Fatal Exception 0177:BFF9DBA7

Recently I have started getting the dreaded blue screen with fatal
exception 0E ... 0177:BFF9DBA7 message.

I am running Win98 (original, not SE/ME) via an ADSL router with
ZoneAlarm and AVG Free v7.0.308. My PC is using Pentium II chip.

I have found a reference to this problem at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;209321
which mentions a possible fix. However, this isn't particularly
helpful and I don't want to have to reinstall Windows98 at this moment
in time.

Any suggestions?

The article you cite refers to the error during Windows setup when run from the hard
drive; you are not running setup, are you? I don't see that it is relevant to your
error.

Have you recently installed Windows updates? If so, look in Control Panel>
Add\Remove Programs for "Kb891711".....if found, uninstall it.

Also see:
What Are Fatal Exception Errors
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314

How to fix a fatal exception error.:

http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
> Recently I have started getting the dreaded blue screen with fatal
> exception 0E ... 0177:BFF9DBA7 message.
>
> I am running Win98 (original, not SE/ME) via an ADSL router with
> ZoneAlarm and AVG Free v7.0.308. My PC is using Pentium II chip.
>
> I have found a reference to this problem at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;209321
> which mentions a possible fix. However, this isn't particularly
> helpful and I don't want to have to reinstall Windows98 at this moment
> in time.
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes, I have recently run Windows update and I've found the Kb891711
entry you mention.

I shall remove it, but I have reservations - won't that re-open the
associated vulnerability?

> Yes, I have recently run Windows update and I've found the Kb891711
> entry you mention.
>
> I shall remove it, but I have reservations - won't that re-open the
> associated vulnerability?

Yes, it will.

It is a clear choice between a known security vulnerability
which may render your computer unstable
in the highly-unlikely event that your computer is affected
and
a known security "patch"
which almost assuredly WILL render your computer unstable.

AKA a no-brainer.

What Hugh said. Read MS05-002 Security Bulletin, and you'll get an idea
of the nature of this vulnerability. My most urgent recommendation
regarding this issue, the one place where *lots* of people might get
affected, is reading email in HTML format using a local client (like OE,
for instance, not online at Hotmail or Earthlink, for instance.)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-002.mspx

Set your email client to read emails in "Plain Text Only" in order to
avoid the most likely method of attacking via this vulnerability. If
your email client can't do that, then change clients (OE 6 has this
ability, though not any earlier versions. Many other email readers also
have this ability.)

It's my understanding that Microsoft is working to fix this problem.
Whether they are successful or not is another question altogether.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
> Yes, I have recently run Windows update and I've found the Kb891711
> entry you mention.
>
> I shall remove it, but I have reservations - won't that re-open the
> associated vulnerability?
>

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:15:35 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The article you cite refers to the error during Windows setup when
run from the hard
> >drive; you are not running setup, are you? I don't see that it is
relevant to your
> >error.
> >
> >Have you recently installed Windows updates? If so, look in Control
Panel>
> >Add\Remove Programs for "Kb891711".....if found, uninstall it.
> >
> >Also see:
> >What Are Fatal Exception Errors
> >http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=150314
> >
> >How to fix a fatal exception error.:
> >http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000223.htm
> >
> >http://www.aumha.org/kbefe.htm
> >
> >http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/fatlexer.htm

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.