Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi, Here is some good news first of all. SP2 is working
great on my machine, and with all my programs. Not one
problem (Shhhhh--I'm not talking to loud, dont want to
jinx it) But all is well.
I read some where on these forums about how to clean up
all my leftover stuff that SP2 puts on the computer after
install. I would like to clean it up and get rid of those
extra files, like sp2 made a copy of all my files in case
something went wrong. Where can I find all the un-
necesary things left behind.
I did search tthe forums but can't seem to find that
message.
Thanks

Hi Danny,

In addition to the setup file, you can also delete the
$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder hidden under C:\Windows if you hare happy
and have no intention of uninstalling SP2.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Danny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Here is some good news first of all. SP2 is working
> great on my machine, and with all my programs. Not one
> problem (Shhhhh--I'm not talking to loud, dont want to
> jinx it) But all is well.
> I read some where on these forums about how to clean up
> all my leftover stuff that SP2 puts on the computer after
> install. I would like to clean it up and get rid of those
> extra files, like sp2 made a copy of all my files in case
> something went wrong. Where can I find all the un-
> necesary things left behind.
> I did search tthe forums but can't seem to find that
> message.
> Thanks

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great thanks, where can I find the setup file, in c-
windows there are several, and I dont want to get rid of
the wrong thing.
Thanks for your help

Danny--

I found mine, but I'm not sure they apply to you because I got them from a
different server than you probably did if you downloaded via Windows Update
or the network download. Someone might be able to name the direct files,
but going to these logs should show you the setup file on your box, I
believe, and I think this page from Jupiter Jones' nice SP2 installation
part of his site should cover this for you without having to even go to the
logs. I just listed the KB with the logs as a backup which should show
where all SP2 installation files live

Save Space After Installing Updates
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Service Pack Installation Checklist

Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

Please pay special attention to Jupiter's caveat here in #6. His
instructions show you how to save maximal space safely:

"Do NOT delete "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles".
That file may be needed if you have problems later and sometimes for
hardware installations.
Some who really need the space burn this file to CD, but if space is that
important a larger or second hard drive is the better fix."

How do I remove the SP2 installation file XP auto downloaded?
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=907562

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2kb

Chad Harris
_________________________________

Great thanks, where can I find the setup file, in c-
windows there are several, and I dont want to get rid of
the wrong thing.
Thanks for your help

Danny--

I think the straight short answer to your question is that the "service pack
files" themselves, are e at C:Windows\ServicePackFiles in a folder labled
I386 which is what you'll find if you go there or type that in your run box.
If you installed to a different drive then C:\ because you had other OS's
including one already on C:\ drive then substitute the drive letter you
installed SP2 to.

*They* are just the files that Jupiter warns not to uninstall, so stick
with the files that Rick Rodgers and Jupiter's site both describe--(the
$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder). You will save enough space and not
jeapordize yourself later if you need that "setup."

Also this is consistent with this MSKB on uninstalling the files from MSFT:

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

Chad Harris
__________________________

"Danny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Great thanks, where can I find the setup file, in c-
windows there are several, and I dont want to get rid of
the wrong thing.
Thanks for your help

Hi Danny,

The setup files, if they were not automatically deleted at the end of setup,
will be in a root folder with a very long randomly lettered folder. Most
times this is already deleted for you. Do NOT delete the
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles folder. This is there as a safety valve if a
file gets corrupted in the main system folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Danny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Great thanks, where can I find the setup file, in c-
> windows there are several, and I dont want to get rid of
> the wrong thing.
> Thanks for your help

johnf

Danny, you can't find it because it's a hidden folder & you probably can't
see it.

Open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View.
Check the box that says "Show hidden files and folders"
Now click on the Windows folder in Explorer & on the right you'll see a
folder "$NtServicePackUninstall$" (probably in blue).
That's the one to delete.
--

johnf