win98+winXP

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I would like to add ,in a new partition,windows XP,but I need some
suggestions:
-how much space the new partition should have?3 Gb is enough?
-have I to upgrade the BIOS of my 1999 computer?if yes,what have I to do?
-have I to change from fat32 to NTFS?
-can I start from both win98 and winXP?
-the applications installed with win98,have to be used always with win98?or
can be used from winXP too?
-what else have I to do?
-the system performance will be the same?
Thank you

"john" <john_w@libero.it> wrote in message
> I would like to add ,in a new partition,windows XP,but I need some
> suggestions:
> -how much space the new partition should have?3 Gb is enough?

No.

> -have I to upgrade the BIOS of my 1999 computer?if yes,what have I to
do?

Probably not, but I have to wonder about the rest of your sytem if it's
a '99 model. Have you checked out the Compatibility Checker at
Microsoft's Windows XP site? (It's a large app, so if you don't have
high bandwidth, you should try to find someone who does, or who has a
retail copy of WIndows XP--it's on the CD.)

For things like processor, RAM and HD capacity, I suggest you *double*
Microsoft's figures, and even then they will only be realistic
minimums--your "XPerience" won't be a good one. Perhaps you could
describe your system and we could give you a quick, "Probably" or
"Probably not".

> -have I to change from fat32 to NTFS?

No. But you're repartitioning, anyway, right? NTFS will provide a more
stable system in the long run.

> -can I start from both win98 and winXP?

Yes. Multi-booting is built into Windows XP.

> -the applications installed with win98,have to be used always with
win98?or
> can be used from winXP too?

To use applications with Windows XP, you'll have to install them to
Windows XP.

> -what else have I to do?

Lots.

> -the system performance will be the same?

Nope.

> Thank you

You're welcome. There have been a few long discussions of dual-booting
Windows XP and Windows 98 in this forum over the last few weeks. I
suggest you search them out and read up. If we were to take each person
who is contemplating this move by the hand and lead each of you through
it individually, it would take all of the time we have. It's not a
simple procedure, especially if you don't already have lots of specific
know-how, and I can tell from your post that you don't.

More and more people are trying to do this, and while it's not a bad
idea in some cases, in many others it is just not feasible. Better to
just get a new machine.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I said 3Gb because I read that for winXP 1,5Gb is needed.
About my system: Pentium III 500Mhz,256 Mb of RAM,unfortunately I have a
small HD 20 Gb.
The Compatibility Checker is maybe Upgrade Advisor?can it be used for Home
Edition?
For dual-booting I'd use Partition Magic,what do you think?
Thank you
"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "john" <john_w@libero.it> wrote in message
> > I would like to add ,in a new partition,windows XP,but I need some
> > suggestions:
> > -how much space the new partition should have?3 Gb is enough?
>
> No.
>
> > -have I to upgrade the BIOS of my 1999 computer?if yes,what have I to
> do?
>
> Probably not, but I have to wonder about the rest of your sytem if it's
> a '99 model. Have you checked out the Compatibility Checker at
> Microsoft's Windows XP site? (It's a large app, so if you don't have
> high bandwidth, you should try to find someone who does, or who has a
> retail copy of WIndows XP--it's on the CD.)
>
> For things like processor, RAM and HD capacity, I suggest you *double*
> Microsoft's figures, and even then they will only be realistic
> minimums--your "XPerience" won't be a good one. Perhaps you could
> describe your system and we could give you a quick, "Probably" or
> "Probably not".
>
> > -have I to change from fat32 to NTFS?
>
> No. But you're repartitioning, anyway, right? NTFS will provide a more
> stable system in the long run.
>
> > -can I start from both win98 and winXP?
>
> Yes. Multi-booting is built into Windows XP.
>
> > -the applications installed with win98,have to be used always with
> win98?or
> > can be used from winXP too?
>
> To use applications with Windows XP, you'll have to install them to
> Windows XP.
>
> > -what else have I to do?
>
> Lots.
>
> > -the system performance will be the same?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Thank you
>
> You're welcome. There have been a few long discussions of dual-booting
> Windows XP and Windows 98 in this forum over the last few weeks. I
> suggest you search them out and read up. If we were to take each person
> who is contemplating this move by the hand and lead each of you through
> it individually, it would take all of the time we have. It's not a
> simple procedure, especially if you don't already have lots of specific
> know-how, and I can tell from your post that you don't.
>
> More and more people are trying to do this, and while it's not a bad
> idea in some cases, in many others it is just not feasible. Better to
> just get a new machine.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

HAGGIS

>I said 3Gb because I read that for winXP 1,5Gb is needed.
> About my system: Pentium III 500Mhz,256 Mb of RAM,unfortunately I have a
> small HD 20 Gb.

it will probably run XP ...but you won't be happy with the performance

> The Compatibility Checker is maybe Upgrade Advisor?can it be used for Home
> Edition?

upgrade advisor is for all flavours of XP

> For dual-booting I'd use Partition Magic,what do you think?

PM is ok ..other people here will probably also suggest Bootit ng
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

> Thank you
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
<snip>

1.5 GB of disk space is the minimum requirement for *just* the minimum
installation of XP. Double that to 3 GB and you have a realistic
minimum. Add optional components and you need even more space, and
*then* you have to add more space for applications. I wouldn't want less
than 6, preferably 10 GB for an XP installation, leaving aside the need
for personal file storage. Otherwise, you'll quickly run out of free
space, and you need *lots* of free space (I like 25% or more) for WinXP
to function well. Your best bet is to get another HD. They're relatively
cheap, and migrate easily to any newer system you might purchase down
the line

Your RAM is also what I would consider minimum, and you will encounter
slowness and other limitations with only that amount. 512 MB is getting
into the comfort range, provided you aren't doing anything that's RAM
intensive, like large image editing, movie editing, etc., or working
with massive databases. The RAM issue becomes even more critical when
you don't have much free space on disk. Any time you *have_to* start
swapping data in and out of the Page file (aka Swap file) performance
slows to a crawl (especially if your CPU is near minimums.)

Yes, I believe "Upgrade Advisor" is the name of the hardware
compatibility tester, though there is also, now, an Applications
Compatibility Checker. This last, though is not for the average user.
Takes an advanced degree in computer sciences just to figure out how to
use the damned thing! It's intended for ITs of large organizations.

As Haggis mentions, I prefer BootIt NG for partition and boot
management. Cheaper than PM and better besides. www.bootitng.com

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User