maint.,format

Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and do
no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings in
different groups and from several people I have had conversations concerning
computer use and problems.
Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
Thank You.
Take Care.
beamish.

Have a look here:
http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and do
> no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings in
> different groups and from several people I have had conversations concerning
> computer use and problems.
> Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
> Thank You.
> Take Care.
> beamish.

Hello and Thank You for the replies.
Take Care.
beamish.
"beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and
> do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings
> in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
> concerning computer use and problems.
> Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
> Thank You.
> Take Care.
> beamish.

Re-formatting and re-installing is not a general maintenance procedure. It
is an alternative to maintenance. You will find that some support people are
moving towards this type of system administration, particularly in larger
organisations. To be effective it assumes that the user keeps all personal
settings and files on a server, and that the Windows image on the local
machine can be almost identical for all machines. In that case reformatting
and re-installing with a standard prepared Windows image is a cost-effective
alternative to individual machine maintenance, especially where the
maintenance problems are being created by the user, for instance with unsafe
practices.

It is not likely to be a suitable proposition for a single user, unless you
have a very simple installation, such as a game-playing machine for the
kids.

"beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure and
> do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many postings
> in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
> concerning computer use and problems.
> Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
> Thank You.
> Take Care.
> beamish.

Still, I do it on average once a year, whether it needs it or not, <eg>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> Re-formatting and re-installing is not a general maintenance
procedure. It
> is an alternative to maintenance. You will find that some support
people are
> moving towards this type of system administration, particularly in
larger
> organisations. To be effective it assumes that the user keeps all
personal
> settings and files on a server, and that the Windows image on the
local
> machine can be almost identical for all machines. In that case
reformatting
> and re-installing with a standard prepared Windows image is a
cost-effective
> alternative to individual machine maintenance, especially where the
> maintenance problems are being created by the user, for instance with
unsafe
> practices.
>
> It is not likely to be a suitable proposition for a single user,
unless you
> have a very simple installation, such as a game-playing machine for
the
> kids.
>
> "beamish" <beamish9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, Many people use formatting as a general maintenance procedure
and
> > do no weekly or monthly maintenance. I have notice this from many
postings
> > in different groups and from several people I have had conversations
> > concerning computer use and problems.
> > Is there a basic accepted maintenance protocol?
> > Thank You.
> > Take Care.
> > beamish.

Well yeah! That's because you take in all those windows updates, so no
big surprise there! You probably have to! :)