thejesus1

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I am a World of Warcraft addict and have an Emachines T3256 with 1.5 Gb of Ram and stock everything else. Two questions, first...I'd like to replace the video card....any recommendations. Two, my gf got a hold of the game and she is an addict too....so it looks like I need a new computer for myself. Any recommendations for home built parts that will be better than the old Emachines for under $600. Thanks in advance. :D

according to emachines parts depot you have an au31 motherboard, same as FIC K7M-NF18G so you have agp8x capability, and since you have a 350W power supply you should in theory be able to handle the best of agp like this one - eVGA 256-A8-N506-AX Geforce 7800GS AGP which is less than $300 to max it out.

For a new pc here is something I suggested for a neighbor who had a $700 limit:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum $61 shipped @ newegg
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN 450W $58 shipped @ newegg
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 $72 shipped @ newegg
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice $154 shipped @ newegg
G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 $85 shipped @ newegg
BenQ Beige 16X DVD+/-RW 16x $35 shipped @ newegg
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB ATA100 $53 shipped @ newegg
$518 so far

eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT $185 shipped @ newegg
$703

maybe get a crappy AGP card for the emachine so you can afford a BFG Tech BFGR79256GTOCE Geforce 7900GT $334 shipped @ newegg for yourself!!

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
1) Emachines suck period. Can't even replace the optical drives with off the shelf ones because the cases use proprietary dimensions for their optical drives. Not to mention the RAM is generally the cheapest crap they could find. My aunt bought one and the computer died in 6 months.

2) I just quit WoW. Got tired of endless server crashes and queues. Not to mention how the devs seem incapable or unwilling to balance the game and how people generally have absolutely no respect for anyone else in the game on PvP servers. Went back to FFXI where there is hardly ever a crash, no queues, and player respect is 2nd to none in my experience. Not to mention the story is way better than the half assed one of WoW.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I picked up a Radeon X800 GTO card a few months back to replace a dated GeForce 5200, and the game has run quite well with it, even though my system only has 3/4 GB of Ram - with an Athlon 2400+ CPU, I usually get 50-60 fps, with dips flying into big cities (more due to memory limitations than the card, I think), and the card is under $200. The earlier rec from Doolittle on the eVGA GeForce card is a good one as well - did very well in price/performance comparisons (saw a good article on ExtremeTech, as I recall), and solidly on the basis of performance alone. I can't argue with Doolittle's suggestions on the new machine either, though you can pick up cases cheaper if you watch for sales in your area - Fry's in particular will often run a decent case with a mail-in rebate that makes it nearly free, especially around holiday weekends. Swap meets are another great place to get cases for next to nothing, and you might pick up a few other useful parts in the process. Personally, the appearance of my machine is less important than its guts, so I don't care if a case is a bit beaten up...

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
doolittle did a good job for ya there, not a bad setup for around 700, maybe since WoW doesnt really have high end system requirements to run it, slap a cheaper 6800gs in the emachine, and give it to your GF.

Then take all the money you saved and build yourself a nice rig, splurge on the ram and the video card, maybe even bump the cpu up a little.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
What does that have to do with his question.

Emachines do suck, but I didnt see where he ask someone to rate his system, or his choice in games.

:roll: Worthless post