maint.,format

Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and do
no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings in
different groups and from several people I have had conversations concerning
computer use and problems.
Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
Thank You.
Take Care.
beamish.
5 answers Last reply
More about maint format

    Have a look here:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and do
    > no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings in
    > different groups and from several people I have had conversations concerning
    > computer use and problems.
    > Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
    > Thank You.
    > Take Care.
    > beamish.

    Hello and Thank You for the replies.
    Take Care.
    beamish.
    "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and
    > do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings
    > in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
    > concerning computer use and problems.
    > Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
    > Thank You.
    > Take Care.
    > beamish.

    Re-formatting and re-installing is not a general maintenance procedure. It
    is an alternative to maintenance. You will find that some support people are
    moving towards this type of system administration, particularly in larger
    organisations. To be effective it assumes that the user keeps all personal
    settings and files on a server, and that the Windows image on the local
    machine can be almost identical for all machines. In that case reformatting
    and re-installing with a standard prepared Windows image is a cost-effective
    alternative to individual machine maintenance, especially where the
    maintenance problems are being created by the user, for instance with unsafe
    practices.

    It is not likely to be a suitable proposition for a single user, unless you
    have a very simple installation, such as a game-playing machine for the
    kids.

    "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and
    > do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings
    > in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
    > concerning computer use and problems.
    > Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
    > Thank You.
    > Take Care.
    > beamish.

    Still, I do it on average once a year, whether it needs it or not, <eg>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > Re-formatting and re-installing is not a general maintenance
    procedure. It
    > is an alternative to maintenance. You will find that some support
    people are
    > moving towards this type of system administration, particularly in
    larger
    > organisations. To be effective it assumes that the user keeps all
    personal
    > settings and files on a server, and that the Windows image on the
    local
    > machine can be almost identical for all machines. In that case
    reformatting
    > and re-installing with a standard prepared Windows image is a
    cost-effective
    > alternative to individual machine maintenance, especially where the
    > maintenance problems are being created by the user, for instance with
    unsafe
    > practices.
    >
    > It is not likely to be a suitable proposition for a single user,
    unless you
    > have a very simple installation, such as a game-playing machine for
    the
    > kids.
    >
    > "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure
    and
    > > do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many
    postings
    > > in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
    > > concerning computer use and problems.
    > > Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
    > > Thank You.
    > > Take Care.
    > > beamish.

    Well yeah! That's because you take in all those windows updates, so no
    big surprise there! You probably have to! :-)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Still, I do it on average once a year, whether it needs it or not, <eg>.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Re-formatting and re-installing is not a general maintenance procedure.
    It
    >> is an alternative to maintenance. You will find that some support people
    are
    >> moving towards this type of system administration, particularly in larger
    >> organisations. To be effective it assumes that the user keeps all
    personal
    >> settings and files on a server, and that the Windows image on the local
    >> machine can be almost identical for all machines. In that case
    reformatting
    >> and re-installing with a standard prepared Windows image is a
    cost-effective
    >> alternative to individual machine maintenance, especially where the
    >> maintenance problems are being created by the user, for instance with
    unsafe
    >> practices.
    >>
    >> It is not likely to be a suitable proposition for a single user, unless
    you
    >> have a very simple installation, such as a game-playing machine for the
    >> kids.
    >>
    >> "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and
    >>> do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many
    postings
    >>> in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
    >>> concerning computer use and problems.
    >>> Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
    >>> Thank You.
    >>> Take Care.
    >>> beamish.

Microsoft Format Windows