Budget Dual Core Build, 805D vs Opty 170

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
not exactly a fair price comparison but what you guys think, 805D intel OC'd pretty good vs the 165/170 Opty. CPU prices arent even close although the mobo might be a tad cheaper for the AMD. What kinda performance should I expect if I go intel? No flame wars please. I bought a truck recently and have other big ticket items to purchase too. I dont wanna spend to much $$$ here. I could use a nice CHEAP but good OCing mobo for the intel though. not sure what to use. Ive been so hug up on an opty but I dont think i need that much power. Im thinkin the intel will be strong enough and cheaper too.

Hide

silentcoercion

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
The 805 really is hard to get away from. It's just so cheap, and by all reports I've ever seen, it OCs pretty well. Think about it this way; you can get an 805 and a pretty serious board for less than you can get a 165 alone for. Here's a recent review of the 805, including comparisons to the 165 at stock clocking. It's outperformed by a goodly margin, but the price/performance ratio is still far in the 805's advantage. OCing'll primarily lower the percentage difference, which is something you should take into account (that is, OCing both chips).

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Im thinkin the intel will be strong enough and cheaper too.
If price is a factor, you'd have to be barking mad to buy the Opteron. Just think of what the missus will say when she reads your credit card bill, and consider where you'll be sleeping for the next week.

You could always just save up.

endyen

Splendid
It might be helpfull to know. what you want to do with this setup.
All the same, even the 820, with a 200/800 fsb shows major signs of being memory starved. I think those benches are rather deceptive, well except the ones that show the 805 one step up from a celeron.
There is a reason they are so cheap. It's because thier performance is crummy.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
As wusy pointed out, an overclocked 805D will run hot, use a lot of power and require a solid cooling system along with a strong PSU if you want to use it for more than an hour at a time.

An Optie 165 or X2 will be less of an headache, especially for 24/7 operation.

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I did fail to mention that I want it quiet. It'll be in an Antec P180 case. NOt sure of cooling just yet, might start with stock HSF but would like to go to a nice <$50 air cooling system. Power isnt as big of a concern because bout 1/2 the time I wont be paying for the power it uses...

I thought someone had linked me to the holly grail of articles but ive read that one pointed out. Its useless for this. it does not Show OC results. The 805 performes far better when OC'd hard. It does use alot of juice and put out some heat though, I do realize that...

Hide

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I have a D805 and i can't say a bad word about it! For the price it is a fantastic processor, and it is a very good overclocker. I'm sure i could push mine to 3.8 on stock cooling, but my overclocking skills aren't all that :p

QuantumSheep

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
well, instead of the opty/pD debate why not an x2/pD? Sid pointed out that an opty or x2 will do better for heat etc... and if you get the x2, it is cheaper than opty. an x2 3800 is under 3 bills and still can be oc'd if you desire. A friend of mine has his running @ 2.8 w/ water cooling. (just an example of what it could do)

w/ the 3800 you get better cost than the opty and lower heat than the pD. Just a thought.

also, while that p180 is a good case, if you want quiet try the sonattaII. VERY quiet and smaller than the p180, and comes w/ antec power for just under $100 on newegg! Unless you want the bigger case that is... or want more power but it takes more $...

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Please where do you get your info from??????
I have had 2 805s so i can tell you first hand on an ecs 410l board and 350w psu. i got the 2.66 to 3.35ghz idles at 32°c and full loads at 47°c with stock hsf and as5. with the stock thermal pad it was only 2-4° difference

So the 805 does not run hot its a damn good overclocker. Of course like in everything else you want more you need to spend more.

HideOut on a budget 805 hands down but option open.

As far as a motherboard any board will be fine that has the basic oc features cpu volt will be a great help. from what i know and seen on all 945 chipsets limit it around 4ghz for stable 805's.

Today I just orderd a 975 board for the rig in my sig and to be ready for a conroe upgrade maybe it could be possible for you to if your looking at an opty w mobo $460 vs an 805 w "975" mobo $370 so you can oc for now and wait an see what conroe is all about for any upgrade later just my thoughts......

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Those temps seem to be suspiciously low, stock Prescotts idle higher than the load temps that you report.

BTW, is that i975 based mobo really Conroe ready ? Conroe will require a different type of voltage regulation modules, got any links about that mobo of yours being Conroe ready ?

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
temps are about the same on 2 different boards, actually ecs board ran hotter (due to ati onboard video) overall then the asus.

Any link that has conroe test have them done on the intel badaxe the newer version.

I also understand that Gigabytes GA-G1975X will need a new ISL6556vrm and bios flash to work

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Ive been thinking about building an 805D based system myself the price cannot be beat ! I may just build one when it becomes more clear what mobo's will work with Conroe (that way I can build my system enjoy it and then realy upgrade it !!!)

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yes, what will this be used for?

Do you NEED dual cores. You could look at the Opty 144 or 146 route and just OC those, even mildly with stock cooling.

robreto

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
This may come in useful,

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1020827

Save ya some dough if you do want an opteron, although they are just OEM

Just hope you don't get an 0607 stepping (they are not good overclockers). I ordered last tuesday evening and got an CCBBE 0610 (pretty good stepping).

Coupons were updated late last week.

edit: I got a 165

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Actually i have gotton 3.9ghz on my 805. only pushed it to 3.35 on an my ecs motherboard.You may not be aware but I guess i could let you know ecs motherboards are not known as an overclockers board by any stretch. And if you cant trust speedfan and coolbits or my Raytek ST20XB then well i should be on fire soon

so this w805+$50HSF=3.4Ghz=X2 @~2.8Ghz would be incorrect. also would not be correct either going by this here some encoding here or so much for the$50 hsf here
some more ocing here
Another great thread you might have to wait till they put it back up herelook for stock hsf temps

many more threads and such but do your own research you’ll feel better

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
you might be right that 3.7 might not be possible w/stock hsf but from what i have seen and read its atainable. so 3.4 is EASY and those are the facts no need for another hsf. so your previous statement "805+$50HSF=3.4Ghz=X2 @~2.8Ghz " is busted.and that is according to Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman.
another ocing link here. Its indonesian but the graphs do the talking.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
3.7ghz is only attainable on a few chips, mostly the average o/c on stock cooling for a D805 is around 3.4-3.6, i overclocked mine to 3.6 last night and it ran stable for a few hours of stressful use, then crashed. I believe with the Zalman cooler i have ordered for ~$50 will make it easy for me to reach 3.8...Hopefully :twisted:

endyen

Splendid
Is that a northwoodC? I'd rather have one of those, than an 805.
On an Intel setup, fsb speed is everything. If <200 bottleknecks a single core, just think of what it does to a dual core.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
One reason is that there are 2 cores on 1 die, therefore twice as much heat is being produced ( i think, i'm probably wrong though...), so therefore the overclocking potential won't be as high.

I'm probably totally wrong about this...

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
So if i went 805D what would be a good overclockin mobo and hsf for it for the money? On the X2 vs Opty debate, the few extra bucks for the opty are well worth it. Usually higher overall MHZ + 1MB L2 cache per core vs the cheaper X2's..

Hide