operation" (with only a close option) for the
following:
Symtray, Spool32, Mstask, Explorer

After closing each, my wallpaper remains and there is no further activity.

What do I need to do to get windows to open?

Thank you!

Try these instructions, as compiled by MVP Glen Ventura.

Follow the procedures here:
Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install
Internet
Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

If those procedures do not help, have a look here:
Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

Especially this section at the end:

"If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the
command prompt
to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
c:\windows\system.ini.

"Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to
shell=progman.exe. What you
are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems)
from the
Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell.

"Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an
empty
Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu
selection to
browse to c:\program files\internet explorer and launch ie5setup.exe or
ie6setup.exe
(depending on what is there). Do a custom install and check all the Bold
faced
options. When the setup program alerts you that these files are already
installed,
tell it to reinstall all of the files.

"When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the
F8 key to
bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command
prompt. Once
there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the
line
shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file.
You have now
set the shell back to the original value."
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Buckman" <Buckman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can't get windows to start. Not in safe mode either. My wallpaper
comes up
> on the desktop ... but no icons, start botton, tool bar, etc.
>
> I get a "performed an illegal operation" (with only a close option)
for the
> following:
> Symtray, Spool32, Mstask, Explorer
>
> After closing each, my wallpaper remains and there is no further
activity.

> What do I need to do to get windows to open?
>
> Thank you!

buckman

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2001

Gary, thank you very much for the valuable information!
I noticed the article "... after installing Internet Explorer".

I don't know if this would make a difference, but in my case, I just
installed Norton SystemWorks 2005. I ran the Anti-virus, which went well.
Then while running their defrag utility, I received an error message. ( Don't
know what it said.) At closing it, my computer locked up. All attempts at
restarting resulted with my original message.

Will the procedures you provided still apply?

Thanks much!

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
> You have now
> set the shell back to the original value."
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Buckman" <Buckman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can't get windows to start. Not in safe mode either. My wallpaper
> comes up
> > on the desktop ... but no icons, start botton, tool bar, etc.
> >
> > I get a "performed an illegal operation" (with only a close option)
> for the
> > following:
> > Symtray, Spool32, Mstask, Explorer
> >
> > After closing each, my wallpaper remains and there is no further
> activity.
> >
> > What do I need to do to get windows to open?

Might want to boot to Command Prompt Only and run Scandisk, first. See
if that fixes it. Otherwise, regarding the procedures I posted
previously, it's worth a try.

I'd also point out that I don't know of many people who've been able to
run Norton Works 2005 on Windows 98 successfully. Seems to cause even
more problems than Norton usually does on Windows systems (the
"consumer" versions of Norton, anyway.)

--

> [...]
> > set the shell back to the original value."
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Buckman" <Buckman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I can't get windows to start. Not in safe mode either. My
wallpaper
> > comes up
> > > on the desktop ... but no icons, start botton, tool bar, etc.
> > >
> > > I get a "performed an illegal operation" (with only a close
option)
> > for the
> > > following:
> > > Symtray, Spool32, Mstask, Explorer
> > >
> > > After closing each, my wallpaper remains and there is no further
> > activity.
> > >
> > > What do I need to do to get windows to open?

buckman

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2001

I should have mentioned that I know nothing regarding command prompt commands.

What should I type after the C:\>

Thanks again!

> I should have mentioned that I know nothing regarding command prompt
commands.
> What should I type after the C:\>

first you ought to be in C:\WINDOWS> not C:\>
but you can go there by command CD = Change Directory
CD WINDOWS
which should give you the prompt C:\WINDOWS>
then just type
SCANDISK

Most Win98 DOS utilities have their own help menus
reached by /? e.g. SCANREG /? -- but SCANDISK
does not. (This command tells you to use Windows Help.)
But SCANDISK's own routines ought to be fairly transparent.
Start by checking C: alone and fix that first.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Don, you do *not* runs Scanreg /restore from within Windows.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Might want to boot to Command Prompt Only and run Scandisk, first.
See
> > > if that fixes it.
>
> "Buckman" <Buckman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I should have mentioned that I know nothing regarding command prompt
> commands.
> > What should I type after the C:\>
>
> first you ought to be in C:\WINDOWS> not C:\>
> but you can go there by command CD = Change Directory
> CD WINDOWS
> which should give you the prompt C:\WINDOWS>
> then just type
> SCANDISK
>
> Most Win98 DOS utilities have their own help menus
> reached by /? e.g. SCANREG /? -- but SCANDISK
> does not. (This command tells you to use Windows Help.)
> But SCANDISK's own routines ought to be fairly transparent.
> Start by checking C: alone and fix that first.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Sorry, I had the wrong post in mind. But in *this* case, the OP can't
even get into Windows, so your advice is still wrong.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Don, you do *not* runs Scanreg /restore from within Windows.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message

> See
> >
> > "Buckman" <Buckman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > I should have mentioned that I know nothing regarding command
prompt
> > commands.
> > > What should I type after the C:\>
> >
> > first you ought to be in C:\WINDOWS> not C:\>
> > but you can go there by command CD = Change Directory
> > CD WINDOWS
> > which should give you the prompt C:\WINDOWS>
> > then just type
> > SCANDISK
> >
> > Most Win98 DOS utilities have their own help menus
> > reached by /? e.g. SCANREG /? -- but SCANDISK
> > does not. (This command tells you to use Windows Help.)
> > But SCANDISK's own routines ought to be fairly transparent.
> > Start by checking C: alone and fix that first.
> >
> > --
> > Don Phillipson
> > Carlsbad Springs
> > (Ottawa, Canada)

I'll assume you booted into "Command Prompt Only". Simply type in
SCANDISK, then press <Enter>. If you get any errors, do not fix them,
just write them down, and then continue, writing down each error. Then
post back with the list of errors. We'll take this one step at a time.
(Sorry for the delay, I had to go out for a while.)