print server/solution recommendation

Hi everyone,
I have an Epson stylus 600 parallel printer (no usb) and want to get a
print server for this so I can print from any machine in my house without
turning on another machine, (I would also perhaps like to connect a USB
scanner to it too laterm but this isn't an important factor).

I want to do it as cheaply as possible and also try and make it as future
proof as possible, so, if my 600 gives up I can get a usb printer to replace
it easily.

The combinations of solutions I have found are:
1) Get:
A) Belkin parallel to usb cable
B) USB port print server (how many ports?)

2) Get
A) Parallel to RJ45 adapter (connect this directly via rj45 to hub, can you
also get there for USB devices?)

3) Get
A) Multiport Parallel and USB print server

4) OTHER recommendation

With option 1) USB print servers seem to be quite expensive, I will also end
up buying a cable for £15 which one day will send up being wasted when the
printer dies.
With option 2) I am having trouble finding something which isn't bulky on
the back on the printer and cheap, it will be wasted once the printer dies,
it doesn't support usb for later on.
With option 3) I am finding that multiple port type print servers are quite
expensive, and then they only have 2 usb ports. Can you connect USB mini no
powered hubs to these?

Option 4 is for your guys to perhaps suggest another option for me that I
haven't thought of.

Many thx for your help/time
Stu

Stuart Palmer wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have an Epson stylus 600 parallel printer (no usb) and want to get a
> print server for this so I can print from any machine in my house without
> turning on another machine, (I would also perhaps like to connect a USB
> scanner to it too laterm but this isn't an important factor).
>
> I want to do it as cheaply as possible and also try and make it as future
> proof as possible, so, if my 600 gives up I can get a usb printer to replace
> it easily.
>
> The combinations of solutions I have found are:
> 1) Get:
> A) Belkin parallel to usb cable
> B) USB port print server (how many ports?)
>
> 2) Get
> A) Parallel to RJ45 adapter (connect this directly via rj45 to hub, can you
> also get there for USB devices?)
>
> 3) Get
> A) Multiport Parallel and USB print server
>
> 4) OTHER recommendation
>

> With option 1) USB print servers seem to be quite expensive, I will also end
> up buying a cable for £15 which one day will send up being wasted when the
> printer dies.
> With option 2) I am having trouble finding something which isn't bulky on
> the back on the printer and cheap, it will be wasted once the printer dies,
> it doesn't support usb for later on.
> With option 3) I am finding that multiple port type print servers are quite
> expensive, and then they only have 2 usb ports. Can you connect USB mini no
> powered hubs to these?
>
> Option 4 is for your guys to perhaps suggest another option for me that I
> haven't thought of.
>
> Many thx for your help/time
> Stu

Print servers were created when printers were quite expensive.
Therefore, you could afford some extra electronics in order to "Share"
these expensive beasts.

Today, printers aren't expensive at all..... the money is going to be
made selling supplies like ink and toner, not the basic printing hardware.

Therefore, the justification for print servers has declined.

The demand for print servers is way down.

Castelle and other companies no longer make print servers, or make very
few of them.

Sometimes, a print server costs about the same as an inkjet printer. As
demand drops, prices tend to rise... of print servers.

The era of print servers is mostly past.... you are looking for a way to
replace the purchase of multiple cheap devices (printers and scanners)
and there isn't going to be a large choice of these print servers
available cheaply.

I believe your search might be five years too late.

There isn't much market for what you seek..... right now.

The future may make your solution even less attractive, or it could make
it more attractive.

Wireless widespread could promote the consumer and business desire for
something like print servers and device sharers.

I can't guess the future.

miked

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

"Stuart Palmer" <tryandspamme@youcant.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I have an Epson stylus 600 parallel printer (no usb) and want to get a
> print server for this so I can print from any machine in my house without
> turning on another machine, (I would also perhaps like to connect a USB
> scanner to it too laterm but this isn't an important factor).
>
> I want to do it as cheaply as possible and also try and make it as future
> proof as possible, so, if my 600 gives up I can get a usb printer to
replace
> it easily.

I have a Netgear print server at home, purchased brand new on eBay for £35
(i.e. half the retail price). It has two parallel ports and feeds an HP
Laserjet 5L and Epson Stylus Photo 890. It is connected to a port on my
wireless router and shared by several PCs.

Installation was straightforward (the PCs have a combination of Win98 and
XP) and operation has been totally reliable so far. The only thing that
won't work on the Epson is ink status reporting.

I know you want a USB solution, and I can't offer you one, but I can tell
you that you can't connect a USB printer to a parallel port on a server.
Those cables are designed for direct connection to a PC with software
drivers installed.

Mike