win98+winXP

I would like to add ,in a new partition,windows XP,but I need some
suggestions:
-how much space the new partition should have?3 Gb is enough?
-have I to upgrade the BIOS of my 1999 computer?if yes,what have I to do?
-have I to change from fat32 to NTFS?
-can I start from both win98 and winXP?
-the applications installed with win98,have to be used always with win98?or
can be used from winXP too?
-what else have I to do?
-the system performance will be the same?
Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about win98 winxp

    "john" <john_w@libero.it> wrote in message
    > I would like to add ,in a new partition,windows XP,but I need some
    > suggestions:
    > -how much space the new partition should have?3 Gb is enough?

    No.

    > -have I to upgrade the BIOS of my 1999 computer?if yes,what have I to
    do?

    Probably not, but I have to wonder about the rest of your sytem if it's
    a '99 model. Have you checked out the Compatibility Checker at
    Microsoft's Windows XP site? (It's a large app, so if you don't have
    high bandwidth, you should try to find someone who does, or who has a
    retail copy of WIndows XP--it's on the CD.)

    For things like processor, RAM and HD capacity, I suggest you *double*
    Microsoft's figures, and even then they will only be realistic
    minimums--your "XPerience" won't be a good one. Perhaps you could
    describe your system and we could give you a quick, "Probably" or
    "Probably not".

    > -have I to change from fat32 to NTFS?

    No. But you're repartitioning, anyway, right? NTFS will provide a more
    stable system in the long run.

    > -can I start from both win98 and winXP?

    Yes. Multi-booting is built into Windows XP.

    > -the applications installed with win98,have to be used always with
    win98?or
    > can be used from winXP too?

    To use applications with Windows XP, you'll have to install them to
    Windows XP.

    > -what else have I to do?

    Lots.

    > -the system performance will be the same?

    Nope.

    > Thank you

    You're welcome. There have been a few long discussions of dual-booting
    Windows XP and Windows 98 in this forum over the last few weeks. I
    suggest you search them out and read up. If we were to take each person
    who is contemplating this move by the hand and lead each of you through
    it individually, it would take all of the time we have. It's not a
    simple procedure, especially if you don't already have lots of specific
    know-how, and I can tell from your post that you don't.

    More and more people are trying to do this, and while it's not a bad
    idea in some cases, in many others it is just not feasible. Better to
    just get a new machine.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    I said 3Gb because I read that for winXP 1,5Gb is needed.
    About my system: Pentium III 500Mhz,256 Mb of RAM,unfortunately I have a
    small HD 20 Gb.
    The Compatibility Checker is maybe Upgrade Advisor?can it be used for Home
    Edition?
    For dual-booting I'd use Partition Magic,what do you think?
    Thank you

    >I said 3Gb because I read that for winXP 1,5Gb is needed.
    > About my system: Pentium III 500Mhz,256 Mb of RAM,unfortunately I have a
    > small HD 20 Gb.

    it will probably run XP ...but you won't be happy with the performance

    > The Compatibility Checker is maybe Upgrade Advisor?can it be used for Home
    > Edition?

    upgrade advisor is for all flavours of XP

    > For dual-booting I'd use Partition Magic,what do you think?

    PM is ok ..other people here will probably also suggest Bootit ng
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    > Thank you
    > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
    <snip>

    1.5 GB of disk space is the minimum requirement for *just* the minimum
    installation of XP. Double that to 3 GB and you have a realistic
    minimum. Add optional components and you need even more space, and
    *then* you have to add more space for applications. I wouldn't want less
    than 6, preferably 10 GB for an XP installation, leaving aside the need
    for personal file storage. Otherwise, you'll quickly run out of free
    space, and you need *lots* of free space (I like 25% or more) for WinXP
    to function well. Your best bet is to get another HD. They're relatively
    cheap, and migrate easily to any newer system you might purchase down
    the line

    Your RAM is also what I would consider minimum, and you will encounter
    slowness and other limitations with only that amount. 512 MB is getting
    into the comfort range, provided you aren't doing anything that's RAM
    intensive, like large image editing, movie editing, etc., or working
    with massive databases. The RAM issue becomes even more critical when
    you don't have much free space on disk. Any time you *have_to* start
    swapping data in and out of the Page file (aka Swap file) performance
    slows to a crawl (especially if your CPU is near minimums.)

    Yes, I believe "Upgrade Advisor" is the name of the hardware
    compatibility tester, though there is also, now, an Applications
    Compatibility Checker. This last, though is not for the average user.
    Takes an advanced degree in computer sciences just to figure out how to
    use the damned thing! It's intended for ITs of large organizations.

    As Haggis mentions, I prefer BootIt NG for partition and boot
    management. Cheaper than PM and better besides. www.bootitng.com

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User